VULCAN GROUND SUPPORT EQUIPMENT

tnuag

• 1 year later...

Well, it has taken FAR longer than we ever imagined, but the 1/72 Mandator is close to completion.

Without making any promises, it should be available from Hannants in January.

Apologies for the poor quality of the photos - my photo tent is currently packed away!

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

Hi tnuag,

I'm hoping for at least the tow bar in 1/48th scale for a XM607 diorama.

Well, it would also be nice to have the tug tractor, the 60 kva GPU and any bomb load vehicle.

Cheers.

Edited by Pajarito
Adding the GPU

Because there are no 1:48 Vulcan or Victor kits generally available, we are planning a 1:48 Mandator, Blue steel missile and personnel.

To this end the 1:48 bomb trolley is already available (https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/GE48063? ) together with the servicing crew ( https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/GE48300 ). We will also reissue the 1:48 Blue Steel missile (which has a removable tail cone to reveal the Stentor motor) when I have revised the design for 3D printing.

The 60 kva ground power unit is available in 1:48 - https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/GE48055

The thinking is that Mandator, Blue Steel and bomb trolley are all in 1:48 with figures, so you have a 1:48 Blue Steel diorama even without an aircraft.

We have not done a tractor and tow bar because no aircraft kits are generally available.

So much of your wish list is already in stock at Hannants.

5 hours ago, Dave Swindell said:

Hi Dave,

It's good to know about the GPU, it's just I was thinking of doing a diorama of XM607 being loaded for the first Black Buck mission.

5 hours ago, tnuag said:

We have not done a tractor and tow bar because no aircraft kits are generally available.

Hi Neil,

Just a thought here, but wouldn't it be a blast if those who have a 1/48 Vulcan B.Mk2 kit could order the Sentinel and the tow bar from you prior to the deposit of the required quid? The Vulcan kit in 1/48 is so huge that it does need something round it to give the approximate idea of the scale.

I'd deposit in advance for a 1/48 Sentinel and a tow bar right away.

Cheers.

Edited by Pajarito
Add his name to the reply to tnuag

1 - we only sell through Hannants by agreement.

2 - it is a very limited market - probably not a commercial proposition.

3 - If you want something to add atmosphere, there is already a GPU  and bomb trolley.

12 hours ago, Pajarito said:

I was thinking of doing a diorama of XM607 being loaded for the first Black Buck mission.

12 hours ago, Pajarito said:

a 1/48 Sentinel

The tractor at Wideawake on Ascension was the MD300, AIM have done one in 1/48 but unfortunately currently out of stock at Hannants

https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/GE48012L?result-token=SOMOt

4 hours ago, Dave Swindell said:

The tractor at Wideawake on Ascension was the MD300, AIM have done one in 1/48 but unfortunately currently out of stock at Hannants

https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/GE48012L?result-token=SOMOt

Hi Dave,

Wow, that's good news! Very nice, thank you. 

As for the tow bar, I might get one in 1/72 and try to upscale it to 1/48.

What was the vehicle with which to load the 1000-pounders like? I've got one for the USAF circa the Vietnam war.

Cheers.

4 hours ago, Pajarito said:

What was the vehicle with which to load the 1000-pounders like? I've got one for the USAF circa the Vietnam war.

A SABT (Standard Airfield Bomb Transporter) fitted with 2 cradles to carry 2 x bomb beams with 7 x 1000lb bombs each. 

The beam with 7 bombs attached was lifted into position as a complete unit with 2 hydraulic jacks

Note the 10-bomb setup shown at the end of the clip wasn't used in service due to separation issues when dropping them.

mid_000000.jpg?action=e&cat=Photographs THE ROYAL AIR FORCE, 1950-1969. © IWM (RAF-T 5195) IWM Non Commercial License

mid_000000.jpg?action=e&cat=Photographs THE ROYAL AIR FORCE, 1950-1969. © IWM (RAF-T 5196) IWM Non Commercial License

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi Dave,

Well, indeed; that's a lot helpful, many thanks, my mate!

Yes, the bomb cradle for the seven 1000-pounders will have to be checked, as it's a tad different from that in the Yellow Sun SABT.

But Jan's sketch in pencil of the SABT is just SUPERB. Very helpful.

I owe you big time, Dave. Thank you once again, chap.

Cheers,

Igna

2 hours ago, Pajarito said:

Yes, the bomb cradle for the seven 1000-pounders will have to be checked, as it's a tad different from that in the Yellow Sun SABT.

Note the Victor & Valiant cradles are a lot lower than those on Vulcan bomb trolleys due to the lack of ground clearance on the former.

On 12/8/2022 at 5:09 PM, tnuag said:

Hi Neil,

Any idea as to how long it might take for Hannants to have the tug tractor back in stock? 

I've asked them but I haven't gotten a reply yet.

Thanks a lot to both you and Dave for the help.

Cheers,

Igna

We stopped giving estimated delivery dates years ago, in case delays occur - our standard reply "subscribe to the Hannants Hot News sheet", so you know when an item arrives.

Edited by tnuag
correcion

Very well, Neil. Many thanks.

I just backordered one kit at Hannants in the hope that I'm noticed when they're back in stock.

Then I'm just short of the 1/48 tow bar for my diorama.

Working on the Dash 10 ECM pod and pylon.

Cheers.

• 2 months later...