VULCAN GROUND SUPPORT EQUIPMENT

tnuag

We have produced a comprehensive range of  ground support equipment in 1:72 to compliment the new Vulcan kit, with the final items due in 2021.

Here is a full list, together with the appropriate links to the Hannants website.

VULCAN GROUND SUPPORT EQUIPMENT

GE72050     Sentinel Tugmaster tractor     AVAILABLE FROM HANNANTS at https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/GE72050
GE72054     Vulcan tow bar     AVAILABLE FROM HANNANTS at https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/GE72054

GE72055     60 kva GPU     AVAILABLE FROM HANNANTS at https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/GE72055

GE72056     Safety Raiser     DESIGNED - AWAITING PRODUCTION

GE72057     Bedford Crew bus - IN WORK

GE72062     AEC Mandator Blue Steel transporter - IN WORK - see https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/GE72062

GE72063     Blue Steel bomb trolley AVAILABLE FROM HANNANTS at https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/GE72063

GE72064     Ground Power plinths     AVAILABLE FROM HANNANTS at https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/GE72064

GE72065     James Comet crew chief motorcycle - DESIGNED - AWAITING PRODUCTION

Edited by tnuag
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 2

That's a lovely shopping list Neil. I can't wait to see the AEC Mandator. I still can't believe that when I suggested it, many moons ago, you actually agreed that it would be possible.

I've been wanting like an excited kid at Christmas since then.

Doing the Bedford crew bus along with the Blue Steel trolley is an added bonus. 

This is going to be a good year after all. 

Edited by cngaero

Agreed - figurines are a different art form though.

Hippo is possible, as is the Mammoth - bowsers/refuellers are on the list, but I would like to cover all the RAF tractors first. The Clayton crawler in particular appeals!

Edited by tnuag
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

No - someone said they would try to get information, but I have heard nothing as yet

UPDATE - I drove over to Cosford yesterday (16 July 21), where I photographed and measured their WE177 trolley, with the help of Museum staff (to whom my thanks for their help).

Edited by tnuag
Additional information
  • Like 1

Neil,

Can you confirm the measurements for a Blue Steel handling trolley please? I have your AIM 3D printed one and it looks to be more like 1/48 scale than the 1/72 I ordered from Hannants. Using the SAM scale rule, in 1/48 it measures just shy of 23' long by 6'9" wide but using the 1/72 measurements it scales out at nearly 34' long by 10' wide. I also cannot get the (unbuilt lower half of) the Airfix Blue Steel to line up with the cradle points on the trolley as per reference photos.

Mark.

Yes Mark, you are correct. Checking back, the CAD master scale was marked up incorrectly.

I will advise Hannants tomorrow of the error.

To correct the error we will make a batch of 1:72 trolleys and anyone who has bought a trolley will receive a replacement in the correct scale.

It will probably take until September to achieve all this as we are now heading into the holiday season, but we will get them out as soon as we can, and our apologies for the error,

Tuesday 3rd August, 2021 - 1:72 trolleys produced

Here are some photos of the trolley in the correct scale, with the Blue Steel missile from the new Airfix 1:72 Vulcan kit.

They will go to Hannants with the next delivery.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Edited by tnuag
  • Like 4

Neil,

Many thanks for your quick response. And even more kudos for the steps now being taken to rectify the error, if only every company took such a positive approach to customer satisfaction!

Mark.

• Like 1

Update:

The 1:72 files have been produced and we are currently building a test item. If that is satisfactory, we will build the replacements and send them to Hannants.

As a bonus, I am driving down to Baggington (Midland Air Museum) this afternoon, to photograph and measure a Stentor motor. If all works out, each trolley will come with a motor which can be fitted to the Airfix missile.

I was not able to get access on Wednesday, so the motor will not happen at present. I will look at it as a Vulcan item layer (d.v.)

Edited by tnuag
revised info
  • Like 1

MANDATOR PROGRESS

I know that various people are waiting for our Mandator.

The initial design was finished in 2016, but I wasn't completely happy with it - it would have been very expensive to produce and so I put it to one side.

Then 3D printing arrived and I am vary impressed by the results that can be achieved, so I went back to the Mandator and started with a blank screen again.

These screen shots show progress to date - adding a lot of detail does take a long time. Anyway, it is coming along nicely now.

spacer.png

spacer.png

We have built the test chassis, wheels and some of the front end, and it all fits together so far.

Edited by tnuag
  • Like 3

FURTHER MANDATOR PROGRESS

As the front end is now finished, and only the load bed and lifting gear remains to be done, I thought these screen shots might be of interest.

spacer.png

INTERIOR MODULE

This is only 14.5mm long. It is done as a separate module for easier painting.

spacer.png

BONNET DETAILS

Working on screen, I find that you loose all sense of scale or size - it is just maths. The spring retainers on the side panel are only 1.86mm long, overall.

spacer.png

OUTRIGGER AND JACKS (Forward end of subframe)

I still have to add the hinge pins and retraction jacks - we will supply spares of these to replace those lost in the carpet.

spacer.png

Edited by tnuag
Additional information
  • Like 4

On 7/20/2021 at 10:45 PM, Harry Lime said:

Can you confirm the measurements for a Blue Steel handling trolley please? I have your AIM 3D printed one and it looks to be more like 1/48 scale than the 1/72 I ordered from Hannants.

Hi Neil 

@tnuag Slightly off topic but on a related issue, I have a similar feeling about the  1/72 RAF Type W "Wendy" Loader I ordered from Hannants.  I have not done any measuring but having built it, it does seem relatively large and I wondered if it might be 1/48.   Grateful if you could confirm if it is actually 1/72?

Thanks

Rich

And we are using the same method to resolve the problem. They should be going to Hannants with the next delivery.

Edited by tnuag
spelling corrected

A QUESTION OF SCALE

We have been considering a large scale model of the Mandator - say 1:24, as a model in its own right.

Would this be of interest to anyone?

It would not happen immediately, because we would need to source a larger printer.

Reactions please.

• 3 months later...

After a long silence, I hope to deliver v-bomber crew figures to Hannants in a couple of weeks (early December, 2021). We have already supplied six figures in protective clothing for defuelling Blue Steel.

Mandator production starts in December - delay was due to experiments in 3D printing transparent parts, combined with changes in personnel.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 7/15/2021 at 10:27 PM, tnuag said:

No - someone said they would try to get information, but I have heard nothing as yet

UPDATE - I drove over to Cosford yesterday (16 July 21), where I photographed and measured their WE177 trolley, with the help of Museum staff (to whom my thanks for their help).

Just saw this,  the vulcan used the Type "O" bomb trolley not the Cosford type "SA"

Type O

Selwyn