Inappropriate Company or product names

treker_ed

10 minutes ago, Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies said:

the word Sports in the abbreviation referred to the the things you could use the Utility Vehicle to support

Hmm... that's new one on me and I suspect it might be Volksetymologie. There is a long but fairly readable Wikipedia article that doesn't mention this derivation.  I think the term was coined for two reasons. 1. Exactly as your second paragraph above and 2. to differentiate them from cars when it came to emission standards. Until it was reformed the law of emission standards in the US treated them as light trucks and subject to softer regulations.

• Like 1

On 10/18/2021 at 8:49 PM, Ed Russell said:

I was being sarcastic but there is nothing "sporty" or "sportscar-like" about this generation of lumbering four-wheel drive trucks. Check out a picture of the Scat if you disagree!!!!!😆

(nicely placed in a thread about inappropriate names)

I dunno. The X5s at work are pretty sporty at 120+ mph, and can hold their own on smaller roads at high speeds. Not quite as planted as a 5 Series, I'll grant you, but they don't really need to be any sportier.

Jon

Edited by Jon Bryon
  • Like 1

I haven't had the pleasure but I imagine sitting behind the wheel of a Ferrari Purosangue or Porsche Cayenne may well be the equivalent of a sports car experience but my driving experience, which I dare say I can extrapolate to the vast majority of these unweildy top-heavy light trucks, is that they are about as sporty as a Ford Transit Van.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Stef N. said:

Schatton Modellbau. They look better than they sound.

Reminds me of the joke in The 12th Man where Richie Benaud's wine is called "Chateau Ovourdefleaur' lol

Edited by Brad
  • Haha 2

Vince,

that reminds me of a request I once heard at a disco, which went something like

"And now we have a request, are Mr & Mrs Dyer' 'ere, it's Run Run Run."

Edited by Whofan
  • Haha 3

Puts me in mind of a car and van hire business in Barnsley some years ago.  It wasn't called RentAWreck but by God, it should have been.  You took  your life in your hands when you drove one of their vehicles.  Their only plus point was they were cheap.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, 593jones said:

Puts me in mind of a car and van hire business in Barnsley some years ago.  

I went out with a girl in Barnsley and taught in the college there for a term back in the '70's.

Fondish memories of the place, to be be honest; but a while before SWMBO !!

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Whofan said:

I went out with a girl in Barnsley and taught in the college there for a term back in the '70's.

Fondish memories of the place, to be be honest; but a while before SWMBO !!

Only fondish memories?  You might have difficulty recognising Barnsley now, the college has been demolished and rebuilt, and they have been Remaking Barnsley for some years now, all plate glass and a large plaza (or possibly piazza) for Barnsleyites to take the sun and fresh air.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, 593jones said:

Only fondish memories?  You might have difficulty recognising Barnsley now, the college has been demolished and rebuilt, and they have been Remaking Barnsley for some years now, all plate glass and a large plaza (or possibly piazza) for Barnsleyites to take the sun and fresh air.

Ah, that's good.

Always nice to hear of improvements rather than just getting more fun down.

My fondish memories are of  ... shall we say the ladies I met there!!

Not all of whom were Barnsleyites!

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Another great Australian company is Bowdens Own range of car care products. Made in Queensland and as good as anything else out there. They market their products using memorable names and Aussie humour. Some are near the knuckle but I'm not aware of anyone being offended as there aimed at car enthusiasts, our Gkids laugh at the names while helping to wash the car. Here are a couple of them . I'll let you look up some of the other on their web site.

p?i=cee8f7bf9759448b06ecd6fe561cd39cp?i=26d3fb1a839f678153676fae0d0f4548

even their cloth instructions have a humorous twistp?i=134e789d12eceaf4f99aeaa8a28ba2cd

• Like 2
  • Haha 6

9 hours ago, Stef N. said:

I was told about this and it does actually exist. Stick it on your noodles.😀

spacer.pngspacer.png

Have seen that in my local Morrisons along with, and i quote.... Cock Flavoured Soup! 😬

Regards,

Steve

• Haha 6

On 12/4/2021 at 12:25 AM, 593jones said:

I've been to Barnsley.

Sun?

Fresh air?

• Haha 3

11 hours ago, Admiral Puff said:

I've been to Barnsley.

Sun?

Fresh air?

Lots of both.  Since all the pits and factories in the area have closed Barnsley has very clean air.  No money, but very clean air.

• Haha 3