Inappropriate Company or product names

treker_ed

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, dogsbody said:

Sport Utility Vehicle

I was being sarcastic but there is nothing "sporty" or "sportscar-like" about this generation of lumbering four-wheel drive trucks. Check out a picture of the Scat if you disagree!!!!!😆

(nicely placed in a thread about inappropriate names)

• Haha 4

11 hours ago, Ed Russell said:

Japanese manufacturers seem to have excremental taste in naming things.

Two Japanese tip-trucks are the Isuzu GIGA Light Dump and the Mazda Titan Dump. An early Japanese “SUV” (whatever that stands for) was the Daihatsu Scat.

Perhaps the origins of the rhyming slang.

In Lowestoft and Great Yarmouth area I've seen .....The  Ferkin Driving School ... Not too bad except they stuck a RED L in between Ferkin and Driving School  n the roof  and boot signage ...

The Ferkin L Driving School !  

In The Hamptons Long Island I saw a grass cutting and general gardening service

Turf's Up 

• Haha 6

11 hours ago, Ed Russell said:

Japanese manufacturers seem to have excremental taste in naming things.

Two Japanese tip-trucks are the Isuzu GIGA Light Dump and the Mazda Titan Dump. An early Japanese “SUV” (whatever that stands for) was the Daihatsu Scat.

Friend of a friend at music college wrote a dissertation on the jazz style of “scat” singing. They got called in to the Head of College who’d received a report from IT about the search terms they’d been using on the college library computers...

• Haha 3

54 minutes ago, Mike said:

was the Daihatsu Scat.

Never realised they made it to Australia but that one clearly is - they were even called Scats I see. Although this seller is keen to note it has Deluxe written on it, not Scat.

https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/heywood/cars-vans-utes/1982-daihatsu-f50-manual-suv/1282661135

• 2 weeks later...
On 30/10/2021 at 09:35, Hoppy said:

The Aussie classic " Start Ya Ba....d" now has a brother spray " Shift Ya Ba....d "

https://www.nulon.com.au/products/aerosols/shift-ya-sweetheart-multi-purpose-lube-spray

2 hours ago, Hoppy said:

I've always wanted a can of SYB on my garage shelf, just for the kudos :D not sure its available in the UK and shipping aerosols, especially highly flammable ones, is probably a no-no! I love the bottle opener!

Cheers,

Mark

EDIT:

Its £5.95GBP on eBay for 150mg, shipping cost from Oz £105.27!!! :rofl2:

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, 2996 Victor said:

I've always wanted a can of SYB on my garage shelf, just for the kudos :D not sure its available in the UK and shipping aerosols

Can you imagine all the moaners that would be "offended" by having something called that on shop shelves...

• Haha 2

On 9/20/2021 at 7:40 PM, AV O said:

As we are on aeroplane modelling forum, this one is spot on  :

http://www.aeronautic.dk/A340-600 Airbus House Color.htm

When the door is open :

Proto-A-340-600.jpg

That's like the TV trick when they interview Arsenal players outside the stadium.  As if by magic, the frame always shows the first four letters of the club's name, right above the player's head.

• Haha 7

On 10/18/2021 at 8:49 PM, Ed Russell said:

I was being sarcastic but there is nothing "sporty" or "sportscar-like" about this generation of lumbering four-wheel drive trucks. Check out a picture of the Scat if you disagree!!!!!😆

(nicely placed in a thread about inappropriate names)

As I understand it, the word Sports in the abbreviation referred to the the things you could use the Utility Vehicle to support - they were marketed as being good at driving overland for out door sports such as hiking, camping, mountain biking and the likes hence the high ground clearance, large interior space and 4 wheel drive.

A marketing stroke of genius in my opinion because they're everywhere. It turns out few people identify as being inactive and buy normal large saloon cars or as being vain and under-equipped and buy an actual sports car. Car choice for many has little to do with what one needs or even enjoys and has a lot to do with how one imagines they'll be perceived by total strangers.

• Like 2