Inappropriate Company or product names

treker_ed

Saw a furniture shop called Sofa King today online. Their prices were Sofa King low.  Say it quickly, then wash your mouth out with soap. :blush:

• Haha 12

Regularly travel down to Plymouth, and off the A38 there used to be a farm shop that always made me smile - sadly they have changed their name in the last 18 months or so. But they used to be called ....

The Well Hung Meat Company!

• Haha 4

I live near a place called RUCKERS CANYON.

There are signs near  my house that point the way to this beautiful national treasure. The signs are green with white letters.

But, occasionally, the local " hooligans" paint little blobs of green over the short leg of the letter R,  and a bit on the curved part .... turning the R, into an F ....

• Haha 5

During my 30+ years in the airline industry, I've had many opportunities to work in various different departments.

At one point in my career, I was placed in 'Ticketing' and one day a Canadian customer approached me and asked if I could take him back to Regina..... (note - rhymes with women's personal parts).

Being young and stupid, I couldn't help myself and said 'That sounds like a fantastic place, can I come too?' My female colleague's weren't too impressed and to my surprise neither was the Canadian gentleman ... oh well, you know what they say about small minds!    

Cheers.. Dave 

• Haha 7

10 hours ago, Little Timmy said:

But, occasionally, the local " hooligans" paint little blobs of green over the short leg of the letter R,  and a bit on the curved part .... turning the R, into an F ....

It's like the missing C and S in Canal Street here in Chester :shrug:

• Haha 9

4 hours ago, 593jones said:

Outside the village of Jump, here in South Yorkshire, was a sign saying 'Jump 1 mile'.  It was stolen so frequently I'm not sure they bothered replacing it after the last time.

There is an "Engineer's Country Club" in a village on the North Shore of Long Island, east of NYC. As I was getting my Naval Architecture degree nearby, their entrance sign may or may not have ended up in our drawing room in the dorm. :whistle:

I suspect secure mounting and video monitoring have been present for a while.

• Confused 1

I believe this Austrian Hotel which is found in a small village not far from my relatives' home in Carinthia may bring a smile to the lips ..... 

hotel

• Haha 11

13 hours ago, Mancunian airman said:

Rumour from my youth has it that the Australian beer that carried the letter four XXXX had to replace what was on the tin because they werent allow to put the word SHXT . . . .

That's a good description of the contents of the can, but the real reason "XXXX" is there is because Queenslanders can't spell "beer".

• Haha 14

24 minutes ago, Admiral Puff said:

That's a good description of the contents of the can, but the real reason "XXXX" is there is because Queenslanders can't spell "beer".

To set the record straight XXXX was named after an industry beer strength measurement (i.e. 4x), however being a local I do agree with the other 'taste' and 'spelling' analogies mentioned above! 

Cheers.. Dave  

• Like 2
  • Haha 6

19 hours ago, Whofan said:

I believe this Austrian Hotel which is found in a small village not far from my relatives' home in Carinthia may bring a smile to the lips ..... 

hotel

That's it Mister, you're grounded! :fight:

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 7

Not a company or product  but similar in nature. 

There used to be a nice little luncheon near my office. To accommodate the international crowd, they provided the menu in English, too. Great food, good price but the translations in the menu might have benefitted a more careful consideration. “Cheesy vegetable patties” were excellent if you dared to taste them. 

• Haha 1

Just now, Mjoo said:

Not a company or product  but similar in nature. 

There used to be a nice little luncheon near my office. To accommodate the international crowd, they provided the menu in English, too. Great food, good price but the translations in the menu might have benefitted a more careful consideration. “Cheesy vegetable patties” were excellent if you dared to taste them. 

Foreign translations are sometimes unintentionally hilarious, but they're starting to be considered racist - "Chinglish" for example.  It's frowned upon and best left out :) There's enough fodder out there from people that should be able to speak English though, as they've been brought up with it, and allegedly went to school for several years :shrug:

1 minute ago, Mike said:

Foreign translations are sometimes unintentionally hilarious, but they're starting to be considered racist - "Chinglish" for example.  It's frowned upon and best left out :) There's enough fodder out there from people that should be able to speak English though, as they've been brought up with it, and allegedly went to school for several years :shrug:

Ok, duly noted. No offence intended.

1 hour ago, Mike said:

That's it Mister, you're grounded! :fight:

Grounded?

Over a perfectly legitimate German word? 

I say old chap. a touch ferocious, what ?? 😇

Edited by Whofan
  • Haha 3

Whatever you do: do NOT google for the website for van der Mark B.V. Manure transport.
No, it's not the standard vandermarktransport.somethingorother . 

You could check the image link of course....

img-e3366.jpg

• Haha 7

On 7/15/2021 at 10:47 AM, MikeC said:

There are even examples in our own hobby, one that comes to mind is Aeropoxy.  https://aeropoxy.wordpress.com/

Probably very good kits, but they need to work on the name.

Well, in 1993, when we start kit production and  considering the name of company , we use "MultiPoxy" epoxy resin (Germany MULTIPLEX company produced)  for our kits casting.

Being Aeroplane related, name was chosen, AEROPOXY.

Just few years ago, found that company with same name, AEROPOXY , ( as @Boss Man also mentioned)  was established in USA, producing Aero and marine laminating resins .

So, after nearly 30 years of resin kits production weell don't bother with name changing .

If this sound's inappropriate in  English , even  "POXY"  was informal word  or slang , i can live with this , hoping the rest of the world will not have such allusions.

Edited by Supercuber
  • Like 2

There was a chap, Anu, just outside New Delhi, who owned a fax and telephone shop.

Anus Communications……

Graham

• Haha 4