Inappropriate Company or product names

treker_ed

19 minutes ago, Max Headroom said:

Ahh, Pocari Sweat - a rather unfortunate name but a brilliant hangover cure!

Always had a can or two of that in the fridge when I was working in the shipyards in Japan!

• Haha 1

I used to love Dave Gorman’s show on Absolute Radio. He had an imaginary street with real shop names. Here’s a flavour 

https://web.archive.org/web/20140529221704/http://www.absoluteradio.co.uk/onair/dave-gorman/features/pun-street/pun-street-yellow-pages.html

Trevor

• Like 2

13 hours ago, dnl42 said:

There are a host of entirely innocent words in one language that are quite bad in another. A homonym for the Polish word for Auntie is not suited to polite Spanish conversation.

I have a Hyundai Kona which is apparently named after an area of the Hawaiian islands. All good it seems...... except in Portugese the word Kona is a rude word to describe a certain part of the female anatomy! 😬 So they renamed the car as the Kauai. In Polish it means dying in pain and is apparently Norweigen for 'the wife' 😀

Regards,

Steve

• Haha 6

On 15/07/2021 at 10:58, spruecutter96 said:

In the early Jurassic period, I read a read a review for a 1/72nd Pucara model. The Argentinian company that made it was called "Puky". The reviewer stated that it fitted together so poorly that it would be less effort to completely scratch-build the aircraft. One for collectors only, then. 

Chris.  

I was given this "kit" as a birthday present a very very very long time ago.

It was made of plastic closer to bakelite than styrene. Common plastic glue didn't work so contact glue was necessary. The cockpit was absent - it was in the form of Frog's oldest models (a pilot head sticking out of a flat surface). The (toy-like) props were made of some very soft ABS-like plastic.

Having located a wreck of the kit the shape was pretty good. 🤣

I was 8 years old so I loved it!

The one good thing was a perfectly clear canopy 😁

Cheers, Moggy the Memorious

The Chevrolet Nova has an unsaleable name in spanish-speaking countries;. "no va" meaning "doesn't work" or "doesn't run".

It ended up being marketed as the "Chevy"

Cheers, Moggy

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, Pig of the Week said:

spacer.png

Indeed..!

If folks fancy a laugh, google what the Afrikaans word for "child" is. Be warned, it is a VERY bad word in English (but spelt with a "K"). 

Chris. 

Edited by spruecutter96
Amending some information.
  • Like 1

We have a village in Kent called Charing.

It also is the site for a crematorium ................. and yes there is a sign post that say's ..... Charing

Crematorium   ->>>

Dick

I had a burning desire to tell you that.

• Haha 2

Also the road that joins the M2 with the M20 called Detling Hill  has a village off it called Hucking, and there is a u- turn for it.

Yes and a sign that says       Hucking

U- Turn.

Dick

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, jenko said:

Also the road that joins the M2 with the M20 called Detling Hill  has a village off it called Hucking, and there is a u- turn for it.

Yes and a sign that says       Hucking

U- Turn.

Dick

I bet that gets "clarified" with a bit of graffiti occasionally ;)

1 hour ago, Pig of the Week said:

I bet that gets "clarified" with a bit of graffiti occasionally ;)

Funnily No. It's in the middle of the dual carriage way and the speed limit is 70MPH.  Too dangerous even for the local morons.

Dick

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Black Knight said:

Wasn't there once a story that the name Roll Royce gave one of their new models was German for dog faeces?

17 minutes ago, Pig of the Week said:

I'm intrigued as to the name now..!  

Quote - The name “Silver Shadow” doesn’t cause any problems in different languages. However, the car was originally intended to be called “Silver Mist” - Rolls-Royce had to ditch that name because in German, “Mist” is a different word for “dirt” or “crap”. Silver Shadow really is a better name for a luxurious sedan that “Silver S---”.

from; https://www.carthrottle.com/post/49rx9gg/      #16 on the list

dictionary translation, meaning #1; https://www.collinsdictionary.com/dictionary/german-english/mist

• Haha 3

On 15/07/2021 at 21:22, Stef N. said:

I'm not sure if this is inappropriate or just a terrible name for a hairdressers in Letchworth. It's not one you can forget so maybe it's a good one?!🤔😀

spacer.png

They've left these premises now, but I assure you this is genuine.

hairdressing-KeithRichards-Bedworth.JPG

On the subject of "rude" names, there's a builders' merchant called Cox Long.  Their trucks had something like "You've no problems when you're Cox Long" on the doors.  😶

Edited by Six97s
  • Haha 4

On 13/07/2021 at 19:54, Mike said:

I actually saw an Estate Agent in Devon once, and it was something along the lines of "Ripoff & Leggitt" like you often see.  There's probably a photo in the family album somewhere :photo:

That seems reasonable ;)

There was definitely a Devonian estate agent named Letcher & Scorer - somewhere in the family archives is a photo of one of their signs.

Cheers,

Mark

• Like 1
  • Haha 2