Inappropriate Company or product names

treker_ed

I lived in China for seven years, and a popular soft drink was Pocari Sweat (I think it's from Japan). Always thought that was an unusual brand name to encourage people to drink your product...

Tasted quite nice though.

Jon

Years ago, when I used to be an HGV driver, I frequently saw on the roads in the UK and on the continent, trucks and trailers from an Italian haulage company. I can't remember their exact name, but it was something like "Trasporto Italiano.....and the third word began with a T. But what made it amusing was that they were known by their initial letters, which were emblazoned along the sides of the dark blue trailers, in big yellow letters. Someone must have twigged eventually, as they've changed the name of the company.

John.

• Haha 4

53 minutes ago, Bullbasket said:

But what made it amusing was that they were known by their initial letters, which were emblazoned along the sides of the dark blue trailers, in big yellow letters.

Lol,reminds me of DelBoys 'Trotters Independent Traders'.....

• Haha 5

I’m not sure if they still exist but there used to be cleaning contractor in these parts called Beaver Cleaning and Maintenance. 

It always made the immature among us laugh. 

Cheers

James 

• Like 2
  • Haha 13

In a previous job I used to deal with a company over in Bognor called Wayne Kerr Electronics. Was always amusing when the receptionist answered the phone saying "Hello, Wayne Kerr?" 😲

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

This was taken in France in 2012 when I was on Holiday in Normanday for a week or so in and around St Malo with the wife and her parents. We just happened to be driving round and saw this... 

spacer.png

All together now.. I like big buts and I cannot lie........ :tmi:

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

On 13/07/2021 at 21:43, spruecutter96 said:

Many moons ago, I saw a newspaper advert for a funeral company called "Eric F. Box". Appropriate... or otherwise?

Chris.  

The Funeral Directors we used for my parents were Box and Sons. The personalised  plate on the hearse was "1BOX"

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

In the early Jurassic period, I read a review for a 1/72nd Pucara model. The Argentinian company that made it was called "Puky". The reviewer stated that it fitted together so poorly that it would be less effort to completely scratch-build the aircraft. One for collectors only, then. 

Chris.  

Edited by spruecutter96
Correcting a typo.
  • Haha 2

30 minutes ago, MikeC said:

There are even examples in our own hobby, one that comes to mind is Aeropoxy.  https://aeropoxy.wordpress.com/

Probably very good kits, but they need to work on the name.

When you said it, I assumed you meant the long-established brand name of epoxy structural adhesive popular in aviation.

01-00295.jpg

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Not a company name but I have seen a few amusing product descriptions in my time working in supermarket land, both when they go through the till and on the price tickets themselves.

I think the best one would be this for a squeaky rubber chicken dog toy: "Latex Poultry".

Mike.:lol:

• Haha 1

• treker_ed changed the title to Inappropriate Company or product names

Thought I'd open it up a bit more to include products as well - I'm sure there are a few out there...

Read once that the NOVA didn't sell very well in Mexico when GM/Vauxhall tried to launch it in that country. Why? Well NO VA means no go in Spanish. :oops: A little bit of research would have helped me thinks.....

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

4 minutes ago, treker_ed said:

Thought I'd open it up a bit more to include products as well - I'm sure there are a few out there...

Read once that the NOVA didn't sell very well in Mexico when GM/Vauxhall tried to launch it in that country. Why? Well NO VA means no go in Spanish. :oops: A little bit of research would have helped me thinks.....

There are a host of entirely innocent words in one language that are quite bad in another. A homonym for the Polish word for Auntie is not suited to polite Spanish conversation.

6 minutes ago, dnl42 said:

There are a host of entirely innocent words in one language that are quite bad in another. A homonym for the Polish word for Auntie is not suited to polite Spanish conversation.

Finland and Norwich football legend, Teemu Pukki, has a surname that is reportedly a very rude Malay slang word. So don't wear one of his shirts the next time you're in Kuala Lumpur.😲😀

Not a bad name, but Two businesses that should'nt be nextdoor to each other .

We have a funeral home next to a storage facility. Their signs are right next to each other...

MORTUARY.       SELF STORAGE

• Haha 3

How about this....

Milton Keynes Crematorium is in an area called Crownhill.

The residential area of Crownhill is named after famous people - Mercury Drive, Munroe Avenue, Hudson Avenue, Hendrix Drive, Orbison Court....

Has anyone spotted the common thread about the names yet?

Yep - All the road names are named after famous people that are dead....

Great bit of town planning that put the crematorium next to an estate of dead movie stars!

• Haha 3