Indonesian F-51Ds and rocket launchers

RidgeRunner

To while away time until I get my decals sorted for my Fitter, I am tackling a Mustang from the pile. This machine, like others in Indonesia, had Swiss-made rocket launchers but not of the same type as used by the Swiss themselves. Does anyone out there have an image of these so that I can scratch build? 

Thanks a lot.

Martin

Perfect! In fact I’d forgotten that I’ve been to that museum too! Thanks a lot for prompting this old brain :).

My next question is when we’re these introduced? Mike @72modeler, any thoughts? 

Martin

• Like 1

I believe all Indonesian Mustangs were ex-Dutch - I don't recall seeing these launchers on "our" P-51's, so my guess would be this was a post-1950 mod.

The rails in Airfix's new toool MiG-17 look close enough for gouvernment work.

Cheers,

Andre

Martin,

Here's another photo of a preserved Indonesian AF Mustang showing the same style of HVAR's and pylons as  on H-307. Note that the pylons appear to be mounted in the same location as the factory  rocket stub pylons; also notice that the pylons do not fit the curvature of the wings, which leads me to believe that they might have been taken from another aircraft type and adapted for use on the Mustang- will do some sleuthing! (Looks like a lot of fun scratchbuilding them!) Indonesian Mig-17's appear to have a similar rocket fit, from the photos I was able to find, so perhaps @Hook's suggestion of using modified Airfix Mig-17 pylons might be a good starting point.

Mike

https://www.airliners.net/photo/Indonesia-Air-Force/North-American-P-51K-Mustang/977389/L

You sure can pick 'em!

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, 72modeler said:

@Hook's suggestion of using modified Airfix Mig-17 pylons might be a good starting point.

Sadly they are quite different, Mike :(. Nevertheless I now have some great photos of them and for that I am grateful to everyone :)

Martin

• Like 1

@RidgeRunner

Martin,

Looking at those HVAR's again, did you notice that the fins of the upper and lower rocket in each pair are locked together by means of the notches at the rear of each fin? That's going to really complicate scratch building and mounting them. (Or should I just learn to keep my big mouth shut?)

I do believe you have built more 1/72 P-51D's in the markings of foreign users than anybody else I know!

Mike

14 hours ago, Fredag said:

Aren't the Indonesian Mustangs actually P-51D models, taken over form the Dutch when they left the region?. 

I think all of the first batch of Mustangs that Indonesia got were ex-Dutch P-51K's; not sure if the second batch that came from Cavalier Aircraft in Florida were D's or K's, but were most likely D's. From what I have read, almost all of the WW2 P-51K's did not go to USAAF units, but to other nations. The Aeroproducts prop used on the K's gave a lot of trouble, and were hard to keep in balance, from what I have read, and it didn't take long for USAAF crew chefs to ditch them and re-fit their charges with the Hamilton  Standard prop.

Mike

• Like 1

On 7/17/2021 at 8:41 AM, Fredag said:

Aren't the Indonesian Mustangs actually P-51D models, taken over form the Dutch when they left the region?. 

They initially received Ds from Dutch NEIAF stock. They were, of course, ex-USAF/USAAF. Later they got Cavalier Ds, sans tip tanks.

My subject is a standard D and ex-Dutch. 

Martin

On 7/16/2021 at 7:41 PM, 72modeler said:

That's going to really complicate scratch building and mounting them

Well, Mike, I'm not going with rockets. I'll be buildingthe rails from various sizes of Plastruct rod. I have a plan ;). It will be fiddly and each rail will use 12 parts!

Martin

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, RidgeRunner said:

It will be fiddly and each rail will use 12 parts!

You sure know how to have fun, Martin!

Mike

BTW, the link describes and shows Cavalier-built  Mustangs used by Indonesia. Thought you or others might find it of interest. When we were stationed at Dyess AB at Abilene, TX from 1960-65, there was a Cavalier Mustang and a P-51B/C that were based at the municipal airport. Wish I had taken pictures! Martin Kyburz's website is a good one for Mustang modelers and he is a regular contributor to the P-51SIG.

https://www.swissmustangs.ch/cavalier-mustangs.shtml

• Haha 1

58 minutes ago, 72modeler said:

Wish I had taken pictures! Martin Kyburz's website is a good one for Mustang modelers and he is a regular contributor to the P-51SIG.

Thanks Mike. A well "thumbed" reference ;)

Martin