Flypast to mark the Presentation Of Colours To Parachute Regiment Colchester 13th July 2021

I heard that there would be a six-aircraft military flypast over Merville Barracks Colchester to mark the Presentation of Colours to the 1st, 2nd and 3rd Battalions of The Parachute Regiment by the Colonel In Chief, HRH The Prince of Wales.

My imagination ran away with all the possibilities, so I jumped in the car and made the trip to Colchester, hoping for the BBMF Dakota, Hercules, A400M, Chinook, Puma and maybe even a C-17....

The event centred on the parade square in Merville barracks, where I understand there were three guards drawn from the three battalions and the old Colours were marched off for the last time. The Consecration Service followed and the new Colours were presented to the three Battalions. Activity on the Parade Square was followed by the flypast and a free-fall display by the Red Devils.

I was somewhat disappointed with some of the six participants of the flypast!! That will teach me to let my imagination run away with me!

DSC_9356.jpg

DSC_9372.jpg

DSC_9374.jpg

DSC_9381.jpg

DSC_9386.jpg

Thanks for looking.

• Like 12
  • Haha 1

• Alpha Delta 210 changed the title to Flypast to mark the Presentation Of Colours To Parachute Regiment Colchester 13th July 2021

Does seem to be a bit misaligned, would have expected a Dakota and Hercules to have made an appearance! Good to see these though, greatvpics as ever. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Parabat said:

Does seem to be a bit misaligned, would have expected a Dakota and Hercules to have made an appearance! Good to see these though, greatvpics as ever. 

Misaligned indeed! I can't for the life of me see the relevance of the biplanes! I was hoping for a formation of modern heavies (whether they are cleared for parachute drops or not!😉) Pleased that you enjoyed them, though.

1 hour ago, canberraman said:

Can't win 'em all!  Some lovely shots of what was there and others in your imagination of what wasn't!

Mark

I'm glad that you enjoyed the pictures, Mark and I will continue to let my imagination run free!🤣

1 hour ago, Head in the clouds. said:

If you work your imagination a little harder you may see three F35's in the first photo, maybe it is a new holographic countermeasure system, they think we have biplanes but in fact we have at least 3 stealth fighters!

You know what, you're right! That new-fangled technology is awesome!👻

32 minutes ago, Latinbear said:

A curious choice in the biplanes! Has the A400 now been certified to drop paratroops? 

Good set of shots though and thanks for posting them.

I couldn't agree more, Latinbear! I am happy to be corrected, but I don't think the United Kingdom has yet cleared its Airbus A400M Atlas for tactical parachuting of airborne forces. With the retirement of the Hercules on the horizon, they had better get their collective finger out!

Glad you enjoyed the pictures.

6 minutes ago, ColinChipmunkfan said:

Cost cutting again,  Maybe the MoD are planning the Paras to hold on to the wing struts of the biplanes as they did in the old days.

Colin

Ha ha! Following on from that thought, there is previous of Apaches carrying troops on the exterior but those were Marines 😂

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, ColinChipmunkfan said:

Cost cutting again,  Maybe the MoD are planning the Paras to hold on to the wing struts of the biplanes as they did in the old days.

Colin

Don't give the bean counters ideas, Colin!🤣

11 hours ago, Alan P said:

Ha ha! Following on from that thought, there is previous of Apaches carrying troops on the exterior but those were Marines 😂

🤣We can't discuss Paras and Marines in the same breath!

Rather like the 'Little Boats' at Dunkirk, some Civvies step up and lend the under resourced Armed Forces a helping hand.

Where is Captain Mainwaring? I'm sure he'd approve :)

Seriously though, nice of them to show some support, and nice pictures.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Smudge said:

Rather like the 'Little Boats' at Dunkirk, some Civvies step up and lend the under resourced Armed Forces a helping hand.

Where is Captain Mainwaring? I'm sure he'd approve :)

Seriously though, nice of them to show some support, and nice pictures.

Thanks Smudge. Glad you enjoyed them. There was a very informative piece on Forces News on the evening of the ceremony.

• 3 weeks later...
15 minutes ago, jhutchi said:

I work in Colchester and saw the 2 Apaches, pity I didn't get to see the A-400 though 

Shame that you didn't see the Atlas. It made quite an impressive sight.

I've just heard from a friend in Colchester that he saw the Red Arrows over the town about an hour ago on their way home after the Folkestone Air Show. Did you see them?

1 hour ago, Alpha Delta 210 said:

Shame that you didn't see the Atlas. It made quite an impressive sight.

I've just heard from a friend in Colchester that he saw the Red Arrows over the town about an hour ago on their way home after the Folkestone Air Show. Did you see them?

No, we live a bit outside of Colchester so didn't see anything. I did see a Spitfire IX on Wednesday flying near Earls Colne though