Revell 1/72 Avro Shackleton MR.3

Afternoon all,

Happy to present my latest offering, a kit I've owned for some time and bought at a bargain price of 21£ brand new from a discount store in Cornwall.

I recently visited the Cornwall Aviation Heritage Museum at Newquay and was lucky enough to have been given permission to look around WR985, an Avro Shackleton MR.3 recently arrived in sections from Long Marston, where it had been decaying for years.

The build itself was quite straight forward, with no major issues - the size of the fuselage meant the join seams between both sections along the top and bottom were a bit of a pain to fill. Also, despite filling the nose and engine area with significant amounts of weight, she was still a tail sitter. I managed to cram some more in the wings, which inevitably meant she was so heavy that the gear gave way. In the end, some blue tack and ball bearings at the front of the bomb bay solved this! Also, the canopy piece was partly fogged out the box, it took Revell several weeks to dispatch a replacement part, but in the meantime a friend donated his clear sprue to enable me to continue the build, so thanks for that.

Although Revell included WR985 as a kit livery, I elected to model XF703 with this being an RAF St Mawgan based example. Photographed outside as the finished kit was just to big to capture nicely indoors.

spacer.png

IMG-1654.png

IMG-1674.png

IMG-1590.png

IMG-1632.png

IMG-1638.png

Next up maybe?

51227109431_0838615d52_b.jpg

Edited by NavyWessex
  • Like 65

Magnificent! You should be proud of this one! Let's see- took two weeks to build and a month to mask and paint all the props! Seriously, that is some serious modeling! :like:

Mike

• Like 1

She is absolutely beautiful!  Of all the Shacks I think the MR.3 is the ugliest (well, ugly might be harsh, I'll go with 'least nice') but I might be re-considering..

Al.

• Like 1

Looks fantastic,..... I`m very tempted to get one of these and built it as a SAAF one,....... you`ve done a great hob on yours!

Cheers

Tony

Absolutely beautiful model of my favourite aircraft as you might be able to tell from my avatar.

I noticed your based in Plymouth, are you part of one of the clubs there? Would love to see the model in the flesh if the 2022 model show goes ahead

That's a beautiful Shackleton! I've actually got a piece of WR985 in my garage, I must get around to sending it to them!