Mitsubishi F-2A 3rd TFS 60th Ann. Digital Scheme - minor update 03/10

no photos today, but spent most of it putting on all the other decals, what a job as 90% of them don't stand out from the white decal base as they are white.

Not helped by whoever designed the decals didn't talk or wasn't on talking terms with whoever printed them!! As the decal numbers were mixed up and all over the place plus quite a few were wrong!! 

That said they still are very nice decals to work with....still have a couple of dozen to still find/put on!

I have been looking over what I have left to do and there is no way I'll be able to complete her in time.

95% of the decals are on her, then the clear, panel lines, flat or semi flat coat, plus all the era's I haven't started yet (weapons etc).

So seems best not to rush her, plus some paint I need for the canopy, no decals for those parts, has not arrived yet.

Thinking I'll be joining quite a few other in the annual KUTA GB later this year!

But she will be completed.

• Like 3

I had just clear coated the F-4EJ with a coat of Tamiya’s new lacquer clear and was so impressed just how good this paint was I decided to clear coat this one as well.

To be honest I still have a few tiny decals that should have gone on…. but I really doubt anyone could tell they were not there…….. so they are not there!

This clear didn’t fix the issues caused by the SMS clear but I did get a really nice shiny finish. The final Flat clear will hide the blemishes caused by the reaction on the SMS clear.

These are photo, before the clear coat.

IMG_6210-L.jpg

IMG_6211-L.jpg

IMG_6212-L.jpg

Even before the KUTA GB, I’ll still work on her as time permits between other builds.

• Like 6

• trickyrich changed the title to Mitsubishi F-2A 3rd TFS 60th Ann. Digital Scheme - minor update 15-9
On 9/16/2021 at 11:57 PM, helios16v said:

So Tamiya lacquer clears are the cat's meow, eh?  I'll have to try to get me some to try.  I've been using the Tamiya acrylics for clears of late.

I was really impressed just how nicely and easily they were to use and go on. defiantly worth a try and they're reasonably cheap as well.

Well this one is now officailly consigned to the KUTA GB, if time permits I may work on her there and there before then. I do want to finish her and there's really not that much left to do.

The decal were so nice to use, highly recommended!! The SMS clear..... well again this stuff has let me done, some adverse reaction with the main colour and even one the plastic underneath! I've used the same combo's of paint on other builds and no issues...... it's just too unpredictable for me, so off to bun with that stuff. On the brighter side Tamiya's LP rate of clears seem to work perfectly so may switch over to them for all future work.

Thank you to all the that followed and commented. I May still update this thread as I continue here, or look for it in the KUTA GB.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I'm still doing little bits on this build here and there when I have free time.

She has been given a 2nd sealing coat of gloss, then a panel wash.

A but hard to see on the upper surfacers but the underneath looks good, even the right amount for dirtiness as well.

For the final clear coat I'm not sure if it should be a semi-gloss of flat coat. I suspect it'll tend towards a more semi-flat finish....sort of what the F-4EJ should be.

Anyway will probably paint this at the same time as the Phantom.

IMG_6355-L.jpg

IMG_6354-L.jpg

• Like 5

• trickyrich changed the title to Mitsubishi F-2A 3rd TFS 60th Ann. Digital Scheme - minor update 03/10