It's a mystery - Dassault SMB2 Super Mystère 1/72nd

Wez

After much internal debate I've decided to go with building a classic French jet that was used by the Armée de l'Air (AdlA), from the fifties through to the seventies.  The sixties coincided with the French yé-yé musical movement which I'm a big fan of so each instalment of this thread will include some music from that era...

For the kit I'm using the excellent Special Hobby kit in its initial Azur/FRROM boxing, the only difference between the early and late version of this kit is the decals, early = NMF, late = camouflage although it should be noted that NMF jets were still present very late into the aircraft's service.

Here's the kit:

Kit

Here's the main reference (although I have got some other magazine articles), the EM37 book is excellent covering the career of the type in French, Israeli and Honduran service, there are lots of photos, a technical section, unit histories, aircraft histories and where possible, a photo of every aircraft built with only a few exceptions.  The text is French but a good on line translator will help.  The book is quite expensive and the ordering process isn't simple but if you really want a comprehensive one-stop shop on the type (which I did), then this is the book for you.

Reference & Decals

I've also got some Berna Decal and Modeldecal sheets on the type but the truth of the matter is, I haven't decided on the unit markings yet.  The kit decals are quite good but I might use them with some of the aftermarket ones to mix things up a bit.

• Like 13

2 hours ago, Wez said:

The sixties coincided with the French yé-yé musical movement which I'm a big fan of so each instalment of this thread will include some music from that era...

I'm up for that!

• Haha 1

On 13/07/2021 at 09:06, RidgeRunner said:

I'm up for that!

Good because today you're being treated to the rather wonderful Françoise Hardy...

On 13/07/2021 at 17:28, VG 33 said:

Quite a nice choice Wez as I have already built four of them. 😻

Patrick

I'll be very pleased if I can turn out anything half as good as yours Patrick.

19 hours ago, modelling minion said:

Cracking choice Wez, the SMB2 is my favourite French jet behind the Mirage III/V family.

Yes, I like it because it seems rather thuggish compared to the Mirage family but you can follow the progression from Ouragan to Mirage via the Mystère

19 hours ago, Terry1954 said:

Nice choice Wez. I do love a Super Mystere.

Will follow if i may.

Terry

Please do Terry, I hope I can live up to expectations

4 hours ago, Marlin said:

WOW :analintruder:

An SMB.2 how great isn't that.

I really hope that Special Hobby will scale this up to 1/48 soon.

/Bosse :popcorn: :beer:

Err, I think so...   ...thanks for the kind comments everyone

• Like 2

On 7/13/2021 at 12:28 AM, Wez said:

The sixties coincided with the French yé-yé musical movement which I'm a big fan of so each instalment of this thread will include some music from that era...

1 hour ago, Wez said:

Good because today you're being treated to the rather wonderful Françoise Hardy...

On 7/13/2021 at 11:28 AM, VG 33 said:

I wasn't familiar with the styles name (yé yé) but am familiar with the songs even though they pre date me by a few years. Many Thanks for posting and keep the good tunes flowing. It will get my mojo going for when I can get around to my builds. 

Dennis

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Salut mes amis!

Everyone else has made a start so I thought I'd better pull my finger out, join the company and say "Et Moi" just like Jacques Dutronc!

I've cut several parts from the sprue, cleaned them up, masked them and given them a squirt of paint from some rattle cans, from the top:

The exhaust components

The intake components

The cockpit components

The fuselage interior

Super Mystère

Azur/Frrom recommend adding the rear fuselage at this stage which having read the Wingmasters review of this kit and noting the problems they had by joining the two components together and then adding them to the fuselage later, I think that the manufacturer's approach is correct.  As Wingmasters said of their approach "ceci n'est PAS une bonne idée...".  The reason the rear section is separate parts is because Special Hobby (who moulded the kit), released a Sa'ar which has an extended exhaust.

If you look, you'll see the main wheel wells have been added, the nosewheel bay has been added to the underside of the lower intake trunk.  It's worth cleaning up the mould seams on the mainwheel bay in order to stop them pushing against their ami on the other side.

I'll be tackling a make or break phase, the slab tailplane, once I've got the cockpit painted and the fuselage together, fortunately @RidgeRunner has already blazed a trail during his Honduran Sa'ar build so I've got some inspiration to look to. 

• Like 6

• 1 month later...

I'm sorry Wez 

But I'm afraid as co-host it's my duty to point out that your build has slipped to Page 5 of the builds.

To show no favouritism I'm afraid you too are therefore subject to some intensive coaching from myself :fight:.

So "Let's be 'aving you"

cheers Pat 

• Haha 4

Suitably rebuked by Pat @JOCKNEY (which idiot gave him all of that power?  Oh yes, that was me wasn't it :banghead:), I thought I'd share some pre jolly hol's progress... but first, here's the compulsory yé-yé track courtesy of Jacqueline Taïeb, the song title means "The heart at the fingertips".

Anyway, here's the engine intake and exhaust washed with black to highlight the detail...

IMG_20210726_133917

...here's the basic cockpit without the sidewalls, I painted the dials, the decals didn't work out well for me...

IMG_20210810_112046

...this is the cockpit with the sidewalls, rudder pedals and stick added...

IMG_20210824_192409

...the basic cockpit colour is black with added black, I used Tamiya Tyre Black for the basic cockpit and Humbrol matt black 33/Revell semi-gloss black to provide some contrast. highlights in silver, HB graphite, red and yellow as required.  The cockpit isn't too worn as I'll be depicting the aircraft early in its career.

Finally, the wings being glued together...

IMG_20210824_194823

I've also done some work on the small fuel tanks, thinning down the fins but the photos didn't come out too well, I'd also glued the intake and exhausts together, glued the whole lot and the cockpit into the fuselage (but forgot to take some photos :banghead:).

I've glued the fuselage halves together and left them clamped together awaiting my return from holiday.

Hopefully, this little update will keep JOCKNEY off of my back for a while?

• Like 9

Now I know I'm going to get a lot of stick for this but whilst tearing my eyes of Ms Taïeb, I couldn't help but notice that every car seems to be a Fiat, so assume it was filmed in Italy rather than France.

Anyway get to see you survived an extended period with your family on holiday Wez !

Cheers Pat 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JOCKNEY said:

Now I know I'm going to get a lot of stick for this but whilst tearing my eyes of Ms Taïeb, I couldn't help but notice that every car seems to be a Fiat, so assume it was filmed in Italy rather than France.

Anyway get to see you survived an extended period with your family on holiday Wez !

Cheers Pat 

Pat,

It's just me and the Wonderful Mrs Wez on this trip (even though we met up with the Wezlette (offspring No.2), on one of our stops), which always makes everything very agreeable!

We're still away for a bit so there won't be an update from me for a few days.

45 minutes ago, modelling minion said:

Very nice work so far Wez, these are great looking aircraft and like quite a few others I am eagerly awaiting the 1/48 version of this.

I agree, I'll get a 1/48th one when it comes out but just the one.

• Like 2