1/24 Airfix RCAF Mustang IV, 99% there

RZP

I'm nearly at the end of this build after more than four years. It's on its feet and all the nav lights and landing gear doors are attached. I still need to add the antenna wire and the pulley block that guides it through the bubble canopy...well that and some paint touch-ups here and there. If anyone cares to see in-progress photos the link is at the end.

The weathering was done with water-soluble graphite pencils that I found in an art supply store in town. The beauty of it is that it can be wiped off with a damp cloth if you are not happy with the results. With a sharp point you can wet it and follow the panel lines. It will lay down a fine line of sludge which you can then wipe in the direction of the airflow. It can also outline access hatches and panels. The thing to remember, which I learned the hard way, was that it darkens considerably when hit with a clear coat. 

The exhaust stains were another learning experience. I had never applied exhaust stains with an airbrush before, and the first attempt was with extremely thinned black paint and it was far too dark, and black. I managed to remove it all without too much trauma. The second attempt was with my own mix of dark grey and red-brown thinned to almost water. I learned that the perfect amount of stain was about two or three passes BEFORE you think it looks good. 🙂 Oddly enough in some light it looks thin and grey, in other lighting it looks very dark. I'm not touching it again!

Sorry about the weird backgrounds, I was experimenting with lighting and background colours with my DSLR camera. Hopefully I'll do better when it's done. 

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Edited by RZP
  • Like 19

• RZP changed the title to 1/24 Airfix RCAF Mustang IV, 99% there
16 hours ago, Dr. Quack said:

What a magnificent outcome! You've clearly done a huge amount of work detailing the old Airfix kit. Lovely finish and a great scheme.

Q

Thank you, that's very kind. It was a lot of work but I learned a lot and got over my fear of scratch-building and modifying parts.

18 hours ago, SafetyDad said:

Beautiful! You nailed the exhaust stains and the weathering.

And Canadian markings always look good...

:like:

SD 

Wow, thank you! Spraying the exhaust staining made me nervous, especially after the initial disaster. I learned that subtle is better.

22 hours ago, (ex)Sgtrafman said:

Very, very nice. Well done buddy.

Iain

Thanks very much! I've already started another one...

Richard

Edited by RZP

11 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

Looks absolutely magnificent,  great job. I was wondering where this one went. Good to see  in it's full splendor and interesting tip re the watercolour graphite pencils too. Thank

Chris 

Thanks Chris! I really appreciate you looking in! Life kinda got in the way for a while. My little obsession with RCAF Mustangs gave me the opportunity to be part of the team that researched and designed the markings for its bigger sister:

spacer.png

spacer.png

Richard

• Like 5

3 hours ago, RZP said:

Thanks Chris! I really appreciate you looking in! Life kinda got in the way for a while. My little obsession with RCAF Mustangs gave me the opportunity to be part of the team that researched and designed the markings for its bigger sister:

Hi Richard, it really is a wonderful model , you should be very proud of that one. 

Oh wow what an exciting opportunity and what an honour.   Congratulations on a job well done looking at the photos. 

Chris

• Thanks 1