Safely Aboard: Airfix Buccaneer S. Mk 2C

Well that just looks great. I like the Buccaneer in that scheme. Really impressive. If you'd told us it was 1/48, I'd have believed it. 

Looking forward to that 'Phantom' you heard tell of. 

Edited by noelh
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, 72modeler said:

Beautiful, just beautiful, and the scheme really accentuates the contours of the Beast! I have saved this and your WIP as a modeling guide. Well done! 👍Mike

Thanks, Mike!!

1 hour ago, Mick Drover said:

Well done David.

Love it. Great curves and what a finish. The splash of colour with the intake plugs is a nice touch too.

Cheers,

Mick

As Craig Ferguson would say, "I Know!!"

• Haha 1

The Airfix Buccaneer captures the lines of the aircraft very well and you have made a stunning model from it - beautiful paintwork and accurate boundaries between the EDSG  white camouflage - a Really smart scheme

CJP

• Like 1

That is fabulous. The very best era of colour scheme as well. I've been building 800NAS jets for while and have 3 Buccs done now but you have made me look at 801. A Bucc and Sea Harrier in that scheme would look so good together. I finished my Airfix Bucc with kit decals - a rarity for me but they were brill. Couldn't help but attach a pic or two (the grey / white one is the old Frog kit with resin nose and tailplane).

You're gonna hate me for this, but early S.2s didn't have that landing light on the nosewheel leg - get out the knife!

IMG_3992

Models July 2018 064

• Like 7

8 hours ago, CJP said:

The Airfix Buccaneer captures the lines of the aircraft very well and you have made a stunning model from it - beautiful paintwork and accurate boundaries between the EDSG  white camouflage - a Really smart scheme

CJP

Locating those boundaries actually took a lot of time and it was more difficult than you might think.

• Like 1

Just now, Head in the clouds. said:

She is a beauty in a striking scheme and who does not love a Buccaneer. You are right, Airfix have done themselves proud with this one.

Yeah, it's a really good kit. I heard some grumbling about the Phantom that came immediately before. I haven't cut it off the sprues yet, so i can only go on reports from others who have built it. This model went together easily, though i did scour Britmodeller before i started to learn about exactly what to expect going in.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Pete in a shed said:

Beautiful Buccaneer, one of the best schemes going for it. (second only to grey green wrap of course 😉)

Pete

i  *have* considered doing an S Mk. 2B, but there are other subjects in the queue ahead of it waiting to be done...

2 hours ago, junglierating said:

Cor...the start of this reads like a set of NATO sequence of orders😁

Anyway BZ on the model and the choice of the premier fixed wing squadron 801NAS none of that 800 nonsense 😁

Yeah, that format started with "Navy Bird" Gillman, who is an Elder Statesman as far as 72 scale Naval Aviation subject matter is concerned.

On the other hand, i have yet to see him invoke Bette Davis in a "Work in Progress" thread.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, CT Modeller said:

You're gonna hate me for this, but early S.2s didn't have that landing light on the nosewheel leg - get out the knife!

IMG_3992

Models July 2018 064

Yeah, you're about the third person to tell me about the landing light. I only noticed the problem after the strut had been mounted in place- with liquid cement. Only a fool would cut off the landing light and attempt to repair the damage this late in the game. But i won't make that mistake a second time.

Your Buccaneers look quite nice BTW.

Ahhh,a Bucc as one remembers them back in the Halcyon days of British naval aviation,a deck park resplendent in

Extra Dark Sea Grey and White adorning the Buccaneers and Sea Vixens with their colourful unit emblems.

Delightful Sir,most delightful.

One must go and search out the other gentleman named above.

7 hours ago, Spitfire31 said:

Superb Buccaneer! And I'm deeply envious of that silky smooth finish…

Kind regards,

Joachim

a lot of the silky smooth surface finish just has do with fastidious sanding prior to priming, after priming, after the colour coats and before the gloss coat. Lacquers are really good for that sort of thing, but they require different care and feeding than enamels do.

• Like 1