HMS Kimberley 1941 - Flyhawk 1/700

Hi, just a bit of progress again today, Foredeck assembled and installed along with funnel and searchlight platform. I first made the mistake of assembling the searchlight platform from 1942, with the 20mm Oerlikons before realizing that these were not present in May 1941. Wearing an optivisor in this heat is not very comfortable so progress will be a little slower. I also used the decals for the double red funnel stripe that was worn by Kimberley, Kingston and Kandahar at this time instead of the usual red and black stripe.

spacer.png

spacer.png

As you will be able to notice there are quite a few touch ups to do, but I prefer to do as many at one time as I can.

Mick

• Like 10

Hi, no update tonight, too hot to wear my Optivisor. On a better note I have just had an e-mail to say my 1/700 Flyhawk HMS Hood, deck and paint mask has been dispatched today 😃

• Like 1

Hi, finally got around to doing a little work. Pom Pom platform fitted and guns added, Main guns added, I had to drill out the mounting holes as the Micro master guns have a longer mounting spigot. Fitted the fore torpedo tubes. Hit a temporary snag with the aft torpedo tubes as I can't find my stash of plastic card anywhere, my compass cutter will not go small enough and my hole punch has gone walkabout. I have a Dspaie circle cutter which will easily do them, so will give that a try.

spacer.png

spacer.png

I had a great time building the Pom Poms, which is a bit of a surprise as I normally struggle with P.E.

Mick

• Like 8

Hi, had an interesting few days, never thought I would have so much trouble replicating the base for the torpedo tubes

spacer.png

The two circular parts in the above pic. Styrene sheet was too thick, compass cutter would not go small enough, tried paper and that was a disaster. In the end I used a disposable pub menu and the Dspaie circle cutter, reinforced it with ca and made quite a good guess at the centre to drill the mounting hole. All the plastic parts that I can put on at the moment are now on.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Now it's time for the brass work and no doubt much cursing. I am also going to attempt to make the mast from brass which I have not been very successful in the past, so if anyone has any hints or tips they would be gratefully received.

spacer.png

I have problems with both gluing and lining the parts up.

Mick

• Like 9

She's looking really grand there Mick, lovely work. 

Have you tried soldering the masts?

I'd never managed to get a good mast with glue, just started dabbling with an iron and seems to be a stronger and easier join. I use Blu tac to hold everything in place on a couple of lollypop sticks and keep moving and checking till it looks good.

Geoff

• Like 1