HMS Kimberley 1941 - Flyhawk 1/700

Hi, starting a new ship, Trying to make HMS Kimberley from Flyhawks HMS Jupiter. The most significant difference that I can see is Kimberley retained both stes of torpedo tubes. I have filled the square opening for the 4" AA gun and have made a start with the amazing Sovereign hobbies Colourcoats Narn 23 dark deck grey and masked up ready for the 507c. I will be using the illustration from "The Kelly's" book by Christopher Langtree. I intend to try to make this one my best effort yet, time will tell.

spacer.png

More to come

Mick

• Like 9

Hi, I have been spraying the 507c and the black boot stripe and the anti fouling red, then I started to look at the deck. Could anyone help as the only reference I have found to the deck colours are from Shar2's build of Kimberley in 1940 colours, which shows a good portion of the deck is covered on corticene, am I right in assuming this would still be down in May 1941, any advice or help would be very gratefully received.

Mick

CAFO200 dated February 1940 ordered that as J & K class destroyers came in that their existing Corticene and rubber matting be replaced by Semtex SX135, and that

4.7" gun platforms of J & K class destroyers were to be laid with a product called Wondegrip over an underlay. It also specified that walkways over machinery spaces be widened to 3' 6" if interested.

Semtex SX135 was "Admiralty Grey" as of 9th August 1940 at least. There were equivalent products from Aranbee and Supertex which may have been brown or either blue or green (I forget which) and I don't know which was which colour.

• Like 2

Great work! I've just ordered Flyhawk Kelly, still waiting for it to come.

Speaking about the corticene, robgizlu made decks of his 1940 HMS Griffin in semtex (grey) and maingun platforms in corticene (brickred). Seems that in 1940 corticene was replaced with semtex and other materials.

Edited by GrzeM
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies said:

CAFO200 dated February 1940 ordered that as J & K class destroyers came in that their existing Corticene and rubber matting be replaced by Semtex SX135, and that

4.7" gun platforms of J & K class destroyers were to be laid with a product called Wondegrip over an underlay. It also specified that walkways over machinery spaces be widened to 3' 6" if interested.

Semtex SX135 was "Admiralty Grey" as of 9th August 1940 at least. There were equivalent products from Aranbee and Supertex which may have been brown or either blue or green (I forget which) and I don't know which was which colour.

Great news! Were similar orders for G and H flotillas issued? I'm building the Glowworm in her April 1940 outfit. I know robgizlu HMS Griffin build.

3 minutes ago, GrzeM said:

Great news! Were similar orders for G and H flotillas issued? I'm building the Glowworm in her April 1940 outfit. I know robgizlu HMS Griffin build.

I don't believe such an order was issued for G and H flotillas but I would think a similar practise was put into effect by some other correspondence within a close timeframe.

3 minutes ago, Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies said:

I don't believe such an order was issued for G and H flotillas but I would think a similar practise was put into effect by some other correspondence within a close timeframe.

Thanks. Speaking about the RN reality - would such order/correspondence have visible effect on the ship in early days of April 1940, before Glowworm was sunk?

33 minutes ago, Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies said:

Thanks Jamie, to the rescue again. I think i will go with the grey colour. Glad you piped up while I was cooking a BBQ as I was going to do the corticene when I came back.

Thanks 

Mick

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, GrzeM said:

Thanks. Speaking about the RN reality - would such order/correspondence have visible effect on the ship in early days of April 1940, before Glowworm was sunk?

There are probably two answers; generally it could take many months to work through all the ships. Specifically though, if you Google the movements for HMS Glowworm you'll find she had a collision in February 1940 and went to a shipyard for repair. It's quite likely the Corticene was stripped out during that month in a dockyard.

https://www.naval-history.net/xGM-Chrono-10DD-25G-HMS_Glowworm.htm

• Thanks 1

Hi, work is getting in the way of model time. Thanks to Colourcoats drying so quick, with no fear of lifting, I unmasked the deck and re masked for the Semtex, which I sprayed with a slightly darkened emergency grey. In my haste I forgot to mask the 507c, so had to re mask for that and then re sprayed it. Masking now removed, a few small touch ups will be needed. Next I will start masking the hull for the 507c, Home Fleet Grey and black camo.

spacer.png

Mick

• Like 9

On 7/15/2021 at 4:34 AM, smyfe said:

Hi, work is getting in the way of model time.

Gidday Mick, You too? As Ned Kelly used to say, "Such is life!" And like David above, I think that paint job looks very good. Regards, Jeff.

• Like 1

Hi, camo on, so glad the upper works are plain 507c 🤪. Hopefully going to start some building now, first time using lower hull as I intend to embed this one in a foam sea base.  The error on the lower part of the boot strip will disappear in the sea. I have been furloughed for a couple of days next week, so hopefully we will see some progress.spacer.png

Hope you all have a good weekend and don't get burnt, forecast 28 degrees here.

Mick

• Like 9

On 14/07/2021 at 21:34, smyfe said:

spacer.png

Mick

That is super-impressive masking.  I take my hat off to you sir.  Only wish I could get masking to work like that - I end up with bleed through no matter how I do it even on something as simple as the boot topping which is why by the time I get to the point that you are at with this I have resorted to a hairy stick.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chewbacca said:

That is super-impressive masking.  I take my hat off to you sir.  Only wish I could get masking to work like that - I end up with bleed through no matter how I do it even on something as simple as the boot topping which is why by the time I get to the point that you are at with this I have resorted to a hairy stick.

Hi, I can accept no praise for the masking of the upper works as I used the Flyhawk mask set, which I always use if I can get my hands on them. They are simple to use and I just go over them with tips of my tweezers once down. I did have to modify this set to paint the Semtex but it wasn't too much trouble.

Mick

• Like 1

Hi, just a bit of progress today, decks are on and the bridge has been put together. Thank heaven for Optivisors. Progress may be a little slower than I had hoped due to sweat running into my eyes and dripping on my work, I'm a big bloke that doesn't cope to well in this heat 😓

spacer.png

spacer.png

I may try to do some more after it cools down later. On a plus note, my son has been camping and when we went to put the gear away in the garage (away from the house), I found a whole box of 1/700 ships I had forgotten about, Trumpeter 1943 Richelieu with deck and etch came back with me as I cannot ever remember buying it.

Mick

• Like 6
  • Haha 2