Coastal Command Liberators

72modeler

Was this one of the decal options in the Hasegawa 1:72 B-24J 'Coastal Command' boxing?

I built it for a different plane but haven't kept any of the details.

Mark

Edited by Mark Harmsworth
Add that I built a different plane

• 1 month later...
On 7/17/2021 at 4:38 AM, Juan R-S said:

The pics in the video suggest the markings "KK-Z" are in red. Also it appears the B24 did not have an upper turret. I guess the decal sheet has some mistakes.

Why? Because they are "grey" on the photos as the red in the roundel? What if they were a grey color? What would they then look like on the photo? Grey?

RAF official documents as this page from AIR 15/285 concerning aircraft camouflage and markings (30 April 1942), states that General Reconnaissance aircraft painted white were to have Light Slate Grey code letters. From color photographs we do know that this was not the case. Dark grey, more like black is seen on photos. Medium grey also. But never red.

Why the color red is often believed to be the correct color, I don't know. Most probably it is because artists used red when painted box art for model kits back in the 50s and 60s. Before the files like AIR 15/285 became public. And it looks good to!

1942.04.30-AIR-15-285-New-roundeks-and-c

Early-Airfix-Short-Sunderland-box-art.jp

Bengt