Revell Shelby Hertz Two Car curbside build.

TonyW

More steady progress going on here today.

The black car got a few coats of auto paint clear added. It's gone on with a fair bit of the dreaded orange peel. I'll let it dry overnight and then flat it back and re-coat it. If the planets are in alignment, a beautiful full gloss will result. A more likely scenario will be me breaking out the micro polish pads and getting a gloss the hard way. Whatever happens, it's moving in the right direction.

20211020-142814.jpg

The white car got masked for new stripes, and a couple of coats of Tamiya gold shot on.

20211020-095617.jpg

Pow!

20211020-100042.jpg

I'll let the paint on those two harden before anything else gets done on the bodies.

• Like 9

If it's any consolation, the finish on that black looks better than what I got out of the can for mine, so hopefully you won't have as much polishing to do.

Good luck getting these done for the weekend, they're coming along nicely.

• Thanks 1

The black car got a full on flat off this morning using 1000 grit paper followed by a couple of stages of micro polishing. I ended up with a nice, flat, soft sheen. Rather than try polishing it all the way to a gloss, I hit it with a couple of wet coats of clear. They went on OK, but a bit of orange peel managed to appear after the paint flashed off. Curses. I'm leaving the car to harden in the warm overnight, and will decide what to do with it in the morning. It's usable as is, but I would like it a bit better if possible.

Here's how it looks at the moment, a bit dark and forbidding against the two white cars. It really does need its stripes and window trims adding to bring it to life. It should get them tomorrow.

20211021-152848.jpg

• Like 7

And so it came to pass, the black car got it's stripes taped off and sprayed first thing this morning.

A couple of hours with a fan heater aimed at it got it dry enough for the side stripes to be added. 

20211022-123251.jpg

Sat with it's mates, things are starting to come together. Which is nice. Nothings fixed yet, the gazing hasn't been fitted yet although I'm hoping to get that done some time today.

20211022-123915.jpg

20211022-124321.jpg

A pressing need for door handles see's me breaking out the moulding supplies, hoping they are still usable. It also appears I've managed to loose a rear light cluster so I'll add that to the moulding list. A solitary slot mag that I've had for ages got added to the mould block I've made up to help use up a bit of resin. Mixing really small amounts doesn't always work out as measuring proportions gets a bit more critical, too much hardener and it goes off really fast for instance. There needs to be enough for the two resins to be able to react.

Here's the rather basic mould before the silicone rubber went in. The rubber set in about an hour and is ready to go.

20211022-110902.jpg

And as things are at the moment, filled with resin.

20211022-123134.jpg

The pipette gets a bit of mixed resin drawn in and then squirted in at one end of the door handle, there's enough in there when the resin appears at the other end.

The same method was used for the wheel. The light clusters had resin dripped into them, then got levelled off with a straight edge. I did three as that's what was sat here. Three times the chances of getting a good finished part!

Assuming things are OK once the first lot are popped out, I'll be repeating the process a few times to give me enough parts to at least sort out the door handles for these builds.

• Like 8

Still chipping away, and probably still will be, five minutes to midnight tomorrow...

New screens fitted to the black car and the new kid. Both better than the kit ones, but still not what I'm after. I'm getting there, but the type of screens I think are possible are still eluding me. It's not for want of trying!

20211023-152025.jpg

Dash boards for all three outstanding cars are nearly done and a fair bit of detailing has taken place on all the builds. The black car looks like it will be first finished as there's not too much left to add on that one.

As a moral booster/ kick up the jacksie, I set up the Mustang equivalent of the missing flyer formation... or two Mustangs in this case.

20211023-154416.jpg

• Like 8

Well, it was probably foolish of me to tempt fate by asking what could possibly go wrong.

What went wrong is a bit of a downer. I closed the car up last night, super gluing the interior tub to the body at the rear of the parcel shelf and along the firewall/body join. The glue has gassed off and stained the glazing while drying overnight. I could get most of it off using cotton buds poked through the side window openings but the bit that counts, right at the base of the windscreen remains just out of reach. Bugger. It shows rather badly although a bit of selective picture taking hides most of it.

20211024-122930.jpg

If I angle the car just so and use the reflections as camouflage it will pass. On that basis, I'm calling this one done as there's nothing left to add to it now the car has its door handles, key holes and hood pins. At least the moulding of the handles went smoothly. I lost another couple of hood pins during the fitting of those. That's acceptable collateral damage given the size of the things and the ancient eyes trying to fit them.

Reading back over the build thread, I see that I nearly had the thing done months ago, and the paintjob looked better then than it does today. I suspect this one will get a refurb at some point, it deserves it. That probably sounds a bit churlish, but I know I can do better and the GB deserved it.

A couple more shots for here, Gallery ones in a bit, I'm still trying to get the companion white car finished.

20211024-121750.jpg

20211024-121943.jpg

• Like 5

A bit of a push this afternoon see's the white car finished and now happily sitting alongside the black one outside my local 1960's Hertz rental outlet. I'll take the black one.

20211024-165331.jpg

Gallery shots of the pair are on the way.

• Like 6

:phew: Phew, that was a close one! Looking good from where I'm sitting, but I'm guessing that I shouldn't get too close to the black one though? Shame about the windscreen, but I'm sure you'll get around to fixing it (eventually). The white one has an "Indy Pace Car" look about it, which I quite like.

Well done on both.

Mike

• Thanks 1