Revell Shelby Hertz Two Car curbside build.

TonyW

That bright yellow surface must really help when the piece you are cutting goes "ping" off the cutting mat, which previously would never have been found for at least a couple of months. It all looks jolly tidy. Why don't you throw everything in a heap now and get it over with? (I'm just jealous)

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Mike Dean said:

. Why don't you throw everything in a heap now and get it over with? (I'm just jealous)

That does seem to be how it usually ends up Mike. There's bound to be a snag or two with the new layout that will need another sort out further down the line. I'll probably find I need a bit more shelf space, and right above the bench is the perfect spot for it.

• 1 month later...

Time to catch up a bit with these two builds.

The white car got its engine bay and wheel wells painted black as I think I'll do this one with an open hood. The black car will be closed up.

20210831-154428.jpg

Work started again on the interior tubs as well. Rivets were added to both sets of doors to provide passable door lock buttons. 

20210831-160244.jpg

One door card got it's chrome trims started using 0.4mm wire superglued over the existing moulded detail. I've not done this before, but it seems to work OK. It's fairly easy to use the existing trim as a guide for the wire. Gluing short lengths at a time kept things manageable. The existing trim disappears under the wire. The winder panel might work better if I flatten the existing trim and glue the wire over that.

If I'm up for doing this to all my builds is another matter! There's the two swoopy trims that I've just done plus one needed around the edge of the armrests and another around the winder and lock panel. Those will need finer wire. About an hour per door I guess. Checking out the tub fitted to the car body see's the door panels fairly visible with the trims added. Without the trims the eye isn't drawn into the interior so much. Either option works. I'll finish the tub I've started and then compare.

20210831-165517.jpg

• Like 9

Good work going on there, although you did panic me for a moment talking about silver trim around the window winders! Just checked and every photo I saw didn't have a chrome trim around that panel so hopefulyl that's one bit of work saved for you.

10 minutes ago, Spiny said:

Good work going on there, although you did panic me for a moment talking about silver trim around the window winders! Just checked and every photo I saw didn't have a chrome trim around that panel so hopefulyl that's one bit of work saved for you.

That was close! Assumption is the Mother of all FU's and my assumption here is a classic example. Thanks for the nod.

Looking at Internet pictures just now, as I should have done before I started, see's the wire I used a bit thick. I'll have another go, using thinner wire tomorrow.

15 hours ago, TonyW said:

That was close! Assumption is the Mother of all FU's and my assumption here is a classic example. Thanks for the nod.

Looking at Internet pictures just now, as I should have done before I started, see's the wire I used a bit thick. I'll have another go, using thinner wire tomorrow.

The wire looks good, but if I can be "that guy" for a minute and offer some constructive criticism, it's only the inner bead that is metal trim.  The outer bead is just a raised part of the vinyl, and it's only that that continues onto the kick panel.   The metal trim is only on the door.so less work to do :) .   Photo for reference:

https://www.wallpaperup.com/uploads/wallpapers/2013/05/31/94469/49807843549cf9059abb2f1884749895.jpg

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Six97s said:

The wire looks good, but if I can be "that guy" for a minute and offer some constructive criticism, it's only the inner bead that is metal trim.  The outer bead is just a raised part of the vinyl, and it's only that that continues onto the kick panel.   The metal trim is only on the door.so less work to do :) .   Photo for reference:

https://www.wallpaperup.com/uploads/wallpapers/2013/05/31/94469/49807843549cf9059abb2f1884749895.jpg

Thanks for saving me yet more unnecessary effort! I'll be re-doing the doors later. That picture is a stunner.

I think I'll have to thin out the existing trim line a bit for thinner wire to work. I'll treat the tub I'm working on as a test mule and see how I get on.

A big part of me says why bother, it will hardly be seen on a closed car, but it's good practice and will come in handy on a convertible at some point, where the detail would be out on show more.

• Like 1

Nothing more done about the door trims yet, although some additional interior work has taken place.

I recently ordered a bag of tiny washers. They were advertised as being for spectacle screws. I thought they would be very small indeed. Not so, they are quite a size for the advertised use. It looked like the £4.00 they cost from China was going to be wasted. The bag held a thousand washers as well!

I've used a few pairs on my Mustang builds though. They are not a million miles out for use as rear seat side lights ,as seen in this advert picture.

20210831-154844.jpg

Here's how the washers look with a dot of white paint added...

20210903-135910.jpg

Close enough for me.

Photoetch hood pins and windscreen wipers got ordered as well. The bought ones have replaced my home brew efforts and things look better for it.

20210903-131058.jpg

20210905-164449.jpg

Building the things up was hard work. A few pins flew off, never to be seen again, and the base plates needed drilling out to take the smallest pins I have here, but I think I have the method cracked now.

They do look good.

No pin wires on the early cars, so that's one extra job not needed on this pair of builds.

• Like 8

• 5 weeks later...

The Hertz twins haven't been forgotten, they are at the back of the line though.

Plan A is to crack on with my Boss 302, '67 Shelby and blue '65 first as they look to be closest to completion. 

No plan survives first contact with the enemy though, so expect things to change at short notice. 

• 2 weeks later...

Well, the plan seems to be working. There's a first.

The other three builds are all sitting in the Gallery now, time to get back on the Hertz twins. Work has restarted already.

20211018-171014.jpg

Both cars have suffered a bit from the constant handling they have received while I've battled the windscreen replacement thing. Tamiya paints are a bit on the soft side, as I've now found out the hard way. My nice bright gloss finishes have dulled quite a bit. I've given the white car a coat of Tamiya clear pearl and the gloss is back in spades. The gold stripes didn't like the clear and will need a repaint tomorrow. 

The black car could do with a new clear coat but I've already tried to rescue the finish by polishing and waxing what's there. It's kind of worked and I will have to run with it. The wax puts me off trying to add more paint, there's no time left for any major blunders.

There's another(!) Hertz car in shot, an Ebay impulse BIN. A hospice had it up for £20 including postage, and I though that it might come in handy if either of the current two builds get FUBARed.

Now I've started on the B+W pair again, I think I'm going to be OK. If that's the case, I'll throw caution to the wind and build this latest addition as a white car with blue stripes, lowered and running Halibrands.  If it looks like I can get it done in time, I'll give it a thread of its own around Wednesday or Thursday.

• Like 5

48 minutes ago, Mike Dean said:

What a load of old Pony........😉

Six builds?!:surprised: That's going to make one impressive group shot.

My first kits would be finished on the day I got them Mike, sometimes the same morning. I've slowed down over the years. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, TonyW said:

My first kits would be finished on the day I got them Mike, sometimes the same morning. I've slowed down over the years. 

My post was a bit of an awkward play on words for seeing so many old Mustangs (ponies) in one picture, not a slur on your lack of progress. No offence intended.

9 minutes ago, Mike Dean said:

My post was a bit of an awkward play on words for seeing so many old Mustangs (ponies) in one picture, not a slur on your lack of progress. No offence intended.

And none taken Mike, my reply was equally tongue in cheek. My eight year old self would have been horrified at my lack of progress. My 65 year old self can't believe I'm in with a chance of 6!

Funnily enough, I've still got a few Mustangs sat here with no chance at all of them being done for the GB as intended. I'm also still searching for the things! 

• Haha 1

I think we may have to petition for you to be disqualified due to multiple entries, I think it's the only way the rest of us stand a chance 🤣

James

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, 81-er said:

I think we may have to petition for you to be disqualified due to multiple entries, I think it's the only way the rest of us stand a chance 🤣

James

I've already tied one arm behind my back and started hopping everywhere. It's slowed me down a bit...

It's odd how things turn out. Not that long ago I was doubting if I would have anything to put in the Gallery, now I'm in with a chance of half a dozen! How that happened is anyones guess. Best not to push my luck though, I'm a long way from getting this last lot done.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Trying hard to ignore the end of the week approaching, I've been busy with the builds.

I'm not happy with the paintwork on either Hertz build so I did what anyone staring a deadline in the face would do, I repainted them.

I thought if I blew it, I could put my feet up now and enjoy the rest of the GB models coming along. I think I've got away with it, so far. All three car bodies got a scrub up, a T Cut and then a flatting off with 2000 grit paper. Tamiya white primer for the white Hertz and the potential third build. Full size car black primer for the black Hertz car. The black primer was added very carefully indeed. Any reaction and it would be a case of All Bets are Off for the build. So far, so good, no visible reaction at close of play an hour or so ago.

It wasn't ideal spraying weather today being unseasonably warm and somewhat humid here. I gave the paints and the car bodies a bit of a warm up using a fan heater before getting on with the painting.

20211019-103803.jpg

Giving things a gentle cooking between coats worked fine. Leaving the fan on for a couple of hours to warm the primers right through saw me add a bit of topcoat to the white cars later in the day. I used Tamiya pearl clear over the white primer as I'm out of straight Tamiya clear. I have full on car stuff here but didn't want to take a chance mixing brands. The pearl has a really nice, soft finish that looks OK for the Hertz car and should look very smart for the new one as I intend to add metallic blue stripes to it, hopefully tomorrow.

20211019-162836.jpg

The white cars will get new stripes in the morning, the black one will be seeing a bit of autopaint clear.

Wheels and tires got a bit of attention as well today, along with some interior work on the new build. Two different style Halibrands are in the frame for the new build, I'm undecided which ones yet. Goodyear white lettering has been started for the Hertz white car.

Confused? You soon will be...

20211019-163125.jpg

• Like 8