Revell Shelby Hertz Two Car curbside build.

TonyW

EDIT. TITLE CHANGED TO REFLECT ANOTHER CAR BEING ADDED TO THE BUILD. Details at the bottom of the page.

Another entry from me.

It's another of those black Hertz rent-a-racers. It's going to be a curbside build to keep things simple. I have a later Boss 302 that I intend detailing a bit more for later. 

It's going to be going together alongside my other entry, also a Hertz kit, but built as a street car. Doing the two together will keep downtime to a minimum. In theory.

Here's progress so far. I started yesterday and a bit more got done today.

Out the box and cleanup commences. Front and rear valances fitted and seams sanded down. No filler needed anywhere.

20210711-123233.jpg

Tamiya grey primer, rubbed down and re-coated as a few tiny marks showed. Rubbed down again and ready for a bit of paint.

20210712-100433.jpg

Interior tub undercoated with Humbrol grey yesterday followed by a scrubbing with black oil paint this morning. I'll let that dry for a day or two before adding a satin topcoat.

20210712-110451.jpg

20210712-111342.jpg

Then I took a couple of brave pills and fired on some Tamiya Gloss Black.

20210712-111834.jpg

20210712-112200.jpg

It went on like glass. Nice paint. It's settled back a bit but this is it's first coat. A good flat off and another coat or two will happen over the next couple of days.

The gold Hertz stripes look really nice on the decal sheet. I'm a bit concerned about adding the gold decals over the hood scoop and around the windscreen vents though. Just in case they play up, I've tried a bit of Tamiya gold over a bit of black painted plastic card with thoughts of possibly painting the stripes on.

20210712-152159.jpg

I like the painted gold over the decals but those sill stripes look a bit daunting to copy!

Tony.

• Like 12

That paint looks very good, even better when you consider it's black. Like you I'm nervous of the devalling of that bonnet scoop, fingers cross the decal is fairly pliant but I expect a fair bit of decal softener is going to come into the equation here,

• Like 1

After a less than successful first attempt at adding the Hertz stripes I'm now back to bare black again.

The stripes were removed with masking tape and they came off easily enough. The whole car got flatted of yet again with 2000 w+d paper, used wet, and re painted with two coats of Tamiya gloss black. The paint has gone on well and although it has very slightly dulled as it dried, the gloss is still pretty good. I'll let it harden in the sun today and tomorrow see if I think a coat or two of clear is a good idea or not.

20210713-104711.jpg

• Like 9

Beautiful job Tony with the Tamiya gloss black, not an easy color to spray and not encounter foreign matter/ flaws.  Look's like you sprayed yours in a microchip foundry cleanroom!

Masked and painted gold strips should really pop.  One challenge might be managing the location of mask edges in the vent area in front of the front window to avoid overspray/ foggy edges .

Wish I could send all my gloss black spray work over to your workshop for you to do and send back to me!😁

• Thanks 1

I have two of these not built yet. The stripes decals don't look great to me. I think paint is the better choice.  I read somewhere to the stripes go under the scoop and the kit's decals won't. Black paint looks good.

• Thanks 1

Another attempt at striping the car ended in failure. The high gloss finish on the car grabbed the hood decals like crazy and they just did not want to co-operate. Floating the decals on worked right up until the decal hit bare plastic, then the trouble began.

Trying the sill stripes saw one go on without drama, the other cracked up at the back end of it. The chances of getting the 16 or so other stripe decals to work, even with a spare sheet, wasn't looking good. Out with the masking tape then, and an hour later I had my stripes.

20210714-152555.jpg

Tamiya Gold was used. It went on really well. The colour is different to the side stripes but as either one or the other is in light or shade it doesn't register. Everything looks right. Phew!

Despite my best efforts, using minimal paint in light coats and very carefully removing the tape, there is a slight raised edge here and there that catches the light sometimes. I'll have to live with that as trying to sand down a metallic finish is never going to improve things.

The car looks tough with ARE wheels on it, as above. It's going to get stockers on it though. They look far too bright in the picture below but nothing a bit of detailing won't sort.

20210715-084308.jpg

Thoughts of clear coating crossed my mind. A quick experiment with the bit of card I striped earlier showed a reaction in the gold to any clear. The gold balled up a bit and the black seemed to show through. I'm glad I didn't pile right in and shoot clear straight on the car.

The wheels and tires have seen attention. A first coat of black in the wheel recesses has gone on. Difficult work as the shine from the chrome makes seeing where the brush is going a bit problematic. I'm getting there though.

Goodyear Polyglas GT decals from Fireball Modelworks have sorted the tires out. The lettering is a bit big I think, but will pass. 

20210715-091044.jpg

For such a simple kit, it's putting up a bit of a fight.  but bit by bit I'm winning.

• Like 14

There seems to be a nice shiny reflection on the gold paint on the hood scoop, so that's turned out OK. Would the stripes have been painted on in real life or would they have been vinyl stick-ons? If so, they might have had a semi-gloss/satin look to them anyway.

I also think the stock wheels look so much better than the ARE ones.

All in all, it's looking really good. I'd be proud of that if it were mine!

• Thanks 1

That's turning out nicely, the fight was worth it. I'm going to disagree with Mike, I prefer the ARE's. The stocks look ,uch better for detail painting however.

James

• Thanks 1

I've had a go at the paintwork again. Tamiya paint is very good but I'm finding that you really have to be on the ball with it. A bit of overspray found its way onto the body when I added the stripes. I thought it would rub out without problems and it did, to a point. I lost a bit of the shine doing the necessary and that started to niggle.

I went for broke and masked off the gold stripes and shot another coat of black on the body. It worked and I'm happy again. The side scoops had to come off and they got resprayed as well. I also removed the first sill stripes and did them again.

20210715-192049.jpg

20210715-192327.jpg

I think if I went the micro mesh and polish route I could get it mirror smooth and ultra shiny but I could also rub through a raised bodyline as well. I'm stopping at this point, it's only a hire car after all.

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

The paintwork's looking good to me, but any iffy bits could definitely be excused as the results of quick repairs to any damage received from a less-than-careful rental

James

• Thanks 1

Front and rear axles and suspension got fixed to the chassis this morning and the wheels centred in the arches. It took quite a bit more work to do it rather than say it.

20210717-105206.jpg

There was a fair bit of twist to the chassis that resulted in one front wheel sitting off the ground. A bit of bending back the other way sorted that out but the wheels sat very high and not exactly centred when building straight out the box. To sort that out on a full build would be a bit involved, requiring relocating the axle at the spring mounts at the back and all kinds of hacking about up front. As this ones a curbside build, things were much easier. I ground down the rear springs and chassis mount points until things fitted. Up front got a whole lot of filing and cutting, including separating each wheel unit, before that lot lined up. It's untidy underneath but the model is going to sit on its base and it will never be seen.

The build has just doubled in size as well, with the addition of yet another Hertz car. The recent, and still current, £16 per kit Amazon deal means I have one more of these in the stash. I'll add it to the Hertz frontage as a white car build.

The second build started an hour ago with a bit of Tamiya primer on the bodyshell parts and some red oxide primer for the chassis and tub sides.

20210717-103356.jpg

• Like 8

• TonyW changed the title to Revell Shelby Hertz Two Car curbside build.

ANOTHER ONE?!:surprised:

You're going to need a bigger Hertz car park. Although, judging by the size of your Stratocruiser display base, that doesn't appear to be a problem!

The contrast of the white vs. black cars is going to look very interesting. Bring 'em on...........

• Haha 1

55 minutes ago, Six97s said:

I love that background, it really sets them off.   I think I prefer the gold on white...  I'm tempted to get one from Amazon at that price.  🤔

One?

29 minutes ago, Mike Dean said:

ANOTHER ONE?!:surprised:

You're going to need a bigger Hertz car park. Although, judging by the size of your Stratocruiser display base, that doesn't appear to be a problem!

The contrast of the white vs. black cars is going to look very interesting. Bring 'em on...........

I did get a bit carried away Mike. Not like me at all! A couple of Boss 302's accidentally fell in the shopping basket as well. They are for later in the GB.

'68 Dodge Chargers were also up at the same price. I'm going to need a Chrysler GB in the near future. 

The period in the USA from just after the war to '74 or so had so much car activity going on. We will never see the like again. 

• Like 1

My blue Mustang build has gone a bit Kandy Coloured Tangerine Flake Streamline Baby on me, with sixties Pop Art making an appearance. 

Meanwhile, back in corporate land, the Hertz hire company is open for business and ready to take your money...

The second build is well under way now. 

The bodyshell got sanded down and Tamiya white primer, followed by white gloss went on yesterday. The planets must have been in alignment or something, as the paint flowed out near perfectly.  It's probably my best spray can effort so far. Result!

This morning I taped out the stripes and added them with Tamiya gold. There was not the slightest thought of using the kit decals. One of the hood stripes needs re-doing, but that's no problem.

Things are just propped up in the pictures, but I needed to see how the pair will look together. 

20210718-091730.jpg

20210718-091717.jpg

This is turning into one hell of a Group Build!

Tony.

• Like 10

6 hours ago, stevehnz said:

Those look super Tony, they're me a bad dose of the "me wants" :unsure: :D

Steve 

These things can get a bit addictive Steve. I have three on the go at once and I'm already thinking I really should have a white with blue stripes Shelby car.

There's no shortage of other Mustang builder kits here at the moment though, so that idea is just being greedy.

Not a lot happening on the Hertz twins recently, but I've not been slacking.

My modelling shed gets a fair bit of use and I'm not exactly the worlds tidiest in there. Every now and then, it gets a re-vamp in the endless search to find the perfect building environment.

This time around I decided that the workbench I use the most was a bit dark, what with a shelf running side to side just above the work area. The back of the bench,  against the wall always seemed a bit gloomy somehow. It's worked OK for a year or two now, but it's time to have a change around.

Here's the old set up, full of early Airfix refurbs. Perfectly useable, but room for improvement.

20200820-074320.jpg

I've removed the shelf and painted the whole area lemon yellow. All the tools and supplies I use on a constant basis are now right in front of me and it all feels good.

I might need a welding helmet for modelling now, but it's lovely and bright to work there.

Loosing 5ft of shelf space was a bit of a loss, but a re-arrange of the rest of the shed somehow sorted that out without too much hassle.

Here's the new layout. No doubt things will get a bit of fine tuning, but that sort of thing goes on all the time here.

20210721-114307.jpg

20210721-114324.jpg

As can be seen, the Mustangs are at the front of the queue for attention and they will be getting a bit of that tomorrow.

Tony.

• Like 11