SMER 1/72 LeO 451 ** Finished **

This kit may now be the one that I've had for the longest time. It was bought in a batch of 15 kits which have now almost all been built. Many were built for the Heller GB but this one was left out as others were already building the same kit.

Now is the time to open the box and see what I've got..... This is unusual for me as I almost always open the boxes to see what is inside straight after I've bought them.

y4mx3QxtpX5X-UGq3mj5FDjWinOntWLFYtepHe6a

Based on my experience of the SMER kits I built for the Heller GB, the decals may explode when added to water.

y4mq2oo2vW0Fn7Q1fYF5Y6MQ9HAO9MW6_9ytX6RO

I don't fancy the chances  of the scheme with the long tricoloure stripes. They have no chance in holding together!

• Like 10

Give the decals a chance, I've built a few Smer kits recently and the decals worked fine.

The long tricoloure stripes are put in position at one end held in place and the backing paper withdrawn lengthwise from underneath. 

Apologies if I'm stating the blooming obvious but this worked on a recent Azur Potez 452 kit.

Good luck.

Cheers Pat

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, RidgeRunner said:

@Richard Tucker I think I still have a nearly full set of good Heller decals that I dont need. You are welcome to them if it helps.

E6300640-E842-48DD-81DE-802007FBEA9D

Martin

These new decals are so much better than the SMER ones I have. The colours look better, especially the blue. Thank you. I'll PM you.

4 hours ago, RidgeRunner said:

@Richard Tucker Richard, check the recent Heller GB as there were a few LeO builds on there.

Martin

I will go and remind myself of the trials and tribulations :)  Thank you for the decals. I really appreciate it.

• Like 1

I'm chuffed to see one of these turn up and will be following with interest! Having done battle with this kit (and lost) not just once but twice I wish you every success... 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TonyOD said:

I'm chuffed to see one of these turn up and will be following with interest! Having done battle with this kit (and lost) not just once but twice I wish you every success... 

But I think you had a great subject. I think you, or someonelse, should try again ;)

Martin

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, RidgeRunner said:

I think you, or someonelse, should try again

I suspect I probably will. Unfinished business, and all that.

• Like 1

I will watch this if I may, I’ve just ordered some bits from boutique renaissance models in France for this and a Bloch 174 as well as decals from Hannants. I’ve read wip’s  on here to see what I have let myself in for. Good luck.

Quite a bit of progress over the last few days. I assembled the cockpit parts and then sprayed them and the internals with a mix of French Blue and Ocean Grey.

y4m-3d52akOS-I0zA5JQRC3AgSojZxTjhTMwut3L

It will need some touch ups in places but I expect most of it will be invisible.

I've done about 70% of the masking including the nose cone which is full of tricky curves. Even the straight lines are curved thanks to the curvature of the piece.

The turret is a strange looking beast. It is asymmetrical and is open at the back. So far, this looks like it fits together well and the fuselage is straight.

I spent quite a bit of time reading the builds of @RidgeRunner@TonyOD x2 and others. I've decided that

1) I'm not adjusting the fuselage. What came in the kit is what is being built :)

2) I'm doing an early version so the kit undercarriage should be a fair representation

3) I don't think I'll crack out the new panel line scriber I've got on this beast. I'll save it for something else.

4) I'm not scared of you Leo. If you want to see scary, try the Valom Handley Page Sparrow that I've just completed.....

• Like 7

30 minutes ago, Richard Tucker said:

I spent quite a bit of time reading the builds of @RidgeRunner@TonyOD x2 and others. I've decided that

1) I'm not adjusting the fuselage. What came in the kit is what is being built :)

2) I'm doing an early version so the kit undercarriage should be a fair representation

3) I don't think I'll crack out the new panel line scriber I've got on this beast. I'll save it for something else.

4) I'm not scared of you Leo. If you want to see scary, try the Valom Handley Page Sparrow that I've just completed.....

Good choices, Richard! Really the length issue is really not noticable and my micrometer was retired years ago! Yes, the kit u/c is good for yours. I agree regarding the panel lines - I didn't bother as you saw. Don't be scared, there is help out here! ;)

Martin

PS: Decals packaged and I should get to the PO this weekend

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

I've made quite a bit of progress but haven't posted in ages I've been on holiday for 2 weeks.

Firstly, the decals arrived from @RidgeRunner.These are brilliant - so much better quality than the SMER ones. Thank you.

I think I am going to do a scheme with the older style tail planes as the shape is really unusual. From what I understand, the original tail planes were replaced early on in the production run and planes with this older style might have had the new style retrofitted? 

I started work on the complex undercarriage. I began gluing it and later realised I had glued one of the parts upside down 😕

y4mUbGcKxaXvc3IUReMp1KQ_hX-vi9GEU1wSdwjw

I snapped it off and glued it back on the right way up :) 

As the inside was finished, I glued the 2 halves together.

y4m2B5_styp_Y8iX9pSwbIdZ5PRwmbjbcn5-2tYB

I sanded the join a bit to remove the small lip and glued the tail plane on. At this point, I was still undecided about the scheme I was doing, hence the lack of tail planes.

I carefully cut through the wheel well to enable me to bend open the undercarriage doors. This seemed to work ok. I don't know if they will stay attached though....

The wheel assemblies were glued together and then superglued into the lower wing halves.

y4mRcxaEHCTLPr9D_sgCXLyijnRxpqSxjovmaRkb

The top halves were glued onto the bottom halves after dry fitting everything together with the fuselage.

More photos later as I've done the assembly and have begun the painting but haven't taken any photos of that.

• Like 6

The great thing about having some days off and the British weather was that I could make some progress on the LeO. I should remember to take more photos.

The wings went on pretty well and once filled and sanded, they looked good. I'm using the Hataka French paint set which I thin a little with some Vallejo thinner and then airbrush on. The blue for the underside had a couple of coats and then was masked off once it was dry.

y4mnmJKDgOIJgKmJY0gAHKuMp26y8PUT4wduI9yn

I then sprayed the top surface with the grey colour, again from the Hataka French set + thinner. The photo makes it look more beige than it actually is.

y4m2Ifx-jNNzqq2DjbzbREeQbEZzvqN-sCeh4PDT

While painting this, there was some ominous creaking from one of the forward windows. I really hope I haven't pushed it into the fuselage. The moment of truth will be later in the week when I take off all the masking 😕 

This dried overnight and then last night I painted the greeny colour. The Hataka set has a really bright green which doesn't look right to my eyes. It doesn't match the Heller Musee instructions or the SMER instructions. The colour is much more drab. I had a look through my paints and found an Olive drab colour that matches the Musee instructions really well so I've used that.

y4mU2iIwxe1fNGE1lsNlwYPRSJ5ivwTVSJaxlgHf

Chocolate is next and then the masks come off......

• Like 7

Hi Richard,

Just caught up with your build - such a great-looking aeroplane! I really fancy doing one of these in Vichy markings.

Looking forward to seeing the big reveal :) 

Cheers,

Mark

• Like 2