First real effort in about 50 years

In advance of starting my 17 Sqn builds I thought I really ought to practice!

Lessons learned for anyone in my position:

1. R.T.F.I.!!!!
2. Don’t rush to paint it.

3. Preparation and dry fitting is key

4. Check where the decals go before attaching external gubbins - sometimes these need to go on top of the decal😤

5. Don’t be scared😎. It’s plastic. It will take a bit of mucking about!

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

You really all are too kind. I know where it’s wrong, badly done etc. etc. However, I’m pleased with the way it turned out in general. It was a learning exercise and the next one will hopefully be better insofar as my skill level has improved.

Thanks again for taking the time to look.

Bill

P.S. Next up will be a Hurricane Mk 1, “Flying Popeye”🤞🤞🤞

• Like 1

That is fantastic!

5 hours ago, Tojo72 said:

Looks like you never left the bench,great job.

Agreed

5 hours ago, BillF67 said:

I know where it’s wrong, badly done etc. etc

Just keep schtum and they will never know ;)

BTW :goodjob:

From one who has just restarted modelling after fifty years to another. Very Well Done.

The joy and satisfaction of creating a model with your bare hands cannot be overestimated.

Even if the wife does see them as dust magnets.

Hate to ask, but is that the old 1/72 Airfix kit? If it is, you did a very good job, especially after such a long leave of absence! It's not an easy kit to build, as has been pointed out, or if you didn't have one of the original releases, a lot of flash to deal with. I can certainly identify with your reticence, as my last finished model, a 1/72 Matchbox Siskin, was built in 1985! I hope to come out of retirement this year, but I'm nervous about revealing my ineptitude and rusty skills to the assembled throng here on BM, but I need to put up or shut up! BTW, which Hurricane kit are you going to try? Can't wait to see it!

Mike

By the way- welcome back!

No, this was the new(? No idea about how “new”) one. I have the old one to build - it will be in 17Sqn markings. I’m doing a new (again no idea how old) Airfix Mk1 in the markings of P/O Stevens, N2359 “Flying Popeye”. After that, the plan is AZ Models Spitfire F.Mk14e in the markings of S/L Lacey 1945 version. It’s good to have a plan. I’m building up the nerve to build then paint (gulp) a Beaufighter Target Tug.