PZL.37 Łoś armament

Madalo

spacer.png

I have purchased two 1/72 PZL.37 Łoś kits; one Plastyk and one IBG kit. I plan to model them as in service with the Romanian Air Force and would like to upgrade them with some better details. I have found some good aftermarket decals and bought two sets of the Yahu instrument panels. I would also like to upgrade the armament.

When trying to find out more about the armament I have read that most had three wz.33 machine guns while some in Romanian service were upgraded with a fourth. It also seems that some had a mix of machine guns with one or more Vickers F.

Where did the Romanians place the fourth machine gun?

Is it correct that only the early variants had the Vickers F? In what positions on the aircraft were those placed? Did any of those see action in Romanian service?

Edited by Madalo
Grammar

I have a book on the Romanian Air Force from 1939-1948. I'll give it a look in a few and see if anything is mentioned or if any photo's provide an indication.

• Like 1

Initial proposal was for a 20 mm cannon in the nose and twin 7.9 mm macine guns in the dorsal and ventral positions. This was dropped because of the adverse affect it would have on performance (speed).

Three movable single 7.92 mm calibre machine guns on the front, rear and ventral positions. Standard machine guns of the type PWU wz. 37 Szczeniak (Puppy) with the original Polish FZ wz. 38 sight. On Łoś A and A bis, initially Vickers F machine guns in all positions or both types of machine guns, PWU wz.37 and Vickers F, at different positions. Firing area for the front machine gun - 25 ° to the sides and up and 45 ° downwards, ammunition reserve - 384 rounds (four magazines). A rear machine gun on an Alcan half-turntable, hidden in the rear of the fuselage, with a fire field of 192 ° horizontally, 60 ° up and 10 ° down, and an ammunition reserve of 960 rounds (ten magazines). Lower machine gun hidden inside the fuselage, with a field of fire of 75 ° downwards and 60 ° to the sides, and a reserve ammunition with 288 rounds (three magazines). Total stock of ammunition - 1632 rounds.

Cannot find any information on what the Romanians used.  

• Like 2

I've just reviewed the book I mentioned - unfortunately it doesn't discuss the Los very much. On the other hand, if you need information on the Potez 63 series...

Thanks, the above was about what I was able to find too. I will presume that the Vickers F only equipped early Polish versions and that they subsequently were replaced by the wz.37 machine gun as it became readily available.