1:24 Jaguar E-type Roadster from Revell [COMPLETE!]

I seem to have picked up a new habit of building sportscar models in the last year or so so with the recent release of the Revell E-type kit, I thought I'd indulge myself!

DSC_5822.JPG

Interesting that the box art seems to have a 1990s Sean Bean driving a 1960s Diana Rigg in a left-hand drive car with a German number plate outside a English country house. That would be in interesting story in its own right! Hmm, I wonder if I could find a 1:24 figure for Emma Peel?

Here are the contents of the box - the body is moulded in dark green plastic which may be tricky considering the colour scheme i want to use- more on that later!

DSC_5820.JPG

There are two sprues that have been chromed...

DSC_5823.JPG

The wire wheels are moulded quite well it seems - it will be interesting to see what they'll look like once the chrome is stripped off - yes of course I'm stripping the chrome paint and applying my own, wouldn't you? The decal sheet has an interesting selection of number plates with one glaring omission

DSC_5824.JPG

There is no "proper" UK number plate, just "1962 E" which isn't a real registration number. This will of course be built right-hand drive. On the recommendation of fellow model club members, the chosen colour schem won't be the Sherwood Green that is implied by the kit, but Primrose Yellow instead, ie to make it look like this

Front-corner-1.jpg

which is rather attractive I reckon! So the first task is to get rid of that chrome plating so into a zip-lock bag with them along with some Mr Muscle Oven cleaner:

DSC_5860.JPG

After a couple of hours the chrome was gone and the bare green plastic was left

DSC_5868.JPG

I then gave the sprues a light scrub with isopropyl alcohol and a toothbrush to make sure any resodue was removed. The dark splotches you see in the photo above are an artefact of the photo and aren't there in real life. Thats the progress so far...now to look for a 1:24 Emma Peel :D 

Edited by Kallisti
  • Like 12

23 minutes ago, Kallisti said:

Interesting that the box art seems to have a 1990s Sean Bean driving a 1960s Diana Rigg

But don't forget Lassie...😉

The Revell kit will let me reconsider my available maximum space of storage.

Kind regards

Thomas

• Like 1

Nice colour choice, I hope you don't have any issues getting yellow to cover the green plastic.  According to the JDHT, Pale Primrose was the third most popular colour for the Series 1, 4.2-litre E-type and could be specified with cream or black upholstery.  The most popular colour for Series 1 E-types was Cream (most popular on the 3.8, second most popular on the 4.2)

I bought this kit recently, so I'm very interested in seeing how it goes together.  From memory, the kit includes decals for the 4.2-litre E-type boot badge but a 1962 E would still be a 3.8 litre car and all the other details (as far as I can tell) match a 1962 E-type.  The 4.2 didn't arrive until October 1964 and the only badge on the boot should be the "Jaguar" script, at least the badge isn't moulded in.

Good luck finding Mrs Peel, she might be in The House that Jack Built, or The Town of no Return...

• Like 2

Another one here that will be keeping an eye on this build - I've been eyeing up this kit but, like others, need to free up a bit of stash space first (and resist the temptation of other kits). I hadn't realised that it had been moulded in dark green, hope that covers ok. At least it's not red!

And another one who would like to see Lassie too, although I'm not sure I like the way she seems to be on a collision course with the E-Type on the box art. And I hope your kit has better luck than the last yellow E-Type roadster I saw which got rear-ended by a TVR coming off the ferry :doh:

• Like 2

I found a Mrs Peel figure, the sculpting and painting of which is exemplary, not to mention the bargain price.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/333908687774

Back to the kit, you'd think they'd at least put a proper Coventry registration number in there.  I'm almost tempted to get one of these, but the wheels and tyres look problematic.  Wheels too large, tyres too low profile, or both?  The tyres also have an unusually square shoulder and the tread seems too wide... they just don't look right.

Edited by Six97s
  • Haha 3

3 hours ago, Six97s said:

I found a Mrs Peel figure, the sculpting and painting of which is exemplary, not to mention the bargain price.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/333908687774

Gosh, my gob has been well and truly smacked by this stunning revelation... er... thanks... I think...

• Haha 3
  • Sad 1

19 hours ago, KingSlug said:

I built the 1/8 Monogram one a million years ago..Its long gone..Need another.

Ditto! More years that I can remember. I was just a child then....

Built the Revell re-pop for an office friend, some years later (2008, I think ?)

Bit of a beast, if I recall....

Cheers,

Alan.

• Like 1

Progress has been made on the build - one of the first things to sort out was priming the dark green parts to be able to be painted Primrose Green later. After multiple attempts with Tamiya white primer, I came to the realisation that it wasn't up to the job on its own. The pigment is too thin and particularly on sharp edges doesn't provide good coverage and has a habit of pooling and running. So instead I laid down an initial primer of Tamiya grey which has a denser pigment and better coverage. Over the top of that once cured I put the Tamiya white primer to be used as the base for the Primrose Yellow later

DSC_5874.JPG

The kit instructions begin the build sequence with the engine which looks neat right out of the box and has plenty of opportunity to add detail. I'm not sure just yet whether I can be bothered adding leads etc right now

DSC_5875.JPG

The next sequence is for the rear axle and suspension which goes together with a bit of fiddling

DSC_5878.JPG

DSC_5879.JPG

Here you can also see the Primrose Yellow over the white primer and I reckon it looks the business! The black you see on the underside is Tamoya XF-69 Nato Black while the black on the rear suspension is a mix of Tamiya X-18 semi-gloss black with about 20% XF-69 added to dull it down a bit. The 'silver' is Mr Metallic Color Aluminium

The engine bay bulkhead has also been primed and painted yellow

DSC_5880.JPG

and the front axle framework too

DSC_5881.JPG

• Like 9

Nice job on the paint and covering the green plastic.

You're right about the engine looking good, I think a set of plug leads would set it off to perfection.  A handy thing about the Jaguar XK engine (for the modeller, if not the mechanic on the real thing) is that the distributor is quite well buried so it isn't obvious if you don't get the plug leads on in the right order.

• Thanks 1

Good start here, although you're probably more than a little past the 'start' phase. I have to agree that the yellow is looking good, think this is going to look very good once complete.

• Thanks 1

Lots more progress, with more detail in the engine

DSC_5882.JPG

DSC_5883.JPG

which I think looks pretty good out of the box. There are a few decals that still need to be applied but in comparison to the real thing, I'm quite pleased:

Etype-engine-near.jpg

Etype-engine-7.jpg

Then there is the dashboard which has had it decals applied and also looks pretty decent I reckon.

DSC_5889.JPG

• Like 11

On 23/07/2021 at 23:18, noeyedears said:

I didnt realise this was such a nice kit. i did the gunze one and it was a bitch.

Your WIP makes me thinking to buy one too. I agree the Gunze Jag was disappointing and to me it didn't look right when finished. 

Marco F 

Massive update today, lots of pics so be warned :) First off a whole load of but that are ready for Alclad chrome paint plus the wire wheel bosses already chromed

DSC_5910.JPG

I usually leave the glass black primer at least 24 hours to fully cure before putting the chome on top. The wheel bosses got primed a couple of days before and here is what they looked like when assembed into the tyres

DSC_5927.JPG

Next the internals got assembled once the seats and inner doors were fully painted up. The one thing that is yet to be done in this pic is to paint the passenger grab handle that got added after the rest was assembled.

DSC_5911.JPG

I'm pleased with how the seats came out - took 3 attempts at painting them to get soemthign I was totally happy with

DSC_5914.JPG

Next, the final details got added to the engine - I've also added some extra pipework using lead wire although I've stopped short at adding the spark plug cables - my confidence of doing them well failed me :)

DSC_5912.JPG

DSC_5913.JPG

There is scope to add plenty more but I'm a novice at these engines so didn't want to make a mess of it. Next was the assembly of the bonnet supporting frame. This of course had to have the primrose yellow paint job applied and details picked out in Mr Metal Color aluminium

DSC_5916.JPG

The headlights have had their rims painted with Mr Metal Color Aluminium - these got accidentally left out of the Alclad chrome process so I took a shortcut and used the Aluminium paint.

DSC_5915.JPG

This then led to assembly of the rest of the bonnet after the headlamp lenses were glues in with Glue n Glaze

DSC_5922.JPG

I was initially concerned about the joint between the upper and lower parts of the bonnet 

DSC_5923.JPG

But thankfully this will be hidden by the bumpers when they get added. However the joint inside the intake is a bit obvious and I'm still worried about that

DSC_5924.JPG

I'm not sure how much the chromework will conceal once its added - will need to test it and see if any filler is required. One issue that did need cereful attention was this joint between the bonnet wing and the internal support

DSC_5925.JPG

This needed to be strapped up and glued to make sure the bonnet curves conform to the rest of the bodywork. It naturally wants to be a bit wider so I had to apply some tape while this joint dried to make sure it was the correct shape. The next task was to attach the main bodyshell to the chassis. This was a tricky task which required a considerable flexing of the shell to get it to fit over the body and not get stuck on the door uprights!

DSC_5917.JPG

DSC_5918.JPG

I'm pleased to say that the fit is pretty good, even thought its been pre-painted!

DSC_5919.JPG

Once again I was a bit concerned about the joints at the back but these will also be covered by the chrome bumpers when added later

DSC_5920.JPG

DSC_5921.JPG

The final update concerns the cover of the roof which comes moulded in brown plastic - this got painted black 

DSC_5928.JPG

However when it was dry-fitted to the body I noticed that the front 'fold' isn't very convincing

DSC_5929.JPG

There is a big vertical edge there that I think is wrong when compared to photos of the real thing

Etype-int-rear-sm.jpg

cover-fixing.jpg

So I think that front edge needs reshaping to be more accurate. That is going to be the next task I think. One last thing - something I noticed the kit is missing is the bonnet clasps

DSC_3758-edited-68-1030x686.jpg

I'm not sure if I can be bothered trying to replicate them... let see how I feel over the next few days :)

• Like 3

At the risk of being picky, the external latches were only on the earliest “flat floor” examples. This floor pan has the deeper foot wells from what I can see on your picture of the underside above, so it shouldn’t have external latches.

Very nice build so far, and good colour choice…

best,

M.

• Thanks 1

Ahhh thank you for that clarification, I'm not an expert on the E-type so this sort of detail escapes me, I just found the pics on the internet but didn't realise there were different versions.

• Thanks 1

It was only the first 500 or so E-types that had outside bonnet locks, making them particularly valued by collectors.  @cmatthewbacon is right, Revell have depicted a car with the lower footwells which came in some time after the outside bonnet locks were replaced by internal catches.

• Thanks 1