Desk lamp

Andy350

Hi, I hope this is the correct forum.  For a while I have been using magnified classes that shine an LED light over the area.  These are ok, just not that comfortable.  Does anyone use a desk light?  I was planning on using a desk light along with some magnified glasses which I can just swap our for extra magnification without the weight.

Yes: been there done that.  I have had the lights in my loft changed from one  behind my head to one on each side.  I then have a high-mounted LED light and a twin V-mounting I can swing out over close work.  The more light the better.  I had the full headband unit but didn't like it and replaced it by a light frame with a choice of clip-in lenses.  However as I have bi-focals with a +3 anyway, I only find the +4 useful for close work, which is when the extra light is required.

I also had bought a number of fixed lens frames from Boots which presumably would do much the same thing, but these were for use during and immediately after my cataract operations as these coincided with the first Covid surge so I couldn't get prescription lenses.  These however don't extend down for modelling, but seem perfectly satisfactory for computer work and the like.  Obviously they should not be used instead of prescription lenses, but did and do act as a supplement.

• Thanks 1

I've had this magnifier lamp for at least 30 years now. I think I may have replaced the 40 watt bulb once in that time, but I'm not sure. I have no idea if something like this is even available nowdays.

49143346097_cb3003b0fe_b.jpg

Chris

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Andy350 said:

Hi, I hope this is the correct forum.  For a while I have been using magnified classes that shine an LED light over the area.  These are ok, just not that comfortable.  Does anyone use a desk light?  I was planning on using a desk light along with some magnified glasses which I can just swap our for extra magnification without the weight.

Yes I've got a couple of these unfortunately Martin's out of stock at present as they sell fast, he's always getting new stock.  Just one of these replaced 2 of Lightcrafts older tube jobs and they where top of the range.  These are slightly smaller, use far less power and produce a lot more light, they are totally adjustable as is the level of light.  Not cheap but well worth it.      

Edited by Kev The Modeller
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have a Luxo L-1 task lamp. Massive thing that I got for a great price on the bay. It started life with an incandescent bulb; it's had a 1600 lumen daylight LED for a long time...

• Thanks 1

I use an old fashioned Angle-poise lamp that I've had for 50 (!) years now. Its fitted with a 150W equivalent day-light LED bulb. The lamp base sits at the forward edge of my desk and the light is able to swing over what ever I'm making.

I wear various strengths of cheap reading glasses. Generally, 1.5D for most modelling going to 3.0D for painting small details such as eyes on 1/72 pilots

On my leathering work bench I have a couple of these lights, see below, one at each end of the bench, each fitted with 150 w equivalent day-light LED bulbs. Together they can almost reach the centre of the bench

example;

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/153491482593?_trkparms=aid%3D1110006%26algo%3DHOMESPLICE.SIM%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20200818142055%26meid%3Db8bf0d8dbb89417898bc2ec2bcd9c108%26pid%3D101113%26rk%3D2%26rkt%3D12%26sd%3D184844296111%26itm%3D153491482593%26pmt%3D0%26noa%3D1%26pg%3D2563228%26algv%3DDefaultOrganic%26brand%3DStatus&_trksid=p2563228.c101113.m2108

Mine are black and I got them for under £12  each

• Like 1

Dogsboy: I used one of those for quite a while, though replaced the light with a daylight bulb.  I found it awkward to use, particularly as mine was usually folded right down so the support stuck out and interfered with stacks of books etc.  Currently the base is in use as a weight to prevent an awkwardly-supported shelf from tipping over when I load boxes on the cantilevered end.  Waste not want not - but the rest is tucked away somewhere out of the way.

• Like 1

Thats a good price.

With all the variations in bulbs now they are rated in Lumens, ie the visible light coming from them

I have a 7w LED light which is brighter than a 9w LED light, different Lumens rating

My lamp has a small screw clamp that clamps it to the end of my table.

I forgot to add these in my above posting. Using both of them, I could probably see the hairs on a gnat's scrotum!

49110879693_2c7e669638_b.jpg

Chris

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1