ARL 44: Le dernier char lourd

Mig Eater

Here is my contribution to the GB, the ARL 44 heavy tank in 1/35 scale by Amusing Hobby.

The ARL 44 has quite an interesting developmental history, the origins of it design started in 1943 as a tracked snow blower for the German Kriegsmarinem. French engineers secretly designed the parts with the duel intention of them also being using in a future tank design though. In late 1944 most of France had been liberated & work started in earnest on the ARL 44 with the hopes that it would be ready in time to take part in the invasion of Germany (Allied HQ at the time were expecting the Germans to put up more of a fight & that the war would take longer then it actually did). The first prototype was ready in 1946 & was fitted with the 76mm gun from the Sherman tank. It was quickly decided that this weapon was to small for use in modern combat so production was put on hold while & a new larger turret with a 90mm gun was designed. The new weapon took several years to develop but was finally completed in 1949, production continued with 60 tanks built in total. They didn't live very long though, in 1954 they were removed from service & replaced by the M47 Patton, most were scraped & some where used on target ranges.         

spacer.png

The kit comes with only four sprues, two of which are copies.  

spacer.png

The rest of the kits contains a single large upper hull, metal barrel, bag of individual workable tracks & a set of decals (there is some string to use as a tow rope too but I'm not using that).

spacer.png

Close up of the upper hull, which is quite detailed & surprisingly sturdy.

spacer.png

To add some colour to the kit I got AK's new modern French paint set. This is their new 3rd Gen paint that they have been advertising a lot recently, I'm curious to see if it's any better then their "old" paint.
spacer.png

The part count of the kit is low & a dont see anything that will cause any issues, so looks like it will be a relatively quick build (famous last words 😅). It's become obligatory for me to add some 3D printed parts to every model I make though, which will add some time. For this one I'm thinking of printing the alternative ACL 1 turret used on the first prototype, I'll build the model first though & then see how much time is left & If I still feel like it 😛

Edited by Mig Eater
  • Like 8

• Mig Eater changed the title to ARL 44: End of an Era

Good to see the ARL-44 in this GB, it looks an interesting kit too.

Have the French saved one of these at Saumur ?

Good luck and welcome to the GB.

• Mig Eater changed the title to ARL 44: Le dernier char lourd

There are five "surviving" tanks;

Musée des Blindés Saumur
ARL_44_in_the_Mus%C3%A9e_des_Blind%C3%A9

Monument out side the 501st-503rd Tank Regiment

ARL-44_at_Mourmelon_le_Grand.JPG

Three different wrecks that were rescued from target ranges & are now at the ASPHM Association in La Wantzenau

spacer.png

arl44%2090.jpg

arl44%2092.jpg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

I eagerly started my build on Wednesday morning by putting all the parts back in the box & then turning on my computer to start work on the 3D model of the prototype ACL turret, so much for it being an after thought :P

There is only one known photograph of an ARL 44 fitted with the ACL turret & it's not at the best angle... 

arl44-prototype-turret.jpg

The ARL 44 prototype is featured in both of the online games World of Tanks & War Thunder, the later one looks more accurate so I'm going to use that as a reference for the parts you can't see in the photo.

EUCM3LAWsAAZm_a.jpg  

I also didn't want to start building the model just yet because I'm going to be away for a few weeks & would rather start the build when I'm back instead of having to stop halfway through. So it might be awhile before I post some more plastic, the 3D model of the ACL turret is nearly done though so maybe some 3D renders before I leave.

Edited by Mig Eater

• 1 month later...