Hasegawa 1/72 General Dynamic ECM EF-111A Raven AKA Spark Vark with swept wings

This is the venerable Hasegawa F-111 which has been boxed in virtually every version of the F-111 made. In this case it is the EF-111A Electronic Counter Measures (ECM) version. Every boxing I have seen of this kit shows it with the wings swept forward and the flaps fully extended, Such as with my FB-111A that I built of a few years ago

sJYQnjUV_o.jpg

but what I have never seen advertised is that Hasegawa engineered this kit to also display it, with only minor surgery, with the wings fully swept back and and the flaps fully retracted. So I decided to show what the process is to pull it off. Also I needed to do it to save display shelf space

First on the upper and lower fuselage there are 2 thinned areas of plastic that need to be removed. Here on the upper fuselage:

B5306wjE_o.jpg

and here on the lower:

j8NkiZep_o.jpg

and here they are removed

TINKN6wO_o.jpg

N9DzyJEg_o.jpg

Once you glue them together the opening will look like this

IhvGHPyD_o.jpg

Next is the somewhat more complex work on the wings. The front slats have several little tabs that fir into notches on the lower wings

PJ4i9fdT_o.jpg

These need to be extended to the top of the wing

H9WQ1SUA_o.jpg

once this is done the slats will more or less neatly fit into the wing leading edge

BKC91j0U_o.jpg

resized_0efecfff-d1ba-4024-9c09-010ab892

For the flaps the whole extensions of them need to be removes

GIsVLCSq_o.jpg

VWDaHDhF_o.jpg

Being careful to leave the small stubs that fir into the wing trailing edge

Again once done they will fit into the wings

fBap47jp_o.jpg

mybNlCag_o.jpg

Finally there is a tab in the upper fuselage half, hard to see here

636f2HlX_o.jpg

that a slot on the upper wing fits into.

y3fuPSdj_o.jpg

Slot A is for the fully forward wing and slot B in for the fully swept wing. Note projection C, broken here, will engage with a pin in the upper fuselage in the fully forward position to give it extra strength. We don't need this in the swept position.

So once all this is done we get this;

jZegpysW_o.jpg

And this is how it looks fully assembled

V4x4AlPn_o.jpg

So now that that is over we can finish the build. I used the Eduard interior and the Caracal 72101 decal sheet. I chose the "Mistress of Deception" marking because it is such a great name. I have to note that this is the first time I have had issues with Caracal decals. These had a very thin film, which is good, but it was so thin that they were had to position without them  wanting to roll up into a ball.

Anyway. Here it is

Xo3eyP4K_o.jpg

p9JSucUb_o.jpg

qDGzCVNt_o.jpg

n5PmijcM_o.jpg

XIuQksgo_o.jpg

WQUOk2ne_o.jpg

Here are my 3 F-111 builds together. From left to right these are F-111E, FB-111A nd EF-111A

qtCmiZr3_o.jpg

Next up will be the Sword TAV-8A.

Enjoy

• Like 25

1 hour ago, SafetyDad said:

Beautiful! The streamlined look, together with the grey scheme, make for a very different overall final result.

I have an F-111E in the SEA color scheme that I also swept the wings on and this one just looks sleeker and better.

Thanks

Very nice build, I didn't know that the "Spark Vark" ever came in the camouflage scheme. I built the Hasegawa "E" version a few years ago and have pleasant memories of building it.  

• Thanks 1