Helldiver SB2C-5 Indochina 1954

Ettore

Construction of the final version of the SB2C-5 Helldiver in French colors. This aircraft BU.No 89357 3.F-16, Flottille 3.F Aeronavale Française Indochina 1954 departed from both the sites:  the aircraft carrier Arromanches and the Bach Mai base, during the battle of Dien Bien Phu. during these missions it flew without the rear gunner and was quite dirty and worn, but from the photos it is not that you see much this.  I chose to equip it  with a radar AN/APS-4 under the right wing and eight 8-inch HVAR.

spacer.png

Ettore :bye:

• Like 17

Ettore,

A great subject choice, one I'm very pleased to see in the GB.

What are you going to do about the holes in the flaps/dive brakes?  There's an awful lot of drilling to be done if you don't use some etched brass!

Good luck with it and welcome to the GB.

Thanks Wez
As in another old Helldiver, but U.S. SB2-4C, I think to keep the flaps closed and at the end do a wash with red oil color, so that it stays in the holes and gives the impression of the inside of the airbrakes

spacer.png

• Like 10

• 2 weeks later...

Great choice Ettore

Have you got to drill out all the individual holes in those air breaks ?

Thats a lovely tidy workbench, best I don't post a picture of my own shambles of a work area !

Good luck.

Cheers Pat

• Like 1

I answer Pat first: no, I'll leave them like this; if it had been in 1/48 scale the dirty work could be done, but in 1/72 it is a waste of time with the risk of ruining something

I can finally show something!

It was a bit boring but I managed to insert the resin trolley compartments, certainly some anarchic cut with the cutter was on the plastic but I think I can fix it later

main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_it

the kit is rich in resins parts and I have also added some photoengraving, it is important to follow the instructions because they explain some changes to be made to adapt the resin parts

Here are some parts of the front cockpit assembled and colored

After having mounted some photo etchings in the cockpit of the radio operator and observer, I sprayed grey primer; however I must see some photos of the time well because these planes did not have the rear machine gun and therefore all the frames to support the ammunition, including the opening mechanism of the turtle back ........ ultimately they were quite light and the the operator sat directly on the seat of the gunner.

See you soon !

• Like 10

• 2 weeks later...

Good morning
Work continues on this beautiful dive bomber: finished the cockpit and the compartment of the radio operator (I remember that later this French version did not have the defensive rear machine gun, also because there was no Vietminh aviation and its use as an attack on the ground and bomber was more suitable in that context), so I said that I also closed the two half fuselages.

The bomb compartement

.... and hot air outlet in photoengraving

at next...............

Ettore  :bye:

Edited by Ettore
  • Like 10

Good morning everyone

Finally I managed with a bit of fear to join the wings and the horizontal stabilizers to the fuselage, I had to reconstruct some pieces of connection in plasticard but in the end it went pretty well with the grouting and smoothing.

Cause my usual mistake, I get too distracted, I had to modify a little the area of the Hvar supports, by the way, do you know what color they were in that historical period? Someone told me light grey or dirty white with an olive green point and aluminum tail fins.

Here a small detail of the engine and of the hatches of the bomb bay

Finally here it is masked waiting for the transparencies masked too

Se you soon

Edited by Ettore
  • Like 10

• 2 weeks later...

Good evening

And let's give it this preshading blow: Only black below and black and white above .......... very random and imprecise

spacer.png

spacer.png

later I took care of the details, specifically the HVAR pylons will be done in midnight blue ....

And we come to the main color: H-54 Gunze glazes (like Pierpaolo), the same color lightened with white and / or mixed with night blue on the edges and on some upper wing panels; then H55 Night Blue always in glazes to cover everything and finally the same lightened loooong lightly with white on the wing panels and naca; below a little something like lightening.

Then with the polishing it will darken everything, but with aging the colors should come out ....... meanwhile, tomorrow afternoon I will dedicate myself to the trampling areas in black and to the propeller ...

• Like 13

• 5 weeks later...

Goodmorning everyone
Sorry for my inaction, but the work has left me no respite, however it is the last 44 days and then my work cycle is over.
This kit finally gave me some problems in the coloring, the fault is mine I confess: I mixed a Gunze blue with a Tamiya white and I got a little orange peel on the surfaces, in any case I tried to hide with the aging and here is the result ...

At next

• Like 12

• 4 weeks later...

Thank you very much
unfortunately a stupid accident led to the destruction of the plane, so I have to withdraw from this GB hoping to do it again in the future, and I will certainly buy the kit again.

Modeling should relax us, but it is a bit of a difficult time and I often get nervous, it will get better later ...

Ettore :angry:

PS anyway .............. I'll do it again !!

Edited by Ettore
  • Sad 2

On 10/23/2021 at 10:44 PM, Ettore said:

Thank you very much
unfortunately a stupid accident led to the destruction of the plane, so I have to withdraw from this GB hoping to do it again in the future, and I will certainly buy the kit again.

Modeling should relax us, but it is a bit of a difficult time and I often get nervous, it will get better later ...

Ettore :angry:

PS anyway .............. I'll do it again !!

I know the feeling, man.