Kettenkrad DAK

This was a fun mini project. Another 3D print bought from a lovely gentleman called Jeff who seems to enjoy printing AFV as much as I enjoy painting. 

FCE20929-542B-478B-8F97-B770C268E015

75762B75-04C1-4B04-A086-94ED45C563C3

DB1DFD8B-08E1-4F50-B170-9AF60EAD898D

37E4ECE7-0191-4D33-B2DB-9F6BAA52F1EE

9D78CF34-2EFB-4305-BCA2-C599DA621135

C26BD4BB-B4EB-4A43-AF7B-E3C956655F28

And I couldn’t resist this guy with a chameleon! My Africa shelf is filling up nicely.

Next project as an SDKFZ 251, which is going to be loaded with figures. 

Thanks for looking and for any comments.

• Like 14

• 2 weeks later...

Scale is 1:16. 

Whilst there are an abundance of wonderful figures in this scale, unfortunately, the variety of AFV in kit form is really very limited. So I’ve turned to using 3D prints to display my figures. 
Luckily, I’ve been buying from a gentleman local to me who is happy to print literally any vehicle I request.

I’ve got a dingo to put together, a 251 nearly complete and a jeep on order. 

@Bertie Psmith It was printed in several sections. The front ‘bike’ pieces are all separate, the wheels and tracks as one single piece and the body was one. Anything detailed is printed separately.

The guy I buy from enjoys ‘splicing’ the files on his computer. So he will take several different models’ files and select the best parts from each file - I guess in our world we call this Kit Bashing. 

He particularly enjoys working on the less obvious AFV so my requests for future builds are a staghound and the Daimler armoured car to go with my dingo. I think a Cromwell in 1:16 will also be one he will print soon.

My wife says a 3D print is cheating! I enjoy elaborating the model with stowage and making my own ‘extra details’ from scratch. It’s all good fun.

1 minute ago, The Great Escape said:

@Bertie Psmith It was printed in several sections. The front ‘bike’ pieces are all separate, the wheels and tracks as one single piece and the body was one. Anything detailed is printed separately.

The guy I buy from enjoys ‘splicing’ the files on his computer. So he will take several different models’ files and select the best parts from each file - I guess in our world we call this Kit Bashing. 

He particularly enjoys working on the less obvious AFV so my requests for future builds are a staghound and the Daimler armoured car to go with my dingo. I think a Cromwell in 1:16 will also be one he will print soon.

My wife says a 3D print is cheating! I enjoy elaborating the model with stowage and making my own ‘extra details’ from scratch. It’s all good fun.

My grown up and IT savvy son has recently started 3D printing and makes figures for me to paint. I've watched him setting it up on his computer but its a mystery to me. I loved watching the figures appear as if by magic from a pool of fluid though. I'n ten years we will all have printers and Tamiya will just be sending out files. Betcha! 

Apparently watching it print is very therapeutic!

What I didn’t appreciate was how long it takes: he sets it off overnight and sometimes it takes days. My 251 took four days of printing apparently.

That people can print these from home is certainly something!