Tamiya 1/48 Dewointine D.520 - COMPLETE 05/09/21

20210711_155118

My entry, the venerable 2 sprue wonder from the 90's. Got the Eduard mask and will be getting the French PE seatbelt set month end to spruce up the cockpit. Probably going for the scheme used during the Battle of France. 

If my luck holds, I might have a Special Hobby 1/72 Mirage F.1AZ to use as a second entry, depending on whether I get my hands on one that's just landed here. It's going to be a punch up to get one I think 😁

Edited by Evil_Toast_RSA
Info
  • Like 7

I love the the D.520, a very graceful aircraft, in many ways similar to the Spitfire.

Welcome to the GB and good luck.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

In the spirit of Bastille Day, I've been stuck at home whilst the civil unrest in my city rages on. 

So, getting started. Being a Tamiya kit it's probably going to fall together with very little input from my end! Cockpit assembled, need to open up the seat corners to give a more accurate representation of the real thing and maybe some thin solder wire on the fuselage sides for cabling. 

20210714_084606

• Like 5

Hi,

I hope you are battering down the hatches and staying safe while the stupid madness is destroying your beautiful country!

This is a beautiful kit of a beautiful plane! Looking at the way you started it, I am sure you'll end up with a gem.

Have fun!

JR

PS: which model shop do you use down there?

• Thanks 1

On 15/07/2021 at 18:29, jean said:

PS: which model shop do you use down there?

Honestly, many different ones across the country! But I mostly buy from a guy who sells on FB (10 minute drive from work) and another online shop that's a 5 minute detour on my drive home. The local brick and mortar shop not so often. 

This particular kit I picked up off a 2nd hand FB seller for a bargain. 

[EDIT] - things have been quiet yesterday and today, some excitement down the road but it seems to be over now, I think. Now we need to clean up and figure out how to get the groceries. Not only have the distribution warehouses and stores been burnt, the ones that are still standing (like ours, the community and private security firms blocked off access and prevented their looting, but they remain closed due to the high probability that when they open, they will be raided) have run out of stock after literally 1 morning. Then you read this stuff and have some seriously deep thoughts. 

Screenshot_20210715-212738_Chrome

Turns out it was a hoax. I'm not a clever man...

Edited by Evil_Toast_RSA
I'm not a smart person...
  • Sad 3

2 hours ago, Evil_Toast_RSA said:

Honestly, many different ones across the country! But I mostly buy from a guy who sells on FB (10 minute drive from work) and another online shop that's a 5 minute detour on my drive home. The local brick and mortar shop not so often. 

This particular kit I picked up off a 2nd hand FB seller for a bargain. 

[EDIT] - things have been quiet yesterday and today, some excitement down the road but it seems to be over now, I think. Now we need to clean up and figure out how to get the groceries. Not only have the distribution warehouses and stores been burnt, the ones that are still standing (like ours, the community and private security firms blocked off access and prevented their looting, but they remain closed due to the high probability that when they open, they will be raided) have run out of stock after literally 1 morning. Then you read this stuff and have some seriously deep thoughts. 

Screenshot_20210715-212738_Chrome

There is no logical reason to loot a zoo, most of the animals require special habitats. Im guessing the idiots don't have the wherewith-all or finances to create.  Im sorry to see South Africa on fire, Im led to believe its not everywhere and most people are being responsible. I do hope that is true ? 

Dennis

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

There is no logical reason to loot a zoo, most of the animals require special habitats. 

A blood bank was looted too, so logic isn't a factor here. Anyway, this is a discussion for another time, things have come to light recently that paint an interesting picture. 

Cockpit 95% done. Now to assemble. 

20210716_121957

• Like 9

And assembly chugs along smoothly. The only issue so far is unsurprisingly the rear wing/fuselage join. Got some thin plasticard in and some sprue goo to melt it all together, ready for sanding etc tomorrow. 

20210717_225446

20210717_225522

• Like 9

Huzzah! Got some CA! First time adding brake lines, poorly I may add, but something a bit more interesting. Here's hoping the old adage that primer hides multiple sins holds true :D! 

20210718_121558

• Like 8

Small update. Looked at the decals and am not wholly convinced the colours are up to scratch on the roundels and rudder markings, namely the red, it looks incredibly terracotta. Also, full rudder decals give me the squirts. So decided to mask and paint them, and a friend's friend cut me some vinyl masks for the roundels. 

So, my attempt. Feel free to tell me my mother was a hamster and my father smelt like elderberries. 

Red - Tamiya XF-7 with a dash of X-24.

Blue - Tamiya X-14 & X-23 in roughly a 1:1 ratio. Read somewhere the blue varied early on, so hoping this is actually correct. 

White- Mr Surfacer 1500. I love this stuff. The Black 1500 has rocked my world since I got it. 

20210721_215024

• Like 9

Good evening neighbour,

great progress! Your take on the roundels/tail colors is pretty good. I am just a bit suspicious of the blue, which should be a tad greyer.

But South of the Limpopo is a long way from France, so leave it as it is. It will be just great.

As a brush painter, I have very little idea of what the Tamiya paint references are like... 

Great show.

JR

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Taking the above opinion under consideration, used XF-23 and X-23 in roughly a 1:1 ratio to get a greyer blue. Think my English teacher just fell out of bed... 

20210724_193710

And on to priming and blemish fixing. 

20210724_213045

• Like 9

Hi,

your greyer blue is so much better and  looks just the part.

Great progress.

JR

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Got the main colours down. Going to do some light fading next. 

20210802_195316

Lower surface Mr Color 367 (FS 35189 Grey Blue)

20210802_195308

20210802_195322

Upper colours:

Mr Color 366 Intermediate Blue

Tamiya XF-10 Flat Brown

Tamiya XF-58 Olive Green

[EDIT] All done freehand with my H&S Ultra 0.2mm. First time doing this. Need practice but I'm reasonably happy. Good thing the real plane was painted with a garden hose by the looks of it. 

Edited by Evil_Toast_RSA
Added info
  • Like 10

Done some fading on the paintwork, but seeing as this plane was not in service long enough by this point in it's life it's definitely not called for, but I'm pulling the artistic license card out for this. 

20210805_210101

20210807_151904

Things need to take a small break at this point, I'm getting some better masks for the roundals done locally and I'm hoping to have them by next weekend. 

[Edit] for the undersurface and top blue grey I used increments of Mr Color 325 FS 26440 grey to lighten it.

Used XF-4 with the green and XF-59 with the brown. 

Edited by Evil_Toast_RSA
Spellingz
  • Like 9

Hi and damn good show!

Your painting technique is real good. Well done.

The dark blue grey on the upper surfaces is supposed to be just a mix of black and white. The trick is to find the right density. When next to other colors it takes a slight purple/blue tinge. So nothing fancy really.

The light blue grey is a very light grey with a slight yellow tinge. Nothing blue, really. Trust the French to confuse the world!

I think you've done really good.

The only color I am skeptical about, is your khaki. Olive drab is not yellow enough. Humbrol 159 enamel would give you a good idea of the color to obtain.

That having been said, the French khaki was supposed to be a mixture of brown and yellow. The official directives though, failed to mention the proportions of brown and yellow... So the painters used what took their fancy really, so you can imagine that there were hardly ever two identical khakis.... What a nice mess!

Having said that, I still think that the olive green you used is too dark and lacks the yellow tinge.

But do not change anything to your model. Once the decals have been glued and the roundels painted, nobody will ever notice the slight discrepancy.

Have fun!

JR

@jean I did try to get help here for the colours! 

I'm not going to lie, this whole "What did France paint shiz with in the 40's" subject is in dire need of help. Hell, modern equipment looks like it needs a chapter or 2 too. 

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Evil_Toast_RSA said:

@jean I did try to get help here for the colours! 

I'm not going to lie, this whole "What did France paint shiz with in the 40's" subject is in dire need of help. Hell, modern equipment looks like it needs a chapter or 2 too. 

I'm just about to start the same kit, but with the added Citroen staff car (just added the new post in the GB folder - first GB ever...)

The paint color discussion is helpful here, but I'm not gonna sweat it given the apparent wide variation.

Love what you did with the rudder markings. Beautiful work.