Matchbox Car kits

JOCKNEY

Just a short note to invite anyone interested to join the forthcoming Matchbox 50th Anniversary Group Build here on BM, link below 

We are also including Matchbox boxed kits like AMT etc.

This is a chance to build one of your long term stash residents with lots of encouragement along the way. 

I hope you can join us.

Kind regards Pat

• Like 4

I don't think I've got any ex-Matchbox kits.  I definitely don't have any Matchbox-boxed kits.  I remember the SS100 Jaguar kit quite fondly, the Mercedes SSK less so.

• Like 1

Come on guys

I'm already in with the MG TC 

I bet loads of you have got something in the stash 😉

Let's get a good vehicle showing to counteract all the wingy things 😁

Ian

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Pete in Lincs said:

Please Sir, may I build this one? :poke:  Sorry, just a bit of Friday mischief!

7C7ID4E.jpg

Is that from their;

"Drive it like you stole it" range ?

• Haha 4

I'm already signed up Pat but looking at that scalemates list has reminded me that I have a few Matchbox/AMT 1/25 scale kits in the stashas well as some proper Matchbox 1/32 kits.

• Like 1

I’ve got a Porsche Speedster to build…though it’s a long way down the build-list as it’s a Matchbox repop of an ancient Revell retooling (1960?) to their mid-50s 356.  Unfortunately some point in the 60s the retool was retooled with wider wheels etc for go-faster (or slot-racing?) purposes, otherwise it looks quite like a Speedster!

Back in the day I remember building the 1/32 SS100, SSKL, Surtees and the 917, they were really nice kits, especially compared to the Airfix cars, which showed their age even in the mid-70s, except for the Bond Bug which I recall was a really crisp kit even if getting a decent orange paint job with Airfix enamel was beyond me - probably still is!

My girlfriend gave me her barely part-started as a girl MB Citroen and Aston Ulster.  We’ve been married nearly 23 years and I haven’t built them yet!

• Like 1

On 7/16/2021 at 8:31 PM, Pete in Lincs said:

Please Sir, may I build this one? :poke:  Sorry, just a bit of Friday mischief!

7C7ID4E.jpg

That’s way too prosaic a type for Matchbox kits - if they were to do a 2-door saloon car it would’ve been something like a full-house Group2 Brut33 Camaro (not the weedy-looking “replica” in current historic racing) 😎

• Like 1

6 hours ago, malpaso said:

That’s way too prosaic a type for Matchbox kits - if they were to do a 2-door saloon car it would’ve been something like a full-house Group2 Brut33 Camaro (not the weedy-looking “replica” in current historic racing) 😎

Is that the one Stuart Graham used to drive ?

39 minutes ago, rs2man said:

Is that the one Stuart Graham used to drive ?

Yes I think so.  The one on the current historic circuit looks like the one at the 74 TT at Silverstone but I went in 75 and it had been beefed up to nearly Group 2 with air dam, mahoosive wheels and tyres, flared arches and a bigger spoiler, the colour scheme was different too.  Absolutely outclassed everything else on the track visually and sonically.  Here's a pic of how I remember it!

The next year I went was the year of the XJ12Cs which were spectacular to watch too.  Along with all the batmobiles, capris,  RX3s with 50ft sheets of flame out the back each time they changed gear.  And Dollies,  Imps and Minis scurrying round whilst keeping out of the way of the big boys!  Even the best times of BTCC wasn't quite the same as the weird collection of cars in those 70s six-hour races.

And the massive headache, either from the noise, the fumes or possibly just cos keeping hydrated whilst walking round the track for six hours in the full sun hadn't been invented for 12 year olds (or anyone else) in 1975. 🤣

I've slightly taken us off track except I can assure you I was building MB car kits around the same time...

• Like 3

• 1 year later...

Over 30 years ago I decided to expand my collection of 1:32 vintage roadsters, which at that time was made up of a quartet of Airfixes (Bentley Blower, MG K-type, Bugatti T35 and Alfa Romeo 8C) with a similar quartet of then new products from Matchbox (Aston Ulster, Jaguar SS100, Bugatti T59 and Mercedes SSKL). I arbitrarily considered the MG TC a post-war car at the time (like the Frogeye Sprite or TR4) and by the time I understood its pre-war roots (TA, TB), the Matchbox kit had fetched prices in the region of $100 (€90 or £80).

And now I would like to share with you an interesting observation - recently these 1:32 Matchboxes have started ... cheaper. Both the SS100 and MG TC can be purchased today for €40 or £35. Were there any rumors of a possible revival by the current mold holder (Revell?). Because the prices of similar Airfixes have been falling even lower since several models (Jag 420, Bond Bug and VW Buggy) were reissued under their Vintage Classic label. What do you think about it?

Cheers

Michael

• Like 2