Heller 1/72 Potez 540 Charles de Gaulle +++ FINISHED +++

TonyOD

Zut alors! We're here already?

OK, here's my pick for this one. I'm going for maximum Frenchness. It could only be one kit manufacturer, really: the venerable Heller. This will be my third foray into the wonderful world of the Musée series. The first didn't turn out bad but the second ended in tears (although I feel I have unfinished business with that particular aircraft), so we'll see how this one goes.

spacer.png

The subject will be this rather handsome OOB scheme:

potez2.jpg

"Potez 540 no. 170, F-AOOJ, ministerial squadron, code A-OOJ (sic), acting as transport for General Charles de Gaulle, used for his travels though French possessions in Africa, 1941"

Well, you can't get much more French than that!

Progress will be, no doubt, ponderously slow, especially as I'm tinkering with a couple of other things. Looking forward to seeing other folks' builds.

Edited by TonyOD
  • Like 11

Though styrene will remain unsullied by steel for a few days yet, might as well get in early with the sprue shots. First impressions are good, really nicely moulded for a kit of this vintage (first issued 1967), the odd sink mark here and there than might need sorting. I know nothing about the type but I'm guessing we're looking at steel fuselage/fabric wings. There is a bit of raised panel line detail on the fuselage that will be easy to rescribe given how boxy it is. the scoops between the wing ribs appear exaggerated but it's beyond my skills (and patience) to correct them.

spacer.png

spacer.png

The transparencies are maybe a bit on the thick side but look clear enough:

spacer.png

Decals beautifully printed, as is always the case with the Musée kits, and are sure to be very easy to work with. The obstructions are the usual all-French facsimile of the original 1967 document, although I've printed the ones from the Smer reboxing off of Scalemates as they're a little easier to follow.

spacer.png

Patience, mes amis... patience!

Edited by TonyOD
  • Like 11

Hi,

a really great choice! It is an excellent model bar for some errors. I wish the decals had been that good when I was churning Heller Musee kits as a lightee.

The roundels were always so off center... well, no comment. You all know what I mean.

I will follow your build with great pleasure.

JR

• Thanks 1

Yet another flying bus shelter from the interwar period, good to see this both as a subject and as also because it's a Heller kit.

Good luck with this one Tony.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, JOCKNEY said:

I hope you didn't just choose this one on its good looks alone !

In hindsight I think some of the young ladies I consorted with in my freewheeling youth were  probably selected using the exact same criteria… 

• Haha 1

Hi Tony,

I have the remains of one of these sitting a couple of feet away fom me awaiting restoration, so it will be interesting to see you build this - might give me a few tips/reminders as some of the parts are missing. I seem to remember that as with the Amiot I spent a bit of time and effort giving it an interior as it was pretty bare inside.

Pete

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, PeterB said:

I seem to remember that as with the Amiot I spent a bit of time and effort giving it an interior as it was pretty bare inside.

The Amiot interior was completely empty, whereas at least here I've been given a cockpit floor, a couple of seats and some steering columns, possibly an instrument panel too. I don't think I'll be going crazy on it! There is nothing out there (as far as I can see) in the way of aftermarket details, just some canopy masks that I'm sure will be worth picking up. 

• Like 1

On 7/11/2021 at 9:58 AM, TonyOD said:

Progress will be, no doubt, ponderously slow, especially as I'm tinkering with a couple of other things. Looking forward to seeing other folks' builds.

Join me in Le club des escargots, Tony :) 

• Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...

So there's my "build" languishing near the bottom of page three... I hadn't been feeling the love for this kit to be honest, but then I hadn't been feeling the love for any kit. Just back from a really nice seaside camping trip with SWMBO and SWMBWALTAD (She Who Must Be Walked At Least Twice A Day), after a bit of a hiatus I'm raring to go again but need to sort myself a plan of attack on the six builds I have at various stages of completion... got plenty time to get the Potez airborne though...

• Like 6

I'm finally out of the traps with this one, not that there's much to show other than some painted bits of undercarriage.

Thanks to a bit of a SNAFU (the details of which I won't bore you with) I'm going to have to "double kit" my Potez. @PeterB if you do happen to revisit your Potez, I'll have duplicates of most of the kit parts which you'd be welcome to if you let me know what you need. Likewise I'll have decals for two of the three schemes from the Musee boxing left over (Heller's decals for these most recent Musee kits really are superb!)

The engine nacelles are coming together, they have to be built around the extremely fiddly landing gears (the two-part mudguards were a delight). Bit of cosmetic work to do before painting them up.

spacer.png

• Like 10

Hi Tony,

great to see this build underway - its certainly an aeroplane of interesting looks. But the subject you've chosen is a fascinating one, you've made a great start, and I'm certain you'll end up with an absolute cracker!

Courage, mon brave!

Cheers,

Mark

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, 2996 Victor said:

ts certainly an aeroplane of interesting looks

...an area of speciality in Heller's archive. See also the Bloch 210 and (especially) the Amiot 143!

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, TonyOD said:

...an area of speciality in Heller's archive. See also the Bloch 210 and (especially) the Amiot 143!

Yes, I've noticed that! The designers didn't seem all that bothered about aerodynamics, did they? :) 

26 minutes ago, 2996 Victor said:

Yes, I've noticed that! The designers didn't seem all that bothered about aerodynamics, did they? :) 

Eventually they got it right with the LeO 451, but some of those 30s bombers were rather “blocky” for sure!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TonyOD said:

Eventually they got it right with the LeO 451, but some of those 30s bombers were rather “blocky” for sure!

That's a great description - "blocky"! The Potez 631 has quite sleek lines as well - okay, its a heavy fighter, but the 63-11 reminds me of a marrow :D particularly in Vichy colours!

Cheers,

Mark

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, 2996 Victor said:

The Potez 631 has quite sleek lines as well

By the time of the 631, the Breguet 693 and the Bloch 174 the French had hit their stride, from what I've read by then they were turning out excellent aircraft but not enough were ever built to be useful in the defence against Nazi Germany.

• Like 1