Wartime decals for 1/72 Spitfire Mk XVIE

Madalo

I got hold of the old 1/72 Heller Spitfire Mk XVIE kit as part of an old lot I purchased. As I understand it some saw combat over Europe during the final days of the war so I’d like to build it as one of those. Can anyone direct me to some suitable aftermarket decals?

Wartime units were No. 127 (RCAF) Wing of 2 TAF (Nos. 403, 416, 421 and 443), while two Australian squadrons (Nos. 451 and 453) flew their operations from the British Isles under the authority of Fighter Command as well as 322 (Dutch) Sqn  - they returned their Mk.XVI's to the RAF despite having paid for the aircraft. 

Others include 145 Wing, with 340 Sqn / (GC) 4/2 “Ile de France”. and 131 Wing with Polish Sqns.

Options:

XtraDecal X72178  & X72182

Flevodecals FD72-006

Model Maker decals MMD-72066 (Polish squadrons)

The LifeLike sheet LD72-024 has two post-war XVIs, of which one is TD248 with it's red stripe. 

• Like 2

And it's the wrong subtype - Mk.XIV with Griffon instead of the Packard Merlin XVI

Would work if you have either a Fujimi or Sword Mk.XIV though.

• Like 1

If you're doing a wartime XVIe , remember to remove the heart shaped blisters from the wings as they're a post war mod. In addition, replace the kit wheels with resin 4 spoke ones as the kit ones are an odd mix of wartime size with postwar 3 spoke hubs.  

A few other things that'll improve the build: 

Replace the canopy as the windscreen is odd.

The cowling under the engine is a bit too deep, so sanding it to a more shallow angle helps.

The radiators are too deep, being closer to Griffon ones. Saw them off an re-attach - the saw cut removes enough plastic to fix them.

Tailwheel is way too thick, so a replacement would help.

Finally, the tail is too tall. Cut off and replace the rudder with  a resin one then trim the fin to suit.

TLDR: Basically, a new canopy and wheels. The rest is a matter of choice.

The shape is largely fine and it's been regarded as one of the best Spitfire kits since it came out in the mid 70s, although the decals have always been awful. Best getting one of the black box Heller ones or the photo top Humbrol release as more recent ones in black plastic have had warpage issues.

• Like 4

Thanks! That is helpful but I think I will only replace the wheels. Would the True Details four spoke wheels for the Mk XIV and later versions work?

Edited by Madalo

Maybe polish Spitfires with interesting boxer-dog art nose or/and squadron badges?

(Modelmaker decals D 72066)

21340_0.jpg

Regards,

Michał.

Edited by socjo1
  • Like 1

Decided to get the Sword kit too (Spitfire MK XVIe international services). It looks like a terrific kit and I will build it alongside the Heller kit. It will be fun to be able to compare the two with each other.

Edited by Madalo