1/72 Airfix RN Buccaneer S2C, 800 NAS

G'day all. It's been a while since a completion. It just so happens I reduced the stash by one this afternoon.

This is the lovely 1/72 Airfix S2C Buccaneer. It's a great kit to build with only two real gripes. I found that the inserts for the exhausts at the rear fuselage required some material removal as did a small amount at the nose to fuselage join. Other than that she's in the display cabinet safely. Kit decals used as XV336 while with 800 NAS on HMS Eagle in June 1971.

I opted for the folded wings and deployed airbrake not so much as a space saver, but because I think its an airframe that doesn't look too bad like this. Keen to hear you thoughts.

Cheers,

Mickspacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 60

That looks fantastic. I did the old-tool Airfix when I came back to modelling last year but this is in a different league. Different sport, if I'm honest. 

That’s rather gorgeous. I have this in the stash and have decided that the example you have done is the way to go - folded wings too.

Brilliant 👍

Trevor

14 hours ago, aerotechi said:

Lovely model Mick, I agree the bucc looks good folded. My S2C is also wings folded config but that was partly because in the same box I have the S2B.

Thanks Aerotechi. I'd love to do an S2B RAF jet in the wraparound green/grey. It'd definitely be wheels up and in flight 

14 hours ago, mick b said:

Blimey that’s gorgeous

Mike

👍

14 hours ago, TonyOD said:

That looks fantastic. I did the old-tool Airfix when I came back to modelling last year but this is in a different league. Different sport, if I'm honest. 

Different sport...that's hilarious! Thanks Tony.

13 hours ago, binbrook87 said:

What a corker that is! You've gotta love a navy 'Banana Jet'. You've done her proud.👍

Thanks Bin, she's got  nice curves.

13 hours ago, robgizlu said:

That's a lovely looking Buccaneer, flawless finish

Rob

👍

13 hours ago, Martin1962 said:

Fantastic. I have one ready to build and your has definitely inspired me

Do it!

13 hours ago, Max Headroom said:

That’s rather gorgeous. I have this in the stash and have decided that the example you have done is the way to go - folded wings too.

Brilliant 👍

Trevor

Thanks Trevor, it's a great space saver,

4 hours ago, junglierating said:

BZ to you only next time choose the premier squadron 801😆

Cheers Jungli, can't say I'm biased towards one squadron or another...is 801 RAAF? 😅😅🤣

4 hours ago, 72modeler said:

That's one beautiful Buc! As the others have said- beautiful finish. Nice to see someone who knows how to mask and paint canopy framework, too.

Mike

Thanks Mike. Eduard canopy masks certainly help. I think I've got a set for nearly every kit in my stash.

3 hours ago, dolphin38 said:

Absolute beauty, great work :thumbsup:

:thumbsup:👍👍👍👍👍👍

• Like 1

A very nice finish on your Buccaneer Mick. Nicely done.

I went on board HMS Eagle with my ex-RN Dad when she visited Sydney in 1971.

Brilliant job on the Bucc! I hate to use this cliche, but I really did have to check the title to remember that this was 1/72nd scale, not 1/48th scale.

Regards,

Jason

23 hours ago, SteveMc said:

A very nice finish on your Buccaneer Mick. Nicely done.

I went on board HMS Eagle with my ex-RN Dad when she visited Sydney in 1971.

Thanks Steve.

You probably saw these jets in this scheme?

23 hours ago, Learstang said:

Brilliant job on the Bucc! I hate to use this cliche, but I really did have to check the title to remember that this was 1/72nd scale, not 1/48th scale.

Regards,

Jason

Thank Jason. I can assure you it's 72nd scale! I need to pose my LEGO minifig next to it for reference...it's a good universal indicator of scale.

13 hours ago, F-32 said:

Lovely job

👍

12 hours ago, Tony G said:

What a work of art. You can almost hear and see it taxing down the flight deck to the catapult.

Your level of skill can only be marvelled at, well done

Thanks Tony, they're kind words.

5 hours ago, Booty003 said:

Very smart that one Mick.  I have one part built that is stalled for some reason, what paint did you use?

Phil

Thanks Phil. It's all in Gunze colours. H333 EDSG for the main colour followed by a thinned mix of H337 FS36375? for the bleached/weathered paint. Then I went back again with a 50:50 mix of these two where the H337 was a bit stark.

2 hours ago, RMCS said:

What a brick..fantastic work 

👍

• Like 2