Heller Sherman 1/72

Avereda

Bit drained after the football but life goes on, here’s the box contents…

Plastic

51306255240_f5487bc9ea_b.jpg

Decals

51304501712_bdb8b5c20c_b.jpg

One big sheet of instructions, only seven steps - loving it already

51305968074_bc15cebdfc_b.jpg

• Like 3

Allez. Day one, time to get cracking. Bit or work on the wheels and tidying up of the main hull. The plan is to try and blitz this to get it in the same state as my Less Than A Tenner entry then I can prime, paint and weather both tanks together. As always we’ll see how that works out. Note that the wheels are encased in magic marker, this stops them escaping from the bench overnight by magic.

51310487517_0a10ba4b2f_b.jpg

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, Avereda said:

Allez. Day one, time to get cracking. Bit or work on the wheels and tidying up of the main hull. The plan is to try and blitz this to get it in the same state as my Less Than A Tenner entry then I can prime, paint and weather both tanks together. As always we’ll see how that works out. Note that the wheels are encased in magic marker, this stops them escaping from the bench overnight by magic.

51310487517_0a10ba4b2f_b.jpg

Great start!

From past experience, I find that a pentagram works better to keep small parts from escaping by night.

PM me and I will send you the incantations that work well.

Did I take my pills today???

Have fun!

JR

• Haha 2

25 minutes ago, Avereda said:

Wikimedia Commons photo of the real thing at the Technik Museum Sinsheim

51311955784_07d1df5d48_c.jpg

Do you know what the device/housing is on the transmission cover ? Is it possibly a mount for a dozer blade ? Looks like a control cable run moving to the right on the tanks hull just below the bow mg. 

1 hour ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Do you know what the device/housing is on the transmission cover ? Is it possibly a mount for a dozer blade ? Looks like a control cable run moving to the right on the tanks hull just below the bow mg. 

Yes that's the mount for the M1 dozer blade.

bulldozerpic-from-TM9-719-10.png

Edited by Mig Eater
  • Thanks 1

@Corsairfoxfouruncle to be honest I don’t even know what the transmission cover is (or what the transmission is for that matter). @Mig Eater thanks for the pictures and the explanation.

State of play with the model below, there’ll be a short hiatus in the build now as  firstly, I have to crack on with my Less Than A Tenner offering and secondly, I’m back to full time work for the first time in three years at the start of August.

51326187708_37f3115838_b.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Avereda said:

@Corsairfoxfouruncle to be honest I don’t even know what the transmission cover is (or what the transmission is for that matter). @Mig Eater thanks for the pictures and the explanation.

State of play with the model below, there’ll be a short hiatus in the build now as  firstly, I have to crack on with my Less Than A Tenner offering and secondly, I’m back to full time work for the first time in three years at the start of August.

51326187708_37f3115838_b.jpg

Sorry for any confusion, ydrkIgR.jpg

The red circle ↗️ is around the transmission, in the Sherman it was a manual just like any automobile would use. 

• Like 1

If you really want to be confused, multiple types of transmission cover were used too 🙃 3 part bolted, cast sharp nose, cast round nose, cast round nose jumbo, EX100 Cross drive. several welded prototypes... 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 9/6/2021 at 12:24 PM, JOCKNEY said:

Hi @Avereda

How's the Sherman coming along, its been a while since we have heard from you .

Cheers Pat 

Should be back on it at the weekend. The tracks are on now, I’ve just got to decide what in the way of extras are going to be included - I’m not sure I’m up for scratching the tools on this one.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

There’s not been much movement on this one I’m afraid. I’m struggling to find much time for modelling at the moment. I had a bash earlier today and ended up knocking a bottle of CA over a decent pair of trousers and a jumper which led to some dark rumblings.

I manage to gather enough equilibrium to get this far though…

51542882706_b533e30aae_b.jpg

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

This one’s run out of gas I’m afraid. I started fiddling around with PE, resin and Milliput sandbags and it all sort of ground to halt. Back in the box to be revived another day.

51699068399_bebc1c1364_b.jpg

• Sad 2