ISU-152 - Pigment weathering

Hi people.

I just joined this community and I need some suggestions to finish my very first model.

It's an Zvezda 1:35 ISU-152, Tamyia fine primed, main coat Italeri green, gloss varnished, pinwashed with dark brown vallejo wash and then matte varnished, all airbrushed.

Tracks and the lower parts have been spattered with vallejo thick mud.

I also plan to add some of this mud on the track guards and the lower edges of the hull, and then finishing with some Vallejo splash mud on the lower parts using the toothpick method. This, I think I can do easily.

Here it is:

pigm.jpg

Now, I am quite happy with the final result, but I wanted to add a finishing touch by weathering those flat vertical panels, especially the decals which are way too clean.

I intend to use Vallejo pigments as I already have them and my idea was to add a very subtle and soft "dusting", maybe streaked, maybe not, preferably without any setting products as I don't plan to touch the model...maybe just a light matte varnish coat if it is even possible.

Now, I am complete newbie, this whole model has been a literal learning process full of mistakes and right know I am real anxious because I like the model so far but I am afraid of ruining it in this last step (sunk costs, literal costs included!😁)

So far I had help from several sources and many helpful people and I also want your opinion on this:

1) Many modelers told me that pigments will stick by themselves without any external help. I tried to find a video but I never saw anyone actually applying them dry and leaving them dry. So, is that a good idea?
The matte finish I applied was consistent, maybe it will fix by itself settling in the uneven matte surface?
Keep in mind that I do not intend to touch the model EVER, other than some delicate dust removal as it will not sit in under glass.

2 ) Suppose I make a mistake, I assume a moist rag will remove them, right?

3) About the technique, I was thinking of picking very little pigment with a small but enough wide brush and gently scrubbing it downward from the top of the panel, is that a good idea? Will a silicon brush help with this job?

4) I got the following pigments
https://www.amazon.it/Vallejo-pigmento-polvere-sporco-35ML/dp/B07193GYZQ/ref=sr_1_5?dchild=1&keywords=vallejo+pigments&link_code=qs&qid=1625683499&sourceid=Mozilla-search&sr=8-5
My tank has brown vallejo mud applied on the lower hull and I will also apply some Vallejo splash mud by toothpick. Both are brownish.
I suppose that the best pigment would be burnt umber, right?

Thank you and sorry if this went in the wrong section.

• Like 3

I'm a big fan of pigment weathering. Technically you don't need any fixative but it does have its uses. 

To apply a dusting my tip is to use a good quality soft brush. It sticks better and is more even then. You can wet the brush with a fixative a very little and apply the pigment like that to get a heavier, more textured effect. When I say wet I mean damp like you would dry brush paint. 

Unfortunately once it's on its on if you apply dry and not easy to remove even if wet. 

You can also use silicone brushes to do do more detail, sharper detail like bare metal edges. 

You can also mix dirt colours roughly to get a bit of variation or fully mix to get a specific colour.

To fix it you can spray either a fixative or varnish over the whole model at a distance and very low pressure. Bit like giving it a shower. Unfortunately you'll find you tend to blow some of the pigment off! 

Have fun 👍

Andrew 

I used Mr Hobby pigments for my last build. Just one of the colours from the set as it happens. I applied the powder with a crappy brush, scrubbing in places and then with a finer bristled, large bush, on flat surfaces. I then just blew the excess off with my airbrush. Once happy with the results I sprayed the entire model with Windsor and Newton flat clear varnish. Three thin costs at 20psi. I hope this helps.

PS, if you are not sure about a technique then the underside of the hull on tank kits is an excellent place to try a few unseen experiments over the finished colour

Edited by NIK122

One pigment that I use a lot on green surfaces is, Migs Allied Green Fading. It will subtly alter the shade of green. Other pigments that I also use are Carrs Weathering Powders. These were originally made for the model railway fraternity, but they are just as good on AFVs. They're slightly different to other pigments in that they have a slight oily texture which allows them to adhere to a surface better.

John.

And done.

I added some vallejo dried mud on the front and the back of the vehicle, and I have also matte varnished a green plastic flower pot to try pigments.

Will report back next weekend!

Edited by Nightgaunt
  • Like 2

Here's some testing done.

I didn't expect these having such covering power, as you can see the first section is cleary excessive: I think middle is fine, even if it could be a little more subtle. What do you think?

spacer.png

Looking good, mate. Planning anything more for the superstructure and the area immediately above the tracks at the sides?

P.S. Don't take too much notice of me. I tend to go a bit over the top with mud as per my Hasegawa Panther G .

Edited by echen

37 minutes ago, echen said:

Looking good, mate. Planning anything more for the superstructure and the area immediately above the tracks at the sides?

P.S. Don't take too much notice of me. I tend to go a bit over the top with mud as per my Hasegawa Panther G .

No, but I think it could use some pigment on the mantlet and maybe on the fuel tanks.

I was also thinking about the barrel but maybe the gun shooting would have dislodged the dust....what do you think?

Maybe the muzzle brake would be a bit sooty? Also the weather might streak the paintwork a bit - but that might depend how long it had been out of the factory.

Hi Nightgaunt,

Everything that colleagues have commented before is very valid.
It will depend a lot on what you want to achieve, and the ability we have to do it.
Curiously, I myself, after the hobby, was the first "new" kit I bought, as I had an old stash of oldies ...
With him I experienced everything that occurred to me about new techniques and materials, since I had not played the hobby for about 25 years, and there were many changes in all its aspects ...
As it is the same kit, I leave you a link to mine published in the forum in case it is useful, one to the RTI, which includes another to the WIP. First finished with the OOB tracks, and then with some metallic Friuls
If you want to ask something, go ahead (although it may take some time to answer ... sorry)
Cheers and TC
Francis.👍

Edited by FrancisGL
  • Like 1

That's one hell of a model, Francis, espcially the leaves, the snow and the rust.

Anyway, here's how I retouched the top, pigment should look more brownish but the cam sensor seem to enhance its redenss. In general, the whole color is totally messed up in the picture, probably bad lighting too.

spacer.png

• Like 1