Markings for Airfix Spitfire Mk1a 1/72 kit

NORTHDUK

Here it is, so hopefully it makes a wee bit more sense. The Wingleader book also has some good pics of the port side of the aircraft as well but the colour plate is an accurate representation of them so hopefully this is all that you need. In the book the background is more pale blue but the scan has rendered it more of a light grey colour although it could be either colour as there is no definitive information other than that it is very unlikely to be yellow.

I know this is potentially a breach of copyright but as you were not intending to buy the book hopefully it will not cause an issue, but if the powers that be believe it does I may have to delete.

Regards

Colin.

spacer.png

• Thanks 1

Fishplanebeer,

Colin,

Thanks for the scan of the 234Sn symbol.  Now that I see it, it makes sense.  It was good of you to go to so much trouble.

I don't think anyone will object on copyright grounds but it was my original query that prompted your reply so, if the Britmodeller mods kick up about it, tell them that the blame is mine.

Thanks again for your help.

Best wishes,

Gordon

• Thanks 1

close pic of the the pilots door marking

50391296361_c65d72e28a_b.jpg234 Squadron 09 by Сергей Кривицкий, on Flickr

50391296436_6925793f1d_b.jpg234 Squadron 08 by Сергей Кривицкий, on Flickr

damage

I presume there are more images, the Germans loved taking photos, and a lot of these have become public in the last 15 odd years as photo albums get auctioned off.

The Wingleader photo albums are really good reference books, well worth getting.

• Like 1

On 7/14/2021 at 12:21 AM, NORTHDUK said:

I'm a little puzzled by the reference to "the Humbrol lottery".  I haven't bought any Humbrol paint since before lockdown.  Has it taken a turn for the worse since then? 

Quality of Humbrol paint went down the drain long before COVID. 

I passed through that period without needing to buy any because of having a large stock.  Ones I've bought in recent years (not many) have been back to their previous standard.  I'd have thought that there's be no problem nowadays, but of course it may be that some shops shift stock rather more slowly than others, and it will depend on the popularity of the colour.  However I would not recommend Humbrol paint for anything other than basic rainbow colours - for anything specific I use Colourcoats by choice, with Xtradecal and Precision Paints until stocks run down.  Humbrol however does make a good choice for a first, or undercoat, as the more accurate colour don't tend to be quite so opaque.  Possibly I just don't stir them enough.

Hook and Graham Boak,

Thanks for your replies to my question about Humbrol paint.  I normally use Xtracolor enamels for specific colours but had had difficulty in getting any during lockdown without having to pay the Earth for them in postage, hence my asking about a Humbrol colour suitable for RAF Dark Green.  By coincidence, I have been painting today using Humbrol matt Trainer Yellow, gloss White and matt Dark Earth.  The white and yellow behaved very well but the Dark Earth, from a new unopened tin bought just before lockdown, seemed to be a bit odd.  It seemed thick, it dried very quickly and didn't inspire confidence.  All three were thoroughly stirred for 3 - 5 minutes before use.  I'll let you know how they performed after I've seen them in daylight tomorrow.      

Best wishes,

Gordon

Gordon,

I can strongly agree with Graham's choice of Colourcoats as they are quite the best enamels I've come across (Xtracolor isn't bad either) and they are my go to paints unless they are out of stock in which case I go the Xtracolor route. To me their paints are bang on in terms of accuracy and they spray really well too.

Regards

Colin

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NORTHDUK said:

hence my asking about a Humbrol colour suitable for RAF Dark Green.

not Humbrol 30!

H 116 and the semi gloss H163 are suggested.

1 hour ago, fishplanebeer said:

I can strongly agree with Graham's choice of Colourcoats as they are quite the best enamels I've come across (Xtracolor isn't bad either) and they are my go to paints unless they are out of stock in which case I go the Xtracolor route. To me their paints are bang on in terms of accuracy and they spray really well too.

Also, the owner, @Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies is a regular poster here, and  they are noted for their commitment to research and accuracy. 

In the case of Royal Navy ship colours this involved making up samples from the original formulas.  And I don't see any other paint company posting here either. 

The only reason I don't have them is I'm just not a fan of enamel paint,  or more precisely,  the solvents and clean up,  the effect from the paint is great.  Though given the bother I had with trying to find decent matches in acrylic to basic RAF colours  the accuracy aspect is making them look rather appealing. 

cheers

T

• Like 2

On 23/07/2021 at 09:36, Graham Boak said:

If you do, be sure to get their thinners too.  Being naphtha based  the smell is greatly reduced, and can be used with other enamel paints too.

Seconded. I'd had mixed success brush painting them over the years, better luck airbrushing, but experienced very long times before completely curing (touch dry quickly, but damageable/liftable with a second coat for a couple of weeks. using standard white spirit as thinner. The latter never really cleaned the brushes either. But I liked the colours so persevered. Then in a rush of blood to the head I bought a bottle of their thinner, and everything is better, including no longer toasting brushes.

Paul.

Edited by Paul Thompson
After more than a year .................... spelling.
  • Like 2

On 7/13/2021 at 11:21 PM, NORTHDUK said:

Aeroclub vacform fuselage to produce a Seafire XVII

And if one may make so bold,a brutally accurate fuselage from Aeroclub,as,if one remembers correctly,are all their Spitfire

fuselage conversions.

It could also be used in conjunction with an Airfix Vb wing suitably rescribed too one would imagine.

In the above picture,one trusts that that are the exit holes of the rounds?

Dave.

Edited by DaveWilko

On 7/20/2021 at 9:27 AM, Troy Smith said:

I presume there are more images, the Germans loved taking photos, and a lot of these have become public in the last 15 odd years as photo albums get auctioned off.

The (then) leading two German model mags went head to head over AZ-H when the Airfix kit was first released, with Modell Fan having pics and a drawing showing the unfinished markings, while modell magazin had some showing it completed, with an exchange of niceties 😉 Not sure whether either had any not already shown here. 

• Thanks 1

Hook and Graham Boak,

As I said in my posting about a painting session yesterday, I've had a look at the results in daylight today.  The Humbrol gloss White and matt Trainer Yellow turned out well.  Both had dried well and given fair coverage (ie opacity).  The matt Dark Earth was another matter.  It felt odd when I applied it and it has dried badly.  It is matt enought but it shows up brush strokes as translucent streaks and has clearly not dried properly so that I don't think it would take another coat.  Unfortunately, I applied it to the Spitfire 1a kit that the thread title refers to.  This is now going to be delayed until I can get some Xtracolor Dark Earth which, I hope, will dry satisfactorily on it.  I applied some old Humbrol gloss Mid Brunswick Green to a Toko Siemens Schuckert D.IV this afternoon.  It went on well and seems to be drying nicely.  

The delay to the Spitfire 1a will result in a new appeal for help with an old KP kit of a Spitfire LF IXe as used by 165 Sn RAF in Norway or later.

Best wishes,

Gordon McLaughlin

Edited by NORTHDUK
To correct the squadron number from 135 to 165.
  • Like 1

• 1 year later...
On 7/11/2021 at 2:16 AM, NORTHDUK said:

I am near to completing the Airfix Spitfire Mk1a in 1/72, A01071A, and will shortly need to start applying the decals.  I don't like the markings supplied, DW-K, and was wondering if the markings from the previous kit, AZ-H N3277, would be suitable for this one.   If not, has anyone any suggestions for decals from other sources that wouldn't involve wastefully buying a large sheet of decals just to use one of the options?  A typical, anonymous squadron machine would be ideal.

A look at my paint stock shows that a number of colours have dried up and need to be replaced.  What Humbrol enamel would anyone now recommend for RAF Dark Green suitable for WW2?

Best wishes,

Gordon McLaughlin

Hi Gordon @NORTHDUK - this is likely a very long shot but did you retain the DW-K decals for your Spitty?  I have the current Airfix 1:72 kit and would like to present it in these markings - they are hard to source on the open market.  

To complicate matters I live in Australia.  Can you let me know?  DM me if you prefer.

Thanks

Alistair