Revell Beetle VW 1500 in 1/24 scale

Some time ago I decided to build Revell's VW 1500 in 1/24 scale. The nostalgic Beetle (the Finnish nickname is " the Bubble") is for me one of the most important cars I have experienced. It was the first car my dad owned, a light green 1959 Beetle in which we used to travel across Finland and the Nordic countries. At the age of eighteen I did my driving school and passed the driving exam in a Beetle. For many years thereafter I used to borrow the new Beetle of my dad.

The Revell kit was of very good quality and easy to build. It contained a lot of details, the fit was excellent, the decals were good and all in all the kit was a pleasure to build. I chose to paint the bodywork of the car with Tamiya light blue spray, TS-23. In my opinion that colour suited the Beetle very well and looked quite authentic to my eyes. For the smaller details and the parts inside I used Humbrol enamels and Vallejo acrylics.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 19

1 hour ago, Pete in Lincs said:

I like that! Good paint and i like how you've done the window rubbers. They are often forgotten. 

Thank you!

Einar

3 minutes ago, JeroenS said:

Great paint job! I like the subdued look of the hubcaps. What paint is that?

Hi Jeroen,

Thank you! I airbrushed the hubcaps with Alclad white aluminium-

Einar

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bigbadbadge said:

Oh yes, a wonderful model of a wonderful car and great memories.  

Great work.    I am an air-cooled VW  fan too and loved my first Beetle, well loved all of them  really.

Chris

Thank you Chris!

Einar

• Like 1

2 hours ago, keefr22 said:

That's a lovely little Bug, really nice paintjob in a colour that does indeed suit it!

Top work!

Keith

Thank you!

Einar 

7 hours ago, Natter said:

That's a really nice model. Lots of little details that make it look 'just right'.

Thanks Dave

Einar

Excellent model! :clap2:

And it brings back many memories. A light green (aqua?) 1500 served me well in high school and university and beyond. Cheap to operate and easy to repair--what could be better? Winters were hard though. Had to scrape the inside of the windshield when it was very cold! 

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, dnl42 said:

Excellent model! :clap2:

And it brings back many memories. A light green (aqua?) 1500 served me well in high school and university and beyond. Cheap to operate and easy to repair--what could be better? Winters were hard though. Had to scrape the inside of the windshield when it was very cold! 

Thank you!..and thanks for sharing the nice memories

Einar

• Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, Kitkent said:

Lovely! Looking very realistic,I like the colour very much too. Chris.

Thanks Chris

Einar