Ford Mustang Mach 1 1971 (Diamonds are Forever) and another Shelby GT350 H

johnlambert

This feels like significant progress.

y4masuvFG2P4aPcIFUuaLVVdYjZm0SArBKX3WWjG

Lights on the front end, the orange lights were painted with Tamiya clear orange, then Molotow chrome.  The radiator, horns and battery were added to the chassis.

y4mCHfQG-ulC4iA4NCp38y40UtnjiGVQJJakfuwB

Bringing everything together.  The glazing was fixed by UV-setting resin.

y4m6TpwLloPiZwtj3o7BIXF0XNeTh4adjbQg_mAb

Grille surround added.  It's hard to show the little lights that go below the front bumper, these weren't as fiddly to fit as I thought they might be.  I need to take a photo of the rear with the tail lamps and bumper fitted.

Pretty much just the door mirrors and decals to add.

• Like 7

Looks like significant progress too.

You seem to do the indicators the opposite way to me - I'd have done Molotow Chrome first then the clear orange, but the end result appears to work well here as you've done it.

• Thanks 1

It looks like you're well on course for completion OK on this one John :)

I'm seeing a few references to 'UV-setting resin' cropping up on the Forum, but it's something that must have passed me by.  Do you have any recommendations for supplier please?  Likewise, do you need a UV lamp?  It sounds like something I should be exploring!

Lastly, is it just me or is one of your headlamp lenses twisted through 90o

Cheers

14 hours ago, CliffB said:

I'm seeing a few references to 'UV-setting resin' cropping up on the Forum, but it's something that must have passed me by.  Do you have any recommendations for supplier please?  Likewise, do you need a UV lamp?  It sounds like something I should be exploring!

I just got mine off Amazon, there's a selection here. Make sure you get the 'crystal clear' stuff though.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=crystal+clear+uv+resin&crid=3QDPAZFVI8EAK&ref=nb_sb_ss_ts-doa-p_1_15

I tend to put a drop in an old camera film contained as that's quite lightproof, but it can still start to set if left too long. Then just use a cocktail stick to apply just like you would Clearfix. I just use a cheap UV torch to cure it - it's not going to be set hard in the 2 minutes or so that they claim, but should be ok to hold in place on a temporary basis before then. Once it's holding, I tend to leave for 10-15 minutes with the torch shining on it and that usually does the job. You can also use sunlight to cure it, but it will take longer, particularly if behind glass.

The biggest benefit of the stuff is that you choose when it dries - get it in the wrong place and you can wipe off and start again provided you're quick and no working in direct sunlight. Once in position, put the torch on it and it should soon be ok to let go.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the encouraging comments.

y4mDeTLj5diRlsFKeAiUayQzg0Hr6maEL6X5yHTT

Starting to get the decals on.  These might actually be the best part of the kit, so far no issues even with the long trim strip for the sills.  The decal sheet even has a couple of spare bits of the trim strips, which is a very thoughtful touch.

15 hours ago, CliffB said:

Lastly, is it just me or is one of your headlamp lenses twisted through 90o

Yes, Cliff, I've just noticed that it is!

13 hours ago, TonyW said:

That front 3/4 view looks like a magazine advert shot. The car looks like it's about to leap off your bench!

Thanks, yeah the car seems to have a permanent tail down stance even though the rear suspension is at the highest setting.

• Like 5

Pretty much all the decals are done now.

y4mRimstG_1IXO_QGDD6_4KFEu9rf7SJLcCB86dZ

I'm not sure the fuel filler is the correct pattern, but it'll do.

y4mdiRU2PazsvqpHKNmAcZTn3V-ESmO8vutfQ6kv

Mirrors have some hefty ejector pin marks on the lens which look like there should be a plated part to make the actual mirror, but I couldn't see any reference to such a part.  I ended up drilling into the ejector pin hole to provide a support when painting the mirror housungs.

y4mXhWhyt34uDxsBZ6zMqYErkmVRDDzd4ItjYsyA

Mirror lenses were made from thin plasticard coated in Bare Metal Foil.

Just need to attach the mirrors and license plates and I think this one will be complete.

• Like 9

I had a minor panic this morning, because I thought today was 25th October and I'd missed the deadline.  Over the last few days I've added the rest of the decals and a bit of a wash on the door and boot panel lines.  So I've hastily added some photos to the gallery thread, because I don't want to miss the actual deadline.

y4m0iwBNgsOXuc75Jh-7rHmYu6wgUKzrFC2NkRNI

• Like 7

That's one sleek looking Mustang.

There's so much to like with it, the way the sill trim flows with the whitebands on the tires, the dark sill paintwork blending in with the ground, the so smooth flow of the whole design, all topped off with the poke your eyes out red paintwork. Lovely stuff.

• Thanks 1