Ford Mustang Mach 1 1971 (Diamonds are Forever) and another Shelby GT350 H

johnlambert

I haven't forgotten about the group build, but real life sometimes gets in the way of important stuff like modelling.

y4mdqzgYr5NI7DUeUQSKsgFpGe6wcGPFn2f7qmmY

I wanted to get the black paint on the lower body, which meant masking up.

y4mEkKk1F_KHFJ7STl56ixS0p1mQH5xnAic6M3Ks

A quick mock-up after de-masking.

y4mjUZdIiXIP9OMj3lLAv5lrs7LWJePI_KdFRCla

Dashboard with a little detailing and dials.  There aren't any decals for the centre cluster of gauges.

y4mj-1r9hiCwE6aGLq18W54UV0omr4e4oPyHaYTh

Bonnet (or hood) given a bit of a rub down, which has burnt through on the edges.

The body probably needs a bit of a polish, there are also decals to apply for the silver line that separates the red and black parts of the body.

• Like 10

Must admit that the sanding back of the body is what's making me most nervous on mine too - at least you have a good chance of recoving that bonnet as it looks as though it should give you a good base.

• Thanks 1

The other thing I forgot to mention about the bonnet is the sprue gate, which looks like a really poor design choice, as does the attachment for the door mirrors.

A bit more on the 1971 Mustang.

y4mJQ0zlgr2IgQgoNmaE3eoV6FMdlTqx45MlFgwd

Mocking up the interior.  I'm glad I checked the instructions and reference photos because I nearly thought that the centre console was red vinyl when it should be black.

y4mN3Fx0mDiSN8Cuyj_cyG58yELAY6VufCKfNqy-

Seats, I was going to use the supplied moulded plastic belts but one snapped and pinged across the room and into a parallel dimension.  So I used some thin ribbon and the kit buckles.

y4mJJqaxNnRctw-Xfafx_e-9fEYP-GYHjii7lQXK

The revised interior, still a bit of touching up to do and a few little details.

• Like 11

4 hours ago, 81-er said:

I wonder if the designers for Deadpool saw the interior of that and got some ideas?

James

It reminds me of Michael Jackson's outfit in Thriller.

• Like 2

That interior looks good John. If you threw a set of floor mats in there it'd be an easy fix to get rid of those ejector pin marks in the four corners of that floor board. Dont know why the manufacturers insist on letting those wind up on the floor but it can be easily taken care of. Looking forward to more buddy.

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

A variety of factors have slowed my modelling progress but I've tried to press on with the '71 Mustang.

y4mXtNfY7-cmRmy0tXgQjQvuy0VuTu8rBCcbsIk5

Just a mock-up, but the wheels are now glued on.  I've also decided to open up the vents in the bonnet (or should I say hood?).

y4ma2oqhblLP1EJWwJ5riyqv6QqUeRk49QKxF6Qe

Underside shot, the exhausts are painted Valejo steel, it's a bit of a shame that the inner wings leave such a big gap with the inside of the bonnet.

y4mHZI2hUR22eBQTJDDZm3KXTzX1zeirsYJngWNx

Bit of a view of the interior.  I've not bothered trying to fix the ejector pin marks on the floor as they simply aren't visible.  Nor have I bothered detailing the pedals for the same reason.  Lots to do with the body still, another coat of paint on the roof at least, plus all the details.

I've also had to strip and repaint the engine as the original paint was rubbing off (Revell Aqua Colour doesn't seem to give a particularly robust finish.  Photos of that to follow.

• Like 7

I hope these engine photos are worth the wait.

y4m1j0XfNc8yc10OniO3SX2Pmn1f8qzMrOnwA58C

Engine and transmission basic repaint.

y4m7LFTmCPDqxhe3mqNT_afNV6jUkkHPRuNwq8h5

Various engine bits.  The exhausts (as with so much on this kit) were a pain to fit.

y4mx4bxgHqMWTOgAmHNvawSGrxx2sVh9OwlwExBS

Coming together, I didn't bother painting the carburettor as it is completely hidden.

y4mOqskxHoDmXlkXmuVwIpBOVkc4gy6lhESY4t2Z

I stripped the chrome from the alternator and repainted it aluminium (aluminum, perhaps?) and added the air cleaner decal.

y4mgLkfE0Y1CyctoTFAQVIh6_uuKCjrKsnPOVa2E

It's real fun and games getting the exhausts to line up and there is no positive location for the engine.  I ended up having to remove and re-glue the manifolds and do some trimming which needs repainting (as you can see).

y4mij3BU_8FUjOCkE0kU3KZUtTWjiN0_DLpGiYIv

From above, I thin the engine might be a bit wonky.

y4mapKUv-GvHeeYjxYzW24qFBwlPPdMad34HJKwo

More paint on the body and bonnet.  Not shown is the burn through where I tried to polish it up, so I'm going to have to respray again.

• Like 9

So, where are we?

y4m9avVT6vv54RNhIQ97zvlK8_1uXfBbSef9Qqg7

You can see the burn through on the rear wing crease.

y4muWU-JLyczLG0Ze8wvY_1y2D1LpbOJpjEWzG0_

Some of the paint on the side is a bit thin too.

y4mBenKfVt_YMjfLMbHARlh_aGRfllMMpAUbKvzY

This side might be a bit worse on the door.

y4m25Ye82gRxlWE7naAqf9NZ1d1uAZLmGDcC4Waz

The creases and panel lines make it hard to do patch repairs, hopefully it will blend in OK. I've given things more of a rub down to get a smooth surface.

y4mjLcFxPCAwcIi8rzXvgN0e-DwnPHTBoqQsAzSK

Some of the tape has been folded over to try and give a softer edge (a trick I picked up from seeing a car restoration program on TV).

I've given it a spray and it is now sitting under a cover waiting for the paint to dry.

• Like 5

The Shelby has been dug out as well, this one I don't think will make the deadline but I've not forgotten about it.

y4mtvCcyCJuF5nUWO-AMo3OB2Hm6_urGp5RkfbGj

The bonnet fit wasn't great, there are a couple of injector pin points with flash just where the hinges go, which initially meant the bonnet wouldn't close.

y4mGrPXRTp-HII5k4O0H-pWaPYzwj4jon-jYosiy

More sanding and fettling.

y4m26lTeMt_KPK36e6E-Bo5_sM0nFoD18yaXF0JA

I guess that'll do.

• Like 5

Well, here we go.

y4mNkHUWn4aK-5NaNUqFXubwtOSFEzQAFlGz6YyR

It's not perfect, but it'll do.

As for the Shelby...

y4mNw9lA5OpXopggU-riLjqYAEMOymIuooALYM5N

I discovered a valuable lesson, don't push the fan fully in to the hole in the pulley, because the same hole engages with the spigot on the water pump.

y4mK8NaQhf_E8GUT3cgFrrwnF8xHD17Y4QagFhp-

It's all coming together.

y4mfv1CWTxT0fc8FE3S5ntTqyqE-6QZuJfDlA09Y

A pointless detail, but I wasn't happy with the air filter, so I stripped the chrome and added a circle of styrene sheet to represent the lower half of the air filter housing.

y4mV1yyMN_QvGjnycUdLbUS1Jiajd8DxtFM4x7wY

Interior tub coming together.  Seats and dashboard are in the specified 50:50 mix of black and grey satin Revell paint.  It's not the most durable paint but it seems to go on nicely.

y4mKTgvKZTIgdA15sIh1Q9MEKx6Tb-eQIcVCkwUw

Underside parts.

y4mqXS8qdR1wthXvGFFQu25hckxD_AqAst2O_ZBl

Mock-up of the chassis.  I think getting the exhaust and drive shaft to line up might be interesting.

y4mAJ-kx5mwFxBz2KoGwzmk3F1H_6sKsUzX8ct2i

And we have paint on the body, but there's a lot of work to do in that area.

• Like 7

22 hours ago, johnlambert said:

y4mqXS8qdR1wthXvGFFQu25hckxD_AqAst2O_ZBl

Mock-up of the chassis.  I think getting the exhaust and drive shaft to line up might be interesting.

I have no memory of any issues with lining these up, which strongly suggests it went smoothly (or was so traumatic I've blanked it from my memory!). Best bet is to get the exhaust set in place, then the driveshaft should thread though surprisingly easily then it's just a case of getting all the pegs at the front of that part settled into place. Good luck.

• Thanks 1

These cars are looking great so far John. I'd like to offer a friendly tip to you if you'd like to use it. On that 66 chassis you can take a silver lead pencil and drag the side of the pencil lead along some of the raised details for a subtle effect. It'll give it another level of depth to the already good job that's been done.

• Thanks 1

Moving along with the Diamonds are Forever car.

y4m-EKEeW9ALRmzpWAIR1dKaoYbth9jqFfOzxgCm

Bringing the shell to life with a bit of chrome trim done with Bare Metal Foil.

y4mLdjUY4-UG4-pWcN_HoC8vpmJdTYk3bRCgIu7b

Interior, I've added the "T" handle for the transmission selector.  As supplied it's a manual gear lever even though there are only two pedals.  Technically the base isn't correct but it will do.

y4m2qQ8oIOv7olJsmHTI5nz2JdSxaX4PRQEapxcv

Glazing added; held in with clear UV-setting resin.

y4m3RFgXxxxuMcD685GQ_p2HZ89whTWhlsOh2HU6

More UV resin to hold the headlamps in, the bezels were painted with silver marker (the instructions suggested white, but I think this is better).  More BMF for the Mustang badge.

Are we going to make the deadline? 

• Like 7