British Airways Boeing 747-400, Revell 1:144 - Negus

Three down, one to go.

I managed to salvage the damaged tail of this build fairly successfully, though the red tail hides the repair work nicely.

Again, no real issues with this build, but I had to peel off one of the coroguard decal because it wrinkled badly overnight.  When I tried to lift the decal with Micro Set, a few areas were really well and truly stuck to the wing, and it tore.

One thing that I noticed was that the position of the British airways titles don't align correctly - if I align them with the upper windows, they don't align correctly with the doors, but this is a reflection of the kit's accuracy rather than the decals that I used.

In the end, I aligned them with the doors.

I had one more coroguard decal set (for the upcoming G-BYGC), so I was able to use one of of the upper wing coroguard decals as a replacement, but it means I'll have to buy another set for -GC, or see if I can paint the coroguard on the tops of the wings.  Then I can use the remaining coroguard decals for the underside of the wings, which has cutouts for the flap track pylons.

This is G-CIVB in the Negus livery from 26 Decals:

IMG_4612

IMG_4613

IMG_4614

IMG_4615

IMG_4616

IMG_4617

IMG_4618

Edited by neilg
  • Like 34
  • Thanks 1

Another cracker Neil!

Shame about the decal.  I’ve had both success and failure removing decals.  Seems to be down to the decal itself as I can remove the Revell ones with ease but the ones I got for my A321neo Neo I had to live with the mistake as they wouldn’t budge.

You saved it though.  

• Like 1

18 hours ago, BluesModeller said:

Another cracker Neil!

Shame about the decal.  I’ve had both success and failure removing decals.  Seems to be down to the decal itself as I can remove the Revell ones with ease but the ones I got for my A321neo Neo I had to live with the mistake as they wouldn’t budge.

You saved it though.  

To be honest, I was surprised it lifted at all, especially as I let it set overnight - but the blue Micro Set said it can be used as a decal remover, so I thought I'd give it a go.

The corogard decals are extremely thin, but they took more abuse than I thought they would - it was just the couple of patches where they wouldn't lift that caused it to tear.

7 hours ago, Alex1978 said:

Superb 747.

Another stunner in your collection.

They're looking good together, and it's really interesting to see the evolution of the liveries!

Hi Neil,

Very nice finish.

However, a little detail found on other models :
The compound shape of the leading edge fairing must not be painted silver (what ever the airline).

Be careful on the following ones.

https://www.flightglobal.com/strategy/pictures-british-airways-reveals-landor-747-400-retrojet/131765.article

https://www.airplane-pictures.net/photo/107138/g-bnli-british-airways-boeing-747-400/

http://airplanes.itsabouttravelling.com/g-civd-british-airways-boeing-747/#747

Edited by AV O

8 hours ago, AV O said:

Hi Neil,

Very nice finish.

However, a little detail found on other models :
The compound shape of the leading edge fairing must not be painted silver (what ever the airline).

Be careful on the following ones.

https://www.flightglobal.com/strategy/pictures-british-airways-reveals-landor-747-400-retrojet/131765.article

https://www.airplane-pictures.net/photo/107138/g-bnli-british-airways-boeing-747-400/

http://airplanes.itsabouttravelling.com/g-civd-british-airways-boeing-747/#747

Very observant!  I didn't notice that.

Edited by neilg

Really nice, Neil. I love the BA liveries...they just make a beautiful bird seem classic and more beautiful. You're a real master with the Revell builds...the 747s are tricky and challenging. You've done a great job with yours...and...they look great in formation! What blues did you use on the lower fuselages on the Landor and the Negus liveries? Thanks for sharing!

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Challenger350Pilot said:

Really nice, Neil. I love the BA liveries...they just make a beautiful bird seem classic and more beautiful. You're a real master with the Revell builds...the 747s are tricky and challenging. You've done a great job with yours...and...they look great in formation! What blues did you use on the lower fuselages on the Landor and the Negus liveries? Thanks for sharing!

I used Humbrol 15 midnight blue spray for the lower fuselage for both the Landor and Negus liveries.

It seemed the closest match to the blue part of the tail decals.  Some photos of -VB show the blue as quite bright, but I went by the tail decal.

For the Chatham 747, I used a spray from a chain of motoring stores in the UK called Halfords.  They have a car spray paint called Fiat Capri blue, which is a good match for the newer British Airways blue.

16 hours ago, Back in the Saddle said:

Cracking job Neil, how do you do that so quickly?!

We've been lucky with the weather, so I've been able to use the spray paints outside!

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Neil wharfe said:

Hi Neil.

Stunning builds! 
did you do any ‘surgery’ on the wing root?

I’ve read that they’re not right on the revell kit.

cheers

Thanks, I didn't do any surgery on the wings.

They might be inaccurate at the root - as someone else pointed out, the wing root is not silver coloured, as they are on my build, but I painted up to where the root joins the fuselage.

If I had painted up to the point where the wing root starts to flare out, it would have looked strange with some of the wing root being blue - so I guess this is where the inaccuracy is.  On the kit, the wing root starts to flare out just inboard of the landing lights, which I don't think it should.

In any case, the wings of all of the models are painted the same, and I plan to do the same for the BOAC build too.

• 4 months later...
22 hours ago, Ad-4N said:

Fantastic job. What paint did you use for the red or did you use the decal?  

Thanks, it came out nice and clean!

The decals had a red section for the tail - saved me a job!

• 5 months later...

How could I miss this fantastic work?! Me, that I'm a massive fan of the Negus Livery!! What an amazing work Neil!!! You nailed it! I think the Humbrol dark blue that you've picked up was a great choice, and the way you managed to do the curves in the belly is from a master level! Also, thumbs up for the stand and the way you hang the 747 in the ceiling! I'm thinking about doing this livery in a 757 but that will be a future project, still have a loooots of kits to finish! :D 

8 hours ago, Diogo Monteiro said:

How could I miss this fantastic work?! Me, that I'm a massive fan of the Negus Livery!! What an amazing work Neil!!! You nailed it! I think the Humbrol dark blue that you've picked up was a great choice, and the way you managed to do the curves in the belly is from a master level! Also, thumbs up for the stand and the way you hang the 747 in the ceiling! I'm thinking about doing this livery in a 757 but that will be a future project, still have a loooots of kits to finish! :D 

Thank very much!

I used to really dislike painting around curves - I dreaded peeling back the masking tape to find the paint bled underneath it.  Then, I'd have to touch up the paint by hand and the result was always unsatisfactory.

That was the case until recently, where I read on this forum that people use Tamiya curved masking tape.

I found it in my local hobby store, so I was pleased to find it, and I have discovered it gives great results.

I still have loooots of kits to finish too, but I also have the ceiling upstairs that I can use 😄