Revell/Monogram '99 Mustang SVT Cobra 1/25

dbostream

Not my favorite Mustang but figured I will never build it unless I do it now for this GB.

spacer.png

Considering what I payed for this I expected a very simple kit but it looks quite detailed and the parts look nice to me not much flash.

spacer.png

spacer.png

The plan is to paint it light blue with black rims.

In order to have a reasonable chance of completing this before the dead line I will not do any customizations.

Edited by dbostream
  • Like 10

Day two and I have already discovered something that has me worried. The chassis and interior tub are not straight. I hope it improves when I glue them together but I am worried this car will be a three wheeler.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Sad 4

The engine is almost completed. I will attach the top part later when I know the hoses line up properly. Because as with many parts of this engine there are no guide holes so it would be easy to glue it on in the wrong position and then the hoses won't fit properly. The instructions are not very clear I wouldn't be surprised if at least one of the a/c unit, alternator or starter etc. is glued upside down.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

I don't know what I am doing wrong when I spray paint but almost every time I mask some paint comes off with the tape. I clean everything properly before I start but it doesn't seem to help. I never had this problem when I used to airbrush Humbrol/Revell enamel paint. Is it necessary to do many thin coats to build up the thickness of the paint in order for it to stay on the kit? I usually do one medium coat and that's it (I do multiple coats on the body pieces). Sometimes only the paint comes off with the tape but other times the primer as well.

• Like 6

Primer and paint both coming off together suggest the possibility of a humidity problem. After that maybe too high a pressure from the airbrush if that is what you are using. If the paint is part dry before it hits plastic it won't stick well.

4 hours ago, TonyW said:

Primer and paint both coming off together suggest the possibility of a humidity problem. After that maybe too high a pressure from the airbrush if that is what you are using. If the paint is part dry before it hits plastic it won't stick well.

I am using spray cans. Never had an issue with the airbrush but then I used enamel paint. I believe the spray cans are nitrocellulose based paint.

Finally some good news. I glued the chassis and interior tub/engine bay together and the whole thing is much more straight now, probably not 100% but I think there is a chance all four wheels will touch the ground when the build is finished.

spacer.png

The engine is not glued in place yet (neither is the top of the engine which will come forward a bit) I just placed it where it is supposed to sit to see if it fits. It does but I am surprised at the angle of the engine I expected it to sit parallel to the ground I think it looks very strange but I cannot see anything wrong when I check the instructions. It is illustrated better in the photo below.

spacer.png

Next up I will paint the rest of the parts/details in the engine bay.

• Like 6

Ran out of flat black so I had to buy a new spray can. Same brand but turns out the new one was more flat than the old one. The old one looked more like satin black so I painted satin black over the new flat black but now the other parts look more flat. :) Will have to respray the dashboard and interior tub to have them all match.

spacer.png

Not much work done this week unfortunately hopefully more will get done next week.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 8

You can NEVER go wrong with a Terminator. These weren't my fave when they came out either................but......they did grow on me. The only thing I never cared for was that whole engine platform from 94 on in Fords. It just seemed that they got away from the simplistic way of doing things. GM transitioned from the good ol' small block to the GenIII V-8 which was still an OHV engine and much simpler (and cheaper to build) in design/layout than the Ford overhead cammed engines. All that stuff aside , these engines really packed a "whallop" in terms of power and were a force to be reckoned with back in the day. Depending on what's been done with them, they can still hold their own today.

Your progress is looking great bud.

• Like 1

On 7/22/2021 at 2:38 AM, mustang1989 said:

You can NEVER go wrong with a Terminator. These weren't my fave when they came out either................but......they did grow on me. The only thing I never cared for was that whole engine platform from 94 on in Fords. It just seemed that they got away from the simplistic way of doing things. GM transitioned from the good ol' small block to the GenIII V-8 which was still an OHV engine and much simpler (and cheaper to build) in design/layout than the Ford overhead cammed engines. All that stuff aside , these engines really packed a "whallop" in terms of power and were a force to be reckoned with back in the day. Depending on what's been done with them, they can still hold their own today.

Your progress is looking great bud.

'94/95 was still the tried and true Windsor.  They didn't go to the 4.6 Mod motors until '96.  Biggest change from the '89-93 engine to the '94/5 version was a bigger alternator and the shift to electric fans.

Just a heads up incase the instructions don't mention it, the SVT cars (Mustang Cobras, F-150 Lightnings) came from the factory w/ white gauge faces.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, helios16v said:

'94/95 was still the tried and true Windsor.  They didn't go to the 4.6 Mod motors until '96.  Biggest change from the '89-93 engine to the '94/5 version was a bigger alternator and the shift to electric fans.

Just a heads up incase the instructions don't mention it, the SVT cars (Mustang Cobras, F-150 Lightnings) came from the factory w/ white gauge faces.

That's right!! They had the GT 5.0 badges on the sides. Forgot about that one.

Painted the body, will wet sand and clear before it's done. I realized now the lighting in the photos is bad the second one shows best the real shade of blue.

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 13

New day new problems. Seems like Revell only molded a part (or three actually but should be one) of the rear axle frame.

spacer.png

spacer.png

At least that was all I found in the box. For someone who has never scratch built anything I wonder how difficult it would be to make one, probably easier than finding a replacement. I can see now that the last photo in my first post looks strange (top middle tree) but looks like there might be one more piece somewhere... 😒

Edited by dbostream
  • Like 1
  • Sad 6

12 hours ago, mustang1989 said:

Paint job looks GREAT!!!! Looking forward to the recovery on that differential

So do I, let's see if I can do it or if the build ends up in the bin.

I found the fourth piece that can be seen in my first post. Turns out the piece I circled in red is actually on the other side.

spacer.png

I will use the four pieces and the pictures in the instructions and try to draw the rear axel frame in Fusion 360 and 3d print it.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Almost two weeks with numerous versions I am starting to come close to a version that fits. Lots of parts that need to line up correctly.

spacer.png

spacer.png

When I am happy with the design I will send the stl-file to a friend who has a resin 3d-printer to get a better finish. 

Edited by dbostream
  • Like 9

• 11 months later...