Heller Citroen 2 CV, 1/43 JR's first car! FINISHED!!!

jean

Good day all,

glued the steering column, and it fits nicely.

I was worried as the shaft was broken in the box, being so fragile. Two attempts with Tamiya green top sorted that out. This pretty much ends the interior of the car.

Now all is left is the painting and detailing of the body. I guess I should try and scratch build a pair of wipers... As if life was not already difficult enough.

Here is a pic of the finished seats on wheels.

2 CV GB Photo 11

Have fun with your respective models.

JR

Edited by jean
  • Like 8

Hi,

I did manage to give the body a second coat of grey primer before the spray can died on me.

As Sod's Law would have it, in its last splutter, two small blobs of primer landed on the outside of the front left door.... Rats!

I nonetheless resisted the impulse to remove them there and then, knowing it would be a total disaster if I tried.

So now that they are dry I can attempt to do something with ultra fine sand paper and polishing cloth. No guaranties, but that is the only way forward....

Here is a photo of the body. Work in progress and really fun.

2 CV GB Photo 12

Cheers everyone.

JR

Edited by jean
  • Like 8

Hi everyone,

my Dodoche is slowly moving forward.

I have almost finished painting all the details on the body.

I am not used to working on fenders and headlights! 

The missing headlight, due to my legendary clumsiness, shall remain stashed away until the very end. Otherwise we all know what will happen!

Here are a couple of photos.

2 CV GB Photo 13

I managed to use a wash on the front grid. I am sure it could be better, but with the naked, and short sighted eye, it is fine.

I need to drill 2 holes below the winsdscreen to install scratch-built wipers, as the ones on the windscreen do not cut the ice.

2 CV GB Photo 14

So hopefully before the weekend, this 2 CV will go to the gallery.

Thanks for looking.

JR

• Like 7

That looks very…..’cute’👍

Didn’t early 2CV’s only have one headlamp anyway?

My memory of the things here in the UK in the 80’s was that they were always maroon, had the big boot box extension plonked on the back and of course a “Nuclear Power? No thanks!” sticker in the window and usually written in German. Dunno why?!

Treveur

• Haha 3

22 minutes ago, Max Headroom said:

My memory of the things here in the UK in the 80’s was that they were always maroon, had the big boot box extension plonked on the back and of course a “Nuclear Power? No thanks!” sticker in the window and usually written in German. Dunno why?!

Treveur

Hi Treveur,

cute is too kind for a 2 CV! But legends do not have to be beautiful to be legends.

You have it down pat about the 2 CV! Anti nuclear stickers were the norm, and I suspect they may have been applied at the factory!

Myself had a sticker which ranted (in French!) against a new nuclear submarine base in Brittany... Jeune con que j'etais!

But it was still a fun car, and you did not have to remove several miles of piping to take a glimpse at the engine! Spare wheel and suitcases fitted nicely under the front bonnet.

Cheers

JR

• Like 1

If you can find it, Discovery Channel has a show called ‘Wheeler Dealers’ where old cars are spruced up and sold on. They did a (very) old hand brushed in blue example several years ago when the great Edd China was still the spanner wielder.

Trevor

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Max Headroom said:

Treveur,

you are getting mixed up with Cyclops!

Deux Chevaux are not THAT old!

JR

On 28/07/2021 at 13:04, Max Headroom said:

Treveur

The TPV prototypes for the 2CV, built before the 1939-45 war, only had a single headlamp because that was all that was apparently necessary.

Hi everybody,

I am nearing the finish line, and I am still enjoying this small build.

I had to remove the ridiculous representation of the wipers on the front windscreen, polish the cristal and was finally able to glue the transparency to the body, and the latter to the chassis!

I am left with scratch building the wipers, gluing the missing front light and dealing with the decals of the registration plates.

That should be tackled quite quickly, I hope.

Here are two photos showing the progress to date:

2 CV GB Photo 15

2 CV GB Photo 16

Keep having fun!

JR

• Like 9

Hi everyone,

finally glued the missing headlight and the registration plate decals.

The latter are for a 2 CV registered in the Calvados department, in Normandy. It could be worse!

Just need to scratch build two windscreen wipers and this little car will be finished....

I have already taken all the measurements for the wipers, and they are not going to be big!

Here are a couple of photos:

2 CV GB Photo 18

2 CV GB Photo 17

Cheers for now,and keep having fun.

JR

Edited by jean
  • Like 8

9 hours ago, PeterB said:

Nice build Jean.

The only 2CV I ever saw were all "Battleship Grey" but I guess they did come in other colours.

Pete

Hi Pete,

thanks for the compliment.

Early 2 CVs were all painted in very drab and uninspiring colors, mostly in various shades of grey or a depressing blue grey, if I recall correctly.

Much later did they jazz them up with orange, yellow, maroon, etc.

As the kit portrays an early one of slightly undefined vintage, I have gone for the uninspiring!

But it does look 100% a 2 CV.

Have a great weekend.

JR

• Like 2

2 hours ago, JOCKNEY said:

Now all we need to do is find a 1:1 scale one in Zimbabwe. 

It will be just the thing to nip the 200 miles to the local shops with the top down in !

Cheers Pat

Hi Pat,

thankfully, our nearest shops are only 72 miles away, on the most atrocious dirt roads and what can be found of the tar road in between the potholes....

Harare is a nice 310 miles...

The funny thing is, a 2 CV would have no problem on these roads, unlike many much newer cars! Finding one would be the problem though.

I have just finished the wipers. Just need to paint them, glue them on the model, and take the latter to its case without tripping on the staircase...

Have a great weekend and regards to the Clan!

JR

• Like 1

Hi everyone,

I have managed to glue the windscreen wipers that I did scratch.

It could be worse, so I am quite happy with the way they look.

This concludes this build of my first foray into car modelling. It was a lot more fun than I initially expected. Way out of my comfort zone, but modelling is modelling: the basics remain the same, whatever one builds.

Here is a single photo of the finished Dodoche.

I will take  bunch of photos tomorrow in natural light for this thread and the gallery, hoping a baboon won't grab the car and run away with it while making engine noise!

Here is the photo:

2 CV GB Photo 19

Have fun!

JR

Edited by jean
  • Like 9

• jean changed the title to Heller Citroen 2 CV, 1/43 JR's first car! FINISHED!!!

Great result JR, you've got me hankering for some tarte tatin washed down with some cidre followed by a calvados as a digestif!

Nice one sir!

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Wez said:

Great result JR, you've got me hankering for some tarte tatin washed down with some cidre followed by a calvados as a digestif!

Nice one sir!

Hi Wez,

You have just ruined my day!!!!

Why did you have to mention tarte Tatin!!!?????

Oh damn, and I have no apples at home!

JR

• Haha 2

Hi everyone,

here are a few photos I took outside late this morning.

The sun was already too harsh, but it is better than an artificial lighting.

I will have a word with the guy who cleaned my windscreen... Hired help is becoming a problem.

2 CV GB Photo 20

2 CV GB Photo 21

2 CV GB Photo 22

2 CV GB Photo 23

As mentioned a few times during the build, it was the most enjoyable kit. Its simplicity made up for my lack of experience in vehicle modeling.

There is a lot I could have done better, but I am quite satisfied with the result.

Thanks to you all for your support.

JR

• Like 7