1/35 Tamiya M51 Degem Alfe (First Batch)

This is the Tamiya M51 Sherman backdated with parts from the Tamiya M1 Sherman, Mr Models Metal Gun Barrel, Shapeway 3D printed parts and some Legend Stowage for the M51, to represent the first batch of M51 Sherman's to enter service with the IDF around 1962, this version had the Continental R-975 engine fitted, the first pattern muzzle break no reinforcing bracing to the sides, exhaust deflector, original stowage layout only one stowage box either side, no spare wheels on the hull side, only one jerry can on the rear and spare track on the hull side.

Inspiration was taken from the photo on page 39 of The Lioness and Lion of the line Volume 2 M50 and M51, showing a M51 Batch 1 in the Negev desert on a possible live fire exercise or as the caption reads "during a long drill that took place in the beginning of the 1960's".

This is the first bit of armour I have built in years and I loved it, tried out a lot of new techniques well for me anyway, some I liked some not so, worst one was using the VMS Satin varnish it left a gritty texture to some of the surfaces, (Still trying to figure out what I did wrong as a test piece later it went down nice and smooth) but a few coats of Future helped to level it out a bit.

Well I have enjoyed this so much I have started on the Batch 2 M51's one based on the M4A3 hull and one on on the M4A1 hull (Tamiya M51 kits combined with the Tamiya M4A3E8 Korean War Kit)

51303037710_c484c07eb1_c.jpg

51301275242_828b3a6101_c.jpg

51302210953_bb3645ec9a_c.jpg

51302020681_5c57bc107d_c.jpg

51302737679_a16f580644_c.jpg

51301275617_113b599fc6_c.jpg

51301072730_47c4e311aa_c.jpg

• Like 13

Excellently made and painted. The subtle weathering is rather well done. Top job.👏

As an aside the grittiness you mentioned may have been the main coat being sprayed to far away/paint drying before it hits the vehicle and then the satin coat highlighting it. This has happened to me before so I give it a gentle rub down with a tough brush or very fine grit paper.

2 hours ago, Stef N. said:

Excellently made and painted. The subtle weathering is rather well done. Top job.👏

As an aside the grittiness you mentioned may have been the main coat being sprayed to far away/paint drying before it hits the vehicle and then the satin coat highlighting it. This has happened to me before so I give it a gentle rub down with a tough brush or very fine grit paper.

Thanks for the heads up on the paint, its the first time I have used Mig acrylic and acrylic thinner, normal I will use a  lacquer based paint or Mr Colour or Tamiya paint thinned with lacquer thinner

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...