I have the Revell boxing of this kit and I've just ordered the Alley Cat seamless intakes. I've bookmarked your build as a reference as what to aim for with the weathering.

excellent build

rgds

John(shortCummins)

• Like 1

What a beautiful Phantom!  The weathering on the elevator metal parts is spot on, never saw something better! Is that done with salt technique, or splatter mask?

Thx for sharing 

Andy 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Andy Dyck said:

splatter mask?

Yes, I sprayed Tamiya smoke through a splatter mask.

Thanks for all the comments & compliments, greatly appreciated :)

Very nice indeed.

I am halfway through building the same kit albeit in much later livery. Nice kit although I have found the fit to be poor around the wing to fuse areas front and back?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, DrumBum said:

I have found the fit to be poor around the wing to fuse areas front and back?

Having built a couple of these, I have found a way to reduce this issue.

I attach the lower wing, before adding the upper panels, to the fuselage first.

This allows me to get the fuselage joins as close as possible.

It still needs some filling and sanding, but not as much.

Thanks again for all the comments & compliments :)

• Like 1

Very inspirational. When you see builds like this I’m sure it puts the prices of kits up, for those of us that then have a look to buy a kit. Dam you:lalala:

• Haha 1

Brilliant Work, Angelo. You have really captured the look of the early RAF Phantoms extremely well and the finish is excellent. My only comment would be with regard to the weapons fit. The early RAF Germany based Phantoms (including those operated by 14 Sqn) were primarily optimised for Strike Attack missions and I don't think (though I may be wrong) that they were ever flown with AIM-9 Sidewinders. They were more commonly observed with SNEB rocket pods, 'Iron' Bombs, BL755 Cluster Bombs or practice bomb carriers (CBLUs).

Otherwise, very well done, Sir !   

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tiger331 said:

Brilliant Work, Angelo. You have really captured the look of the early RAF Phantoms extremely well and the finish is excellent. My only comment would be with regard to the weapons fit. The early RAF Germany based Phantoms (including those operated by 14 Sqn) were primarily optimised for Strike Attack missions and I don't think (though I may be wrong) that they were ever flown with AIM-9 Sidewinders. They were more commonly observed with SNEB rocket pods, 'Iron' Bombs, BL755 Cluster Bombs or practice bomb carriers (CBLUs).

Otherwise, very well done, Sir !   

Thanks for that.

I wasn't aware of this, but it appears that in Germany Phantoms were being used for air defence from 1974 onwards, which is before the date of my model.

Before that it was the Lightnings that took care of that role.

As more Jaguars became available to release the Phantoms from the ground attack role, Lightnings were replaced by the Phantom.

Every day is a school day ! :)

2 hours ago, HL-10 said:

Thanks for that.

I wasn't aware of this, but it appears that in Germany Phantoms were being used for air defence from 1974 onwards, which is before the date of my model.

Before that it was the Lightnings that took care of that role.

As more Jaguars became available to release the Phantoms from the ground attack role, Lightnings were replaced by the Phantom.

Every day is a school day ! :)

It was actually a little bit later still. I lived in Malta between 1976-79 and during that time the RAF Lightning and (UK-based) Phantom force regularly deployed on APC Camps, including (in the early period) Lightning F.2As from 19 & 92 Sqn. IIRC 19 Sqn converted to the Phantom FGR.2 in 1976 with 92 following some six months later in 1977 with the residue of RAFG based FGR.2s returning to the UK to re-equip existing ADF Lightning Sqns. We subsequently moved to Cyprus where the 19 & 92 Sqn Phantoms were a regular sight since the APC Camps re-located there after the closure of RAF Luqa in 1978/79.    

Anyway, none of this really detracts from the fact that you produced a great looking RAF Phantom !

• Like 1