Spot of the Day at Goodwood

Sabrejet

Just a few from Thursday/Friday: only a small number of may favourites, but a good start:

McMurtry electric single-seater: 800bhp and up to an hour of racing. It was tiny and driven very quickly by proper hill climber Alex Summers.

Spice SE88C. A perennial favourite and one from my Golden Era.

The new Glickenhaus Hypercar: the future of endurance racing I hope.

Bill Thomas Cheetah. This one has been on my 1/24 dream list for a very long time. And continues owner Duncan Pittaway's obsession with cars that will kill you if you're not careful.

Porsche RS Spyder. Driven by Roger Penske himself on the Friday.

Aston Martin Valkyrie. Yes, very loud and very quick since you ask.

• Like 13

9 minutes ago, Kitkent said:

It's the Cheetah for me too,does this car live in England? Would love a 1/24 kit as well.....Chris.

Yes it lives near Bristol. Marsh Models did a 1/43 kit but a 1/24 full-detail kit must be long overdue by now.

That McMurtry lightweight is just a Batmobile, isn’t it? I must admit, I’ve never got the love for the Cheetah: handles like a dog, fries the driver, and looks like a Palmer caricature of a Daytona Cobra that’s been beaten with the ugly stick… 😜

best,

M.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

9 hours ago, cmatthewbacon said:

I must admit, I’ve never got the love for the Cheetah: handles like a dog, fries the driver, and looks like a Palmer caricature of a Daytona Cobra that’s been beaten with the ugly stick… 😜

Possibly why I love A-10s too. The Cheetah looks like the sort of car that would punch you in the face if you spilled its pint. And by the way I think it has one of the best-looking rear ends on a race car. And yes I have told the wife.

• Like 2

Now if you're talking ugly, this thing takes first prize. It looks like it was kicked out of the ugly tree, hit every branch on the way down, caught fire and was extinguished with a spade. It's called a McLaren Elva, which means that not only is it offensive to the eye, but in name too because those lovely Elva Mk.VIIs and Elva Couriers will forever be linked to this atrocity.

On the positive side, it does mean that the McLaren Senna is not the ugliest car in the world now.

• Like 2

That's just awful! They've even cribbed the old Elva colour scheme,its horrible. I'm off to the the Goodwood leftovers at the Brands Hatch Superprix today,historic racing cars. About 9 races today but apparently the public still have no access to the paddock,which is normally the best bit. Chris.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Kitkent said:

That's just awful! They've even cribbed the old Elva colour scheme,its horrible. I'm off to the the Goodwood leftovers at the Brands Hatch Superprix today,historic racing cars. About 9 races today but apparently the public still have no access to the paddock,which is normally the best bit. Chris.

Same at Shelsley a few weeks ago: I usually spend more time in the paddock than anywhere else but it was good to hear, see and smell what we've missed for more than a year. Hopefully paddock access will follow before the end of the year, at some venues at least.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Sabrejet said:

Now if you're talking ugly, this thing takes first prize. It looks like it was kicked out of the ugly tree, hit every branch on the way down, caught fire and was extinguished with a spade. It's called a McLaren Elva, which means that not only is it offensive to the eye, but in name too because those lovely Elva Mk.VIIs and Elva Couriers will forever be linked to this atrocity.

On the positive side, it does mean that the McLaren Senna is not the ugliest car in the world now.

Elva is just not proportional. Especially with the US-mandatory bolt-on windscreen. Besides, why would 149 people want to spend GBP1.4million on a topless windscreen-less slightly more powerful 765LT with blower on it? Just wait for a 765LT Spider and get BAC Mono if you want a stone on your face. And use the GBP700k change to buy something else. A secondhand Senna, perhaps. Or a GT3 Touring and some changes.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Sabrejet said:

Same at Shelsley a few weeks ago: I usually spend more time in the paddock than anywhere else but it was good to hear, see and smell what we've missed for more than a year. Hopefully paddock access will follow before the end of the year, at some venues at least.

I too am a paddock / service area trawler . I love the atmosphere and being able to get amongst the cars . Glad I'm not the only one !

Gary . 

• Like 1