Revell 1/24 GT350 H (Hertz) - Completed

HoolioPaulio

I too shall be building the GT 350 H, but luckily I never intended on doing mine black (as there's already a couple in the GB).  But I would like to utilise the gold graphics.  I already have a plan in my noggin for this build, been waiting for this one for a while (I got the kit for Xmas in preparation for this GB).  However, progress may be a little slow at the start as I still have two kits on the go for the 'Less Than A Tenner' GB, I have recently been suffering from a lack of enthusiasm to build.

6IOlpPs.jpg

• Like 10

So I got all the parts primed early evening, and that was supposed to be it for the night, so I went on the PS5 for a bit

0oz6i8E.jpg

But here I am at 2am with all the parts painted and ready for top coating, then trying to detail the rocker covers.

GeyocCH.jpg

• Like 7

Slow progress due to the heat recently, its still just over 30°C in my little hobby cave at midnight.  But I have slowly prepped and primed the chassis and wheel parts, hopefully get them painted tomorrow.

cMBkzW6.jpg

• Like 8

1 hour ago, mustang1989 said:

This is off to a great start bud and I really like that engine build up. 

Thanks, and thanks to the engine image on your build thread (which I'm linking for my reference if you don't mind, as I couldn't find any suitable engine pics) I see from the terribly ambiguous Revell instructions I've painted the wrong parts of my rocker covers black.  Which is a relief, as I gave up trying to neatly paint the raised lines, and just badly painted the raised lettering.  Will need to strip it and correct it.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, HoolioPaulio said:

Thanks, and thanks to the engine image on your build thread (which I'm linking for my reference if you don't mind, as I couldn't find any suitable engine pics) I see from the terribly ambiguous Revell instructions I've painted the wrong parts of my rocker covers black.  Which is a relief, as I gave up trying to neatly paint the raised lines, and just badly painted the raised lettering.  Will need to strip it and correct it.

No worries at all. The method I use for painting rocker covers like this after stripping the chrome off of them, I paint the black of course....but I don't paint the raised details. I use a Prismacolor silver lead pencil to drag across the raised details. Painting the raised details, at least for me, presents alot of opportunity for disaster. lol 

Here's the engine in my Maverick as an example:

cdT4Hk.jpg

Edited by mustang1989
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, HoolioPaulio said:

Did Monogram tool up new valve covers for the '66 Hertz kit or use the same ones that were in the '65 GT350?   If they're the '65 type (I suspect they are), you can just paint them as bare aluminium, as they were still used for early '66 production.  You could probably get away with that anyway, I doubt most people would know the difference.

Edit - see link below. If you scroll down a bit, it shows the early type with outline letters, and the later type with solid letters and more defined ribbing.

https://www.diyford.com/shelby-mustang-history-1966-gt350-softening-edges/

Edited by Six97s
  • Thanks 1

We have a rolling chassis.  I decided against doing anything with the valve covers as I forgot they were already fitted so didn't want to risk making things worse.  Its getting a custom paint job so they are custom too :)

Sv47oj5.jpg

WjAATVL.jpg

• Like 12

Well that was the most nerve wracking part of the build so far, taking this

Oa9m0bT.jpg

And with a small drill and file turning it into this

M0EMnix.jpg

Not perfect, but they look better.  I wanted to just buy some resin ones and sand these off completely, but the only ones I could find (thanks to some elses thread in this GB but I can't remember who or find it again) are in the US.  Very well priced at $3 a set but $26 shipping to UK is unjustifiable unfortunately.

• Like 10

You're braver than I am (or indeed plan to be) drilling out that door handle. But I don't think you can argue with the end result. I'm very impressed that you managed to drill through the handle so close to the body without making a mess of the door panel.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I agree on the door handle drill-out kudos to HoolioPaulio.  I used a set of the resin Fireball 1/25 door handles on the miserable 1/25 AMT Mustang "Funny Car" kit (which is molded without door handles even though it's mean't to depict a "door slammer").  Fireball only makes door handles for GM's and Mopars but I would think either would be fine on a Ford at this scale.  They are very nice and worth the $ if, like me, your not quite as skilled (and as brave) as Hoolio

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 7/29/2021 at 7:35 PM, nearsightedjohn said:

I agree on the door handle drill-out kudos to HoolioPaulio.  I used a set of the resin Fireball 1/25 door handles on the miserable 1/25 AMT Mustang "Funny Car" kit (which is molded without door handles even though it's mean't to depict a "door slammer").  Fireball only makes door handles for GM's and Mopars but I would think either would be fine on a Ford at this scale.  They are very nice and worth the $ if, like me, your not quite as skilled (and as brave) as Hoolio

I'll be picking a set of these up.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

My apologies peeps, all 3 of my current group builds got put on hold, I had a lot on in real life and didn't get much time for modelling.  But I return from a family break in a lodge in the woods in North Wales all refreshed.  Over the last couple of weeks though I have been acquiring various components for an upgrade I plan to add to this to hopefully make it stand out a little.

I had also painted some detail to the door cards in Molotow chrome prior to going away, which need a bit of tidying up.  Will get some pictures posted as soon as I can.

• Like 4

Breaks are nice. Just got through with a short one myself but it was much needed. My wife and I haven't "gotten away" in three years and it's alot more important than any modeling I can say that.

Looking forward to more progress and I'm glad I looked in here because I've gotta go pick my dang door handles that I keep forgetting about.

EDIT: JUST ordered 'em!! 🙃

Edited by mustang1989
  • Haha 1

You are quite correct @mustang1989 getting away is very important for the mind.  And wait no more, here is a small update :)

Seats are ready for top coating, I did the main bit anthracite grey, and then just lightened it a smidge for the centre ribbing (doesn't look that different in photos, but in real life it is subtle but noticeable).  A bit of Molotow chrome for the brackets on the sides.

br61dsV.jpg

Some detailing in the tub done.  Not 100% happy with the chrome on the door panels, but it doesn't look that ganky to the naked eye and I'm struggling getting it neat with the angle of attack with the paint brush required.  I could have done a neater job if the side panels were separate pieces.  Pedals are quite tidy though, done in aluminium.

yUECmY8.jpg

And the shifter (is that the US term for gear stick?) is ready for a top coat to protect the paint from the decal setting solution.

MCX5c9L.jpg

Steering wheel is ready for top coat then decal.

vrjKmVQ.jpg

Dials have had a coat of Molotow, ready for top coat and decals, and thanks to the heads up from @Spiny about the speedo decal being too small for the opening I'll need to paint the speedo dial black before applying that decal.  Or if I'm feeling brave have a go at his wash method...

NFQEBQo.jpg

Dash done anthracite with Molotow chrome for the detail, ready for top coat before decal.

J4qWEas.jpg

And finally my switch is in place, using UV curing resin

o3cBNQ5.jpg

GO8LOYb.jpg

• Like 6

Looks terrific so far. Love all the details.

Ya see....Revell got it right here with the ejector pin marks. They are UNDER the seat unlike other examples I've seen where they are in the PERFECT wrong place with one in each corner of the floor. Your progress is looking great bud.

spacer.png

Edited by mustang1989
  • Thanks 1

Glad to help with the speedo. You mentioned about not being happy with the chrome - I presume you mean the edging? If so, you can get a neater edge by painting the dark paint up to the chrome (small brush shoudl work) rather than trying to get the edge with the chrome on top. Should still be doable there.

I agree too about the ejector pin marks on this kit being done correctly and hidden under the seats - I mean how do manufacturers expect us to remove them from 'carpet' without adding our own later?

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Apologies, I had to take a short break on this when I realised there was less than two weeks left on the Less Than a Tenner GB.  But now I've managed to finish something for that one I could come back and finish the interior.

oaZ3X2a.jpg

17GhjH3.jpg

• Like 8