Ferrari 330 P4 - Fujimi 1:24 by fnick

Morning all. Once again thanks for the comments and the likes.

Lights and grill are in. Next steps are the light covers and the front windscreen (which I am not looking forward to doing...)

spacer.png

spacer.png

Thanks for looking, Nick

• Like 12

I don't recall the windscreen being a problem on my Fujimi 330.

I think I stuck it in with a strong PVA glue. I don't use styrene cement, too much risk of melting the plastic. CA is out. I hate the stuff. I always end up with it sticking to me, not the intended site! Not only that, but there's the risk of fogging...

Yours does look very good.

Cheers,

Alan.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Alan R said:

I don't recall the windscreen being a problem on my Fujimi 330.

I think I stuck it in with a strong PVA glue. I don't use styrene cement, too much risk of melting the plastic. CA is out. I hate the stuff. I always end up with it sticking to me, not the intended site! Not only that, but there's the risk of fogging...

Yours does look very good.

Cheers,

Alan.

I don't want to jink it for you, but I don't recall any fitment issues with the front screen either, definitely just used Microscale Kristal Klear.  I also agree with Alan, yours does look very good - Andy 

• Thanks 1

Hi all

I tried to put the windscreen on this morning and made a complete mess of it...☹️. My own stupid fault. Started with PVA but then tried to use some thin cement to help. And yes got it on my fingers and on the screen... That aside the screen is not sitting flush against body and it can't really be taped or clamped.

Any advice on how I can try and bend it into shape? I've heard of using hot (how hot?) water. If I can get it to conform then it will be a lot easier.

Cheers, Nick

• Sad 1

9 hours ago, Fnick said:

I've heard of using hot (how hot?) water.

When I use this method I use water hot enough that I can just put a finger in without scalding it. If this doesn't work I then try to tape the part in as close to the finally needed shape as possible to a flat surface and pour (carefully!) water from a freshly boiled kettle over it. Then let it cool and hope it doesn't have 'memory' that springs it back to its distorted shape....

Also, as on my recent Calibra build, if I have a screen that is difficult to fit, as long as the body is still open and not attached to chassis/interior, I'll often use superglue and accelerator to fit it - with the body being open, any fogging that does occur, or any wayward superglue, can be polished off.

Keith

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the advice Keith.

I did manage to bend the windscreen a little but in the process of handling it when cool it cracked... And the during glue curing the masking tape I had put on wasn't clearly enough to keep it in place so the fit isn't great to say the least. But it's on which is the main thing... A brutal close up of the mess I've made of it...

spacer.png

As you can see not great. I'll see what I can do in terms of polishing etc but I really don't want to risk making it worse or breaking it. I'm going to leave it well alone for now and crack on with the rest of the build. 

Nick

Edited by Fnick
  • Sad 7

Thanks Colin. I've yet to have a problem free build! Not sure whether that says anything about me, the builds or both! 🙂

I'm still hoping to achieve am acceptable result and that the windscreen will not distract too much from it but we shall see.

Nick

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Fnick said:

I've yet to have a problem free build!

I don't think any of Us have.  Some of my best builds are displayed in a way that you can't see the scratch,  paint imperfections,  glue mark, missing bit,  finger mark.......etc. Andy 

• Like 4

12 hours ago, Fnick said:

Thanks for the advice Keith.

I did manage to bend the windscreen a little but in the process of handling it when cool it cracked... ++

Nick

What a bummer.

Is that windscreen bent threedimensionally or could you build a new one bending/rolling a sheet of clear material?

Another one here who has yet to get a build without any issues. And I think we've all had at least one of THOSE builds which seem to put up a fight. The odd thing is when you get to the end there's an extra layer of satisfaction due to have been in a battle and won out.

I can't really offer much in the way of advice with regard to the windscreen. But I have seen that some of the aircraft people dip their canopies in PledgeFuture (now called Revive It) to get a good finish. Not sure if that would help to hide the stress microcracking but possibly worth a try once you've polished off the superglue fogging? (Fully disclosure, I haven't tried this so this would be very much at risk!).

Keep at it, there's a good result waiting to appear at the end of all of this.

• Like 2