Ferrari 330 P4 - Fujimi 1:24 by fnick

42 minutes ago, Fnick said:

I can tell you I wasn't even close to being that polite! It's a 3d shape so not much chance of scratch building it well not for me at least!

It would be a maiden voyage for me too, but other modellers here manage to vacform clear parts ...

The "rest" or "beginning" of the car looks so good (or at least "promising") it might well be worth the effort to try to build a new windscreen (maybe even without vacuum just pulling heated clear material over a shape taken from the old windscreen). I doubt those cracks can be filled with some clear acrylic or UV curing glue or whatever.

A truely great modeller admits to goof up now and then too, and in some cases he buys more than one kit of the subject, so he gets a second chance (yes, I'd be way too cheap to do THAT!)

• Like 1

Thanks for all the support and advice all. Very much appreciated. I will try and rescue the windscreen as much as I can but my intention at the moment is to leave the current one in as at least it means the car has a windscreen!

I'll finish the build off before tackling that one though more to give me a break from the windscreen than anything else.

All the parts are now painted so it's just a matter of assembly and then that small task of putting the new decals over the old ones... What could possibly go wrong!😋

Nick

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Please consider my contributions as "encouragement" not as "advice" 😉

And do consider getting a sheet of "Vivak" (PETg) 0,5mm. Unfortunately 0,5mm is like 12mm on a 1/24 car, but it is a beautifully clear material and it can be formed 2-dimensionally using "boiling" water as a heat source (don't let the finished part get warmer than 65°C afterwards!). I have no thorough experience with 3-dimensional forming of it (just "eyes for a dinosaur costume, where precision didn't count)

What could possibly go wrong!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Nick, I have no idea who imports Fujimi kits these days, but is there any info on the box as to who does - if there is it might be worth seeing if you can buy a replacement screen? 

I have made replacement screens from acetate before and vacformed replacement canopies for aircraft, but have to admit that I've never tried forming any that big or as complex a shape...

Keith

• Like 1

Hi Nick take a look at Kent Models mate they import model kits from Fujimi and many others. Drop them a message or give them a call you never know they might be able to help with a new screen 🙂👍

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Morning all

Well the modelling gods had a right laugh last weekend. One of the side windows fell off, the windscreen fell off,the radiator cover fell off and the front grill fell off too! 😄. And as my wife and kids were still asleep I had to vent my frustrations extremely quietly!

On the plus side, (no really) the windscreen falling off meant that I could give it a good sanding and polishing so at least I got rid of the glue residue.

All the bits got glued back on last weekend apart from the windscreen which is still curing as I type.

I also put in the rear windscreen decal to see how well that worked before trying the others.

Here is the old decal

spacer.png

And with the new one over the top.

spacer.png

Good news is that it's pretty easy to line them up and as a bonus the white is much stronger. The decals are a little bit translucent so as you can see in the first picture the bodywork red is showing through.

So windscreen aside I'm still hoping for a reasonable finish.

Thanks for looking, Nick

• Like 9

Looks much better with that second decal on.

Now for the big question - how brave are you feeling? To my eyes, since you've put the wash around the rear hatch the decal could really do with cutting through along that line too. But I can understand if you are reluctant to do so given how much this has fought you along the way.

• Like 1

Thank you all for the encouragement!

Spiny i was hoping the decal would confirm to the hatch like the first one but that hasn't happened. I have no problem with cutting it since I need to do the same for the two side ones.

I have put the front decal on. Despite the old decal being sanded as smooth as I dared without upsetting the paintwork around it the new one has conformed to some of the small cracks! However that is only visible from up close and in the right light so I'll take that one on the chin!

The body is in the chassis now with the sides glued in and of course its at this point I realise I haven't put on the tyre decals yet! More fun to come.

Nick

• Like 8

Evening all

Here's the latest. It's nearly finished! I say nearly because I've not glued on the wing mirrors and I'm not sure about doing that. A lot of photos don't seem to show them and the kit ones just look oversized so I am tempted to leave them off. I also need to touch up a few places where paint has been chipped off.

It has had a final polish so here are the not so quite final pics

spacer.png

spacer.png

You can see the windscreen crack in all its glory in the first one...☹️ But not the second 😄.direct light on it doesn't help to be fair...

I'll need another session for the final touches and then it's taking the DSLR out for RFI pics

Thanks for looking, Nick

• Like 9

For the Le Mans race only, the berlinetta Ferrari P4's were fitted with faired-in external mirrors, which look bigger than the regular mirrors.

spacer.png

Hope this helps.

Trevor

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thank you all! 😊 

I might temporarily place the mirrors holding them with blue tak to see how they actually look before making a final decision though my hunch is as Ben says they will appear oversized especially compared to the photo posted by Trevor.

As well as touching up the paint one thing I forgot is that I bought a set of PE rivets in various scales. I'll see if some are ok to put around the lights etc as a small enhancement. 

Nick

Quick mockup with one of the wing mirrors

spacer.png

Compare it with the photo above and in my humble opinion it's way too big so I'm leaving them off.

Nick

Edited by Fnick
  • Like 3

24 minutes ago, Fnick said:

Quick mockup with one of the wing mirrors

spacer.png

Compare it with the photo above and in my humble opinion it's way too big so I'm leaving them off.

Nick

Good idea Nick they look bloody awful 😕 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1