Ferrari 330 P4 - Fujimi 1:24 by fnick

Morning all

Small amount of progress at last ! Especially since (hopefully!) all spraying work is done on the Cadillac and I can fully concentrate on this one for now.

Below are steps 1 and 2 of the instructions done!😄

spacer.png

Took a bit longer than planned as I forgot how poor the coverage is for Revell metallic paints (silver excepted). Took me about 8 coats to get the wheels to an acceptable finish ...

Thanks for looking, Nick

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

The 330 P4 is one of my favourite racers from that period. When I built mine a few years ago, Bright Red was not available but I wouldn't have used it. I used Italian Red and even that might be a tad too bright and Bright Red looks too orange. I think if you had given the decals a coat of Tamiya clear they might have behaved better. I didn't have any problems with my kit. Regarding the clearcoat you have 'sealed' everything with. In the period the cars were painted with ordinary auto lacquer there was no such thing as super shiny 2K. I use a Auto Glym Super Resin Polish, applied with a cotton wool ball. It gives an excellent finish. Just the way I build mine...

Colin

• Like 2

On 8/15/2021 at 7:25 AM, Fnick said:

Morning all

Small amount of progress at last ! Especially since (hopefully!) all spraying work is done on the Cadillac and I can fully concentrate on this one for now.

Below are steps 1 and 2 of the instructions done!😄

spacer.png

Took a bit longer than planned as I forgot how poor the coverage is for Revell metallic paints (silver excepted). Took me about 8 coats to get the wheels to an acceptable finish ...

Thanks for looking, Nick

I used a rattle can of gold I got from the local hardware store, which I'd used before on a curtis Schneider cup job. I thought I might have a problem with adhesion, but it worked well, to my eye anyway. The brand was plastikote, apparently a 'fast dry enamel.'

• Like 1

Cheers for the comments gents. Always interesting to see the various ways people attack the same kit.

Regarding colour choices I limited myself to Tamiya spray cans and I used Italian red although I also have seen it called bright red! 

3 hours ago, heloman1 said:

think if you had given the decals a coat of Tamiya clear

That is exactly what I did 🙂 but unfortunately I applied a wet coat too early...😞.

I get your point about the clear finish it does look rather thick and gleaming in the photos but I still need to sand it down and polish it back up. I found on my Chrysler 300C that that made it looks more like glossy paint rather than paint with a clear coat on it so hopefully I will get the same outcome here.

Cheers, Nick

Morning all

A bit more progress. 

spacer.png

spacer.png

Yes I didn't mod the dash...😔. I haven't got putty to hand and would have wanted a practice run. The eagle eyed among you will notice one less switch at the bottom of the dash. That's because when I installed the seats I thought I had done it correctly but when I tried to install the dash the bottom of it bumped on the black partition between the seats...😠. Trying to remove the seats was too risky in my opinion so I just snipped the bottom of the dash instead!

Next up seatbelts. Thanks for looking.

Nick

• Like 5

Thanks Andy! 

12 minutes ago, Toftdale said:

the view of the dash is very limited

Yes that is such a shame in most kits. I do enjoy detailing dashboards. Next car after this is the Cadillac eldorado which I will do with the top down so the dash, warts and all will be highly visible! 😋

4 hours ago, Fnick said:

Cheers Keith although I have just spotted a small scratch between the vent and third indicator from left so I'll have to paint that over!

Nick

It's a race car, say it was there on the real thing....!! :)

K

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Morning all

Chassis and engine work completed. As Andy said I had to add something to fill the gap where the engine should be. So my first attempt at an engine.. 

spacer.png

Well I did say it was my first attempt...😋

"Engine" painted and wheels on

spacer.png

The exhausts were a pain to get on. But apart from that reasonably pleased with how it's going. Next step is a big on. It's back onto the car body to sand back and polish the clear coat. After that I'll be able to add the new decals over the old ones.

Thanks for looking, Nick

Edited by Fnick
  • Like 8

• 2 weeks later...

Morning all

The next step was to sand and polish the body. Have to admit I'm very pleased with how it's come out. I think one previous models I was applying a bit too much pressure. I tried hard to let the sanding sheets and compounds do the work on this one.

Here's and overview of all the bits

spacer.png

And a close up of the body

spacer.png

I need to double check that the decals are super smooth as I will be applying the new ones over the top. That will be a major test in how well this model turns out... But that will be done after the body is on the chassis.

Thanks for looking, Nick

• Like 6